Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Airports which Allow Non-Passengers Airside Access

Airports which Allow Non-Passengers Airside Access

Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
I sure hope it expands to more airports! Being able to hang out inside Tom Bradley would be a dream come true.

I've heard many concerns from people who think that this will increase security lines and crowding. However, very few people (outside of avgeeks) would choose to go to an airport if they don't absolutely have to.
Oh yes, agreed on TBIT!

I'm wondering how they could possibly prioritize ticketed passengers, perhaps separate lines? Furthermore, I'd guess that trusted travelers won't be able to get through precheck on a pass like this.
mike.macrone likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Folks,

Please stay on your topics, but we are not talking about sexual assaults on minors or anybody else. Let stay on your topics. We are talking about non-ticketed passengers go beyond at security. So please do not talk about TSA or anybody else.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Why would anyone want to be subjected to being sexually assaulted by the TSA to go shopping or eat dinner.

Did you read of the steps people will have to take to do this?

http://atwonline.com/security/post-9...airside-access
I lived in Pittsburgh when the new airport opened and I could never understand why anyone in their right mind would ever go to the airport to shop. Granted, the west side of the metro area was not as build up as it is today, but still, there was far better options then the airport. Even prior to 9/11 security was still a PITA and not something most people would endure just to shop. As other posters have said, this will likely only be used by family to meet or send off their friends and relatives.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
As other posters have said, this will likely only be used by family to meet or send off their friends and relatives.
I think this is probably the most common scenario, although those same folks may shop/eat while waiting. Could also be folks who swing by to meet colleagues or clients for brief face-to-face meetings. And, of course, the rare individuals with an Admiral's Club membership who decide it's worth it to go there every day to eat for free in the lounge...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
I lived in Pittsburgh when the new airport opened and I could never understand why anyone in their right mind would ever go to the airport to shop.
From a different news article:

The Airmall is home to several stores or restaurants like Hugo Boss, Armani Jeans, and Bar Symon that are not found elsewhere in Pittsburgh. Mr. Zandi said Fraport is hoping to bring in several other brands that will be exclusive to the Airmall.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...s/201708280087
I have a vague memory that the latest major remodel at PIT in the late 90s had as its intention that the airport would double as a shopping destination as well as an airport. My memory is that the concourses were much wider than for other airports of the time, specifically because they were anticipating and hoping to promote wider traffic.

And then, (1) 9/11 happened, restricting concourses to ticketed passengers, and (2) USAir pulled out of Pittsburgh as a hub, which drove traffic through those concourses down substantially. I'm sure they've been trying to find ways to reverse that.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I thought this wasn't new at all? IIRC, PIT always had an option for non-ticketed passengers to go through security to the mall. I could be misremembering, though.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I thought this wasn't new at all? IIRC, PIT always had an option for non-ticketed passengers to go through security to the mall. I could be misremembering, though.
There most definitely was. You didn't need any special pass, just walk up to security and go through. Remember, there was no board pass checking prior to 9/11.
KRSW likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a novelty for lots of people to visit an airport. Not everyone flies constantly and therefore avoids airports like the plague when they don't have to travel.

People will take their kids, have a meal, do some shopping and won't mind or find problematic any of the concerns that a very small minority of people have about checkpoints.

And if they do, they are free to head elsewhere.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a novelty for lots of people to visit an airport. Not everyone flies constantly and therefore avoids airports like the plague when they don't have to travel.

People will take their kids, have a meal, do some shopping and won't mind or find problematic any of the concerns that a very small minority of people have about checkpoints.

And if they do, they are free to head elsewhere.
Even those who are not as disgusted and revolted by TSA screening as those of us in the TSS forum are unlikely to regard a shopping trip to Hugo Boss, Armani Jeans, or Bar Symon to be worth the hassles involved with:
* Standing in line at a counter to be vetted
* Standing in line with travelers at the c/p
* Disrobing
* Forgoing water bottles, pocket knives and multitools, any t-shirt, jewelry, or other accouterments vaguely resembling firearms or ammunition (and in some cases, legally carried firearms)
* Being yelled at and treated like an imbecile
* Passing through the WTMD and WBI
* Being groped by surly, uniformed strangers
* Having personal possessions confiscated
* Watching spouses and minor children endure all of the above

It's a lot to go through for a shopping trip to fairly expensive stores or an overpriced airport lunch, particularly when you factor in the drive to the airport and the cost of parking. And remember - this will only be allowed from 9am to 5pm on weekdays, when most people are at work and can't take the time for a 'quick' jaunt to the airport.

I don't expect this program to go over like gangbusters. There will be longer lines at the PearStore for the next PearPhone.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:30 am

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...901-story.html

But American Airlines flight attendants think the new program, set to start Tuesday, is a bad idea that will make it easier for terrorists to get access to the airport and will frustrate travelers with longer screening lines.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:48 am

I would like to seem some concrete extrapolations of their numbers. Number of terrorist caught by the TSA since its founding: ZERO. So what is this increase they speak of?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
One GA I talked to about this wondered if that will require 100% ID check with boarding pass when boarding every flight? As someone in over 250 domestic airports every year, this is not a change I would like to see system wide. I remember the crowded airports pre-911, and with even more people traveling now I can only envision the potential chaos at the gates, long lines for vendors, and even more crowding in the clubs. Hopefully I'll be retired before it comes to that.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
One GA I talked to about this wondered if that will require 100% ID check with boarding pass when boarding every flight? As someone in over 250 domestic airports every year, this is not a change I would like to see system wide. I remember the crowded airports pre-911, and with even more people traveling now I can only envision the potential chaos at the gates, long lines for vendors, and even more crowding in the clubs. Hopefully I'll be retired before it comes to that.

Oh I certainly hope not, or you can guarantee even more delays. GA's have a hard enough time getting international travelers to be prepared with their passports open when boarding, imagine if it was extended to all flights. Just imagine all the people holding up the line who misplaced their ID's etc.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Oh I certainly hope not, or you can guarantee even more delays. GA's have a hard enough time getting international travelers to be prepared with their passports open when boarding, imagine if it was extended to all flights. Just imagine all the people holding up the line who misplaced their ID's etc.
She said, how else are we supposed to insure non-traveler didn't switch places with traveler after thru security?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
She said, how else are we supposed to insure non-traveler didn't switch places with traveler after thru security?
If they are screened who cares?

Doesn't that exact situation exist today given that TSA refuses to conduct 100% screening of airport workers?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.