Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

British family on vacation accidentally drove into the U.S.

Old Oct 15, 19, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, SK, UR, MR

Sorry, if this belongs in another forum.

Unfortunately I can’t say the following scenario is much of a surprise.

“The vacationing family says this was the moment their trip turned into “the scariest experience of our lives.””

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/15/eileen-connors-british-family-ice-vacation-detention/
Old Oct 15, 19, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also posted here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...us-canada.html
Old Oct 16, 19, 2:51 am

That link doesn't work for me. Says I don't have access...

This story really makes my blood boil. It's not even close to being as bad as how asylum seekers are treated at the southern border, but the thing is I and my family are much closer to this one, as in it would be unlikely for us to have to seek asylum that way. What COULD happen is we'd be driving close to a border that is mostly unmarked between two friendly countries with the rule of law (I guess not) and officials with some semblance of restraint (yeah right), and cross over into the other country accidentally. In this case three out of four of us would have been citizens, so no harm done, but what about my partner? What the %$# is going on here???
altabello likes this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
OMNI...there is more to this story
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 7:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Note:

Folks,

We are aware that there is a parallel thread in OMNI/PR.

We are going to let this thread remain here, as not everyone who has an interest in this news item has access to the OMNI forums (180 days on FlyerTalk and 180 contributive posts) and the OMNI thread cannot be merged into this one as the discussion there evolved into a political debate.

Thanks for the alerts and your understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
aztimm, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 7:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ion-detention/

As more facts have come to light (see above), this story seems quite different from the breathless hysterics initially reported...

- Surveillance video shows the family "slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch" between the 2 parallel roads straddling the border in order to reach the US side.

- Two of the family had previously applied for travel authorizations to the US but were denied. CBP didn't disclose why they were not approved.

- They had $16K in cash with them. Not illegal per se (but illegal to not declare >$10K) yet a bit odd for a family on vacation.

- US CBP initially did try to return the family to Canada, however Canada refused to grant them re-rentry. It hasn't been stated yet why the Canadians denied them.

As for the alleged conditions of the detention facility, maybe they are bad, maybe not. I'm not sure I would take this family's word for it, at any rate.
Old Oct 16, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: CBP
In the morning, immigration officers told the Connorses that they could be released if they provided contact information for any family member living in the United States who could sponsor them, the statement said. Luckily, a relative with U.S. citizenship agreed to help.

Among other things in this "article", this sounds incorrect. There's absolutely no reason a U.S. sponsor would be involved in a case like this with tourists.

“Emotionally and psychologically, they’re destroyed,”

lol ok

however Canada refused to grant them re-rentry. It hasn't been stated yet why the Canadians denied them.
(pssst) This is key. There's a reason.

Since CBP rarely ever puts out a statement, you're given articles like this that come from a reporter, who heard the attorney's version, who heard these people "story." No counter argument by CBP/.gov until it goes to a lawsuit, and rarely does it go the way the article would have you believe.
closecover, 84fiero, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why should Canada allow re-entry?
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
My interpretation from reading the stories is a couple of dimwit chavs decided they would circumvent the US immigration system and when caught still didn't grasp the consequences of their actions. They're now screaming about mistreatment to try and get public sympathy. I doubt CBP or ICE would have put out such a strong and detailed rebuttal if they weren't on solid ground.
closecover, 84fiero, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 2:25 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
My interpretation from reading the stories is a couple of dimwit chavs decided they would circumvent the US immigration system and when caught still didn't grasp the consequences of their actions. They're now screaming about mistreatment to try and get public sympathy. I doubt CBP or ICE would have put out such a strong and detailed rebuttal if they weren't on solid ground.
/thread
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. And with $16,000 in cash on them, a previous ESTA refusal, residing at NFA, United Kingdom, what do you expect?
84fiero and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Both British families have now been deported from the US. $16,000 for two families isn’t that much money, but that amount seems to speak to the families not lacking an ability to cover reasonable travel expenses for a few weeks for 4 adults and 3 children.

Some time back a French student visitor to Canada had an unauthorized crossing (or more) into the US while on a healthy run near the Canadian-US border and when she was caught by DHS for doing so they locked her for around two weeks before she was sent on her way and also is now set to need a US visa if she plans a visit to the US for the years to come. Personally, I am not a fan of seeing more American tax money being used up to lock up such people for days and days before being removed/deported — at least when it almost certainly means there won’t be any criminal charges being applied and pursued against them in the US or Canadian federal court systems.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 18, 19, 3:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Both British families have now been deported from the US. $16,000 for two families isn’t that much money, but that amount seems to speak to the families not lacking an ability to cover reasonable travel expenses for a few weeks for 4 adults and 3 children.

Some time back a French student visitor to Canada had an unauthorized crossing (or more) into the US while on a healthy run near the Canadian-US border and when she was caught by DHS for doing so they locked her for around two weeks before she was sent on her way and also is now set to need a US visa if she plans a visit to the US for the years to come. Personally, I am not a fan of seeing more American tax money being used up to lock up such people for days and days before being removed/deported — at least when it almost certainly means there won’t be any criminal charges being applied and pursued against them in the US or Canadian federal court systems.
Nothing you said is untrue, but the fact remains that the travelers apparently couldn't return to Canada (we don't know what story CBP told CBSA that might have triggered the denial-- CBP can influence CBSA). The travelers also apparently weren't welcome in the US per DHS policy/interpretation of US immigration law. So other than increase the speed at which with they were removed, what could DHS have done for these travelers within their existing policies?
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Nothing you said is untrue, but the fact remains that the travelers apparently couldn't return to Canada (we don't know what story CBP told CBSA that might have triggered the denial-- CBP can influence CBSA). The travelers also apparently weren't welcome in the US per DHS policy/interpretation of US immigration law. So other than increase the speed at which with they were removed, what could DHS have done for these travelers within their existing policies?
Why would/should Canada take them? They are neither citizens nor residents. They don't want to inherit CBP's problems.
Often1 and Badenoch like this.
Old Oct 18, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Dimwitted indeed.

From this description:

The CBP added: “A vehicle was observed via remote video surveillance system turning west onto Avenue 0 in British Columbia, Canada, at approximately 9pm, 2 October. The vehicle then turned south and entered the US illegally, by slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch onto Boundary Road in Blaine, Washington. The vehicle travelled west on Boundary Road continuing on the United States side, and was pulled over by a Border Patrol agent a short time later.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9159406.html

they appear to have crossed over somewhere along this stretch of road or thereabouts (click view larger map then go to street view):

Which makes their claim of "swerving to avoid an animal" even more laughable than it already was. Even if for some reason they had to "swerve" all the way across the eastbound lane, then across the ditch, and then onto Boundary Road (in the US)...an honest person would simply turn the wheel to the right and cross back over onto the Canadian side immediately after the incident. You wouldn't forget or become suddenly confused as to which road you had been on and keep going. Of course since CBP surveillance caught them in the act their story doesn't matter, but it wasn't a very convincing one in any case. I'm guessing that border patrol in that area has heard any number of ridiculous excuses for similar transgressions.
julleflyer and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread