Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA rips apart my electric curlers every single trip

Old Dec 17, 19, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I have an old (very old) (super old) (I mean 40 year old) set of Clairol electric travel rollers. They still work great. However, on every trip TSA finds in necessary to take each one out of its "slot" where it fits perfectly then jam them all back in 8 ways from Sunday, along with taking the clips out of their little pouch and jamming them back in where they can easily be lost. Why? What do these rollers in a Clairol case look like on an xray or in person that makes them such a threat?
Old Dec 17, 19, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Old technology?

Likely electrical wiring curled through plastic. On an X-Ray that raises every red flag. You are traveling with something that looks like a bomb (trigger).

Either replace them with something from the 1980's or later ot simply ask to have them returned to you after inspection so that you can put them back together.
Old Dec 17, 19, 8:14 am
Original Poster

They are always in my checked luggage.

I don't believe the wiring is through plastic, what they do have is some sort of liquid inside (you can hear it if you shake the roller) which gets heated up to make them work...but aren't liquids allowed in your checked bags?
Old Dec 17, 19, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I can completely see how that contraption would look like a home made bomb in an x-ray.
Old Dec 17, 19, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
They are always in my checked luggage.

I don't believe the wiring is through plastic, what they do have is some sort of liquid inside (you can hear it if you shake the roller) which gets heated up to make them work...but aren't liquids allowed in your checked bags?
In that case, you have three options:
1. Replace them.
2. Travel without them.
3. Grin & bear it.

I can't imagine how 40-year old electrical equipment can possibly be safe under today's standards. Aren't you putting yourself at personal risk from use, putting aside the TSA inconvenience?
Old Dec 17, 19, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
In that case, you have three options:
1. Replace them.
2. Travel without them.
3. Grin & bear it.

I can't imagine how 40-year old electrical equipment can possibly be safe under today's standards. Aren't you putting yourself at personal risk from use, putting aside the TSA inconvenience?
Never thought of that. But the reason I like them is that they do not get super hot but rather just right for my hair. And it's a small case...just 8 rollers. And I'm always standing right there when I heat them up for the 30 seconds they need. But point taken about the safety aspect...they are so old they have the plug where both prongs are the same size.
Old Dec 17, 19, 9:07 am

Yes, liquids are allowed in checked baggage, but that doesnít mean they donít check them. Iím guessing what you have possibly looks like a fully assembled IED on x-ray.
Old Dec 17, 19, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your belongings are not returned in the state they were when the bag is checked take some pictures and file a complaint with TSA or the DHS OIG.. Even if an item needs to be inspected it should be treated carefully and with respect to the traveler.
LarryJ and Irpworks like this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure what an IED is, but it sounds bad.

And yeah right, sure, they treat things carefully. I think they are just so dumb they can't figure out how to put things into slots (or don't care).

I think I will look around for some new rollers, these really are on their last legs.
Old Dec 17, 19, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And yeah right, sure, they treat things carefully. I think they are just so dumb they can't figure out how to put things into slots (or don't care).

I think I will look around for some new rollers, these really are on their last legs.
IED = Improvised Explosive Device. Think Iraq or Afghanistan.

TSA doesnít hire hire at Harvard or Yale. Many of them are nice people who try hard but a lot of them are just dolts.
Irpworks likes this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
TSA doesnít hire hire at Harvard or Yale. Many of them are nice people who try hard but a lot of them are just dolts.
But the tsa does hire a large number of individuals that like to open closed things, unwrap/seal/remove/dump out what is inside and then drop everything back in the checked luggage it was removed from.
Irpworks and Georgia Peach like this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:08 pm

Bottom line is that if your checked bag is opened and inspected, there is no way that TSA will repack it for you. Complain all you want, but it won't happen.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Bottom line is that if your checked bag is opened and inspected, there is no way that TSA will repack it for you. Complain all you want, but it won't happen.
I have had several discussions with shift and site managers in reference to the conditions of checked items after tsa inspections. After reaching a first name relationship with one (in PHL) I can say that I had my bags returned 'trashed' on fewer occasions.
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
I have had several discussions with shift and site managers in reference to the conditions of checked items after tsa inspections. After reaching a first name relationship with one (in PHL) I can say that I had my bags returned 'trashed' on fewer occasions.
You think that of the thousands of bags they go through they singled you out because you complained?
Old Dec 17, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond

I love that you have and are still using something that is 40 years old. I am not saying that sarcastically. We live in such a disposable society. You've probably had these rollers through all kinds of life events, probably for more than half (three-quarters?) of your life. The thought of someone caring for something in a way that it will last for 40 years is truly heartwarming. Also, the thought of a company making something that will last for 40 years is similarly heartwarming.
bon mot and masurkar like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: