Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

British family on vacation accidentally drove into the U.S.

British family on vacation accidentally drove into the U.S.

Old Oct 18, 19, 3:52 pm
  #16  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada, USA, Europe
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 31,453
Let's call a spade a spade. They were a couple of chav chancers who had previously been denied entry into the US. They tried to get into the US either for a laugh or to stay for a while. When they were caught they made up some complete BS (and easily discoverable as BS) story about what happened, and stupidly stuck to it in the face of overwhelming evidence against them. They deserved what they got.
84fiero, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 3:54 pm
  #17  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,269
It's an unfortunate feature of FT that some random "news" story is reported as fact and it later turns out that the "facts" are not as they were reported.

1. It appears that the only accidental thing here was getting caught.
2. Prior ESTA denial has to have been for a reason.
3. Whether $16K is a lot of cash is irrelevant. It is a felony not to report it to CBP on entering the US.

Doubtful that the US has any particular interest in detaining these people. But, simply pushing them back on Canada was not an option and I suspect that CBP quite properly wanted a deportation order not simply a voluntary departure. Arranging an order and then making arrangements with the UK is not as simple as one might think.

Not sure why anyone's blood is boiling about this.
Ari, 84fiero and nancypants like this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 19, 3:54 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 20,729
I've drive along that road (solely to avoid traffic on the main highway) a few times. I couldn't imagine crossing in a standard vehicle.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 3:40 am
  #19  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,389
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Why would/should Canada take them? They are neither citizens nor residents. They don't want to inherit CBP's problems.
Answer: Canada took them once why not again? The question isn't whether they "want to inherit CBP's problems"-- and this wasn't a problem for CBP as they just gave the family over to ICE-- the question is whether the family could be readmitted to Canada.

Speculation: DHS did a better job vetting them via ESTA and rejected them the first time and Canada didn't. With more information from DHS (the reason for the ESTA denial) plus the illegal crossing, Canada denied them reentry even though they allowed them initial entry.

Obviously, with nowhere to go, the formal removal process began for the family. I feel bad for the kid.
84fiero, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Ari is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 6:43 am
  #20  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,048
Didnít the US take away the cash from the two families before trying to make the situation Canadaís problem and/or bias the situation further against the family?

Was the ESTA denial of some members of the British families tied to travel to a country that disqualifies US VWP use?

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 19, 19 at 6:50 am
GUWonder is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 6:58 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 3,847
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Didnít the US take away the cash from the two families before trying to make the situation Canadaís problem and/or bias the situation further against the family?

Was the ESTA denial of some members of the British families tied to travel to a country that disqualifies US VWP use?
Apparently ESTA was denied due to no fixed abode in the UK. Which is interesting because I have NFA in Australia and can still get an ESTA...
nancypants is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 7:59 am
  #22  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,048
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Apparently ESTA was denied due to no fixed abode in the UK. Which is interesting because I have NFA in Australia and can still get an ESTA...
Foreign visitors with no fixed abode/address can still get US visas and be admissible to the US, but did you use a ship address, a residential property you use or something else for the ESTA?
GUWonder is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 8:07 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 3,847
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Foreign visitors with no fixed abode/address can still get US visas and be admissible to the US, but did you use a ship address, a residential property you use or something else for the ESTA?
Well i mean I live somewhere itís just it changes every 6 weeks; I canít actually remember but I suspect I used the address which was printed on my driving licence at the time

it did get me thinking that it must be bloody hard work to truly be NFA (and there are plenty of people now who are who are also not ďno-hopersĒ as my mother would say). Presumably most people can rustle up an address of some sort?
nancypants is offline  
Old Oct 19, 19, 5:18 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 36,938
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Well i mean I live somewhere itís just it changes every 6 weeks; I canít actually remember but I suspect I used the address which was printed on my driving licence at the time

it did get me thinking that it must be bloody hard work to truly be NFA (and there are plenty of people now who are who are also not ďno-hopersĒ as my mother would say). Presumably most people can rustle up an address of some sort?
Back as a child there was 7 1/2 months were I had no address, the closest being an uncle that would receive mail. We were traveling, we moved out of our apartment and put our stuff in storage. My father's driver's license would not have matched my uncle's address. This was long before ESTAs and the like, though.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 1:02 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: HNL,HI,USA
Posts: 238
Video link of the crossing embedded in this article: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/speeche...ring-us-lynden
84fiero likes this.
hi-guy is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 2:04 am
  #26  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,389
Originally Posted by hi-guy View Post
Video link of the crossing embedded in this article: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/speeche...ring-us-lynden
Linked, not embedded.

Video clear as mud.

(In fairness, CBP probably monitors these feeds all the time and knows what to look for.)
Ari is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 5:50 am
  #27  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,048
Originally Posted by hi-guy View Post
Video link of the crossing embedded in this article: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/speeche...ring-us-lynden
The video linked in there seems to show an animal crossing the border and the car doing so too, via the ditch, right after the animal cut it off in a way or otherwise crossed its path/the area. Maybe the driver of the ditch-diving vehicle (and/or lead vehicle) was looking to see the animal more or trying to get around it.

The video is clear enough to be subject to interpretation. There certainly isnít enough in the video to rule out the claim from these British families that they did what they did because of an animal in the way.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 8:14 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,665
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
The video linked in there seems to show an animal crossing the border and the car doing so too, via the ditch, right after the animal cut it off in a way or otherwise crossed its path/the area. Maybe the driver of the ditch-diving vehicle (and/or lead vehicle) was looking to see the animal more or trying to get around it.

The video is clear enough to be subject to interpretation. There certainly isn’t enough in the video to rule out the claim from these British families that they did what they did because of an animal in the way.
You can plainly see that they arrive from a perpendicular road onto the Canadian road running parallel to the border. They only sort of drive straight-ish for maybe a second - probably just enough to aim for a good space between the utility poles. Instead they almost immediately go slowly across the ditch, straighten out westbound on the US parallel road and begin driving straight ahead on the US side.

I don't see any sign of an animal obstructing them. There is apparently a small animal (cat, possum, raccoon) moving north-to-south along the bottom of the video. But there is a distance of about 6 utility poles between the car and that animal, plenty of time to simply stop and wait...but even that wouldn't have been needed as it had already moved into the eastbound lane by the time their car turned westbound onto that road from the perpendicular side street...moreover, the animal was traveling southbound, which is the direction their car headed in order to cross the border. You don't avoid an animal by driving towards the direction the animal is headed.
84fiero is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 1:51 pm
  #29  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 99,048
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
You don't avoid an animal by driving towards the direction the animal is headed.
Sometimes the best way to avoid hitting an animal ó no less so if the animal is known to run in pairs or groups ó with a vehicle may be for a driver to drive the vehicle parallel to the way the animal runs. Iím not sure that avoiding a collision with the animal is what the driver of the vehicle was trying to do or that was why the driver did what the driver did there, but Iím also not sure why everyone (or most everyone) in the border-crossing vehicle should be punished the same as the driver of the vehicle. Communal punishment? Not a fan of that.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Oct 21, 19, 3:21 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dulles, VA
Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Posts: 2,733
There's no chance someone would turn 90 degrees and run over a ditch at low speed to avoid an animal that's quite a bit away in front.
84fiero and nancypants like this.
catocony is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread