Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Germany finds passport photo morphing to present a border control challenge

Old Jan 8, 20, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Germany wants to centralize and limit German passport photo-taking to its own directly-controlled channels/cameras supposedly because of concerns about photo morphing software being used to fool border control authorities:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tel...-passport/amp/

Some other countries already centralize passport-photo taking to government-controlled channels/cameras. Sweden, for example, restricts passport photo-taking to police and embassy/consulate authorities and government-operated equipment, but that move was done before photo morphing software was a concern for border control authorities.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 9, 20 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:05 am

Other than the obvious hassle it would be, I think it's a good idea overall. BUT, I severely question why it costs €177 MILLION for them to buy photo booths. A 16MP Nikon point-and-shoot goes for €80. Even rounding up to €300 to include a tripod and other things, that'd still be 590,000 cameras they could buy.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:32 am

So stupid.
Is this a way of saying that "all Asians look alike"? Or, more probably in Germany that they cannot distinguish between brown-skinned people?
Humans are very good at distinguishing differences, I'd daresay better than a computer. But only for people they can distinguish between. I think because most of these Germans haven't spent any significant time in the Middle East, for example, they cannot actually differentiate them.
I do wonder if someone who lives in a place woman cover up everything except for their eyes can distinguish between women. In parts of Asia where women cover up with mask, long-sleeves, it seems like their children can still recognize them.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Did you actually read the article?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: