Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

U.S. Customs Officer Harasses Defense One Journalist at Dulles Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2.../?oref=d-river

CBP officer: “You’re a journalist?”

Watson: “Yes.”

CBP officer: “You write propaganda, right?”

Watson waited five seconds. Then: “For the purposes of expediting this conversation, yes.”
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This isn’t the first I’ve heard of such thing going on at US ports of entry.
CBP has some employees harassing way more journalists than just that one, and they even ask some of them if they are “fake news” creators or engaged in being propaganda agents. It seems they have been hitting up in this way a number of foreign journalist working in the US and doing so way more than they have been hitting up US citizens who are journalists, but both are getting it at times.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Well, after you read my report on this little incident of petty political harassment you can tell me if it's fake news. And how do you spell your name again, Officer? Wouldn't want to get any details wrong."
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rickg523
"Well, after you read my report on this little incident of petty political harassment you can tell me if it's fake news. And how do you spell your name again, Officer? Wouldn't want to get any details wrong."
"It's written exactly like it is on my name tag, which you've looked at 4 times already"
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ls17031
"It's written exactly like it is on my name tag, which you've looked at 4 times already"
"Really? You guys don't swap them out across shifts to avoid accountability? Couldn't have been me, boss, I wasn't even working then."
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
"Really? You guys don't swap them out across shifts to avoid accountability? Couldn't have been me, boss, I wasn't even working then."
Or little tricks like having it upside down or backwards, a favorite of TSA.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there is any justice this CBP employee will be identified . I think firing is in order but that's not how things work for federal employees. A few days on the street and an official reprimand is probably the worst that will happen. Hopefully this employee has a history and stronger action can be taken. If he stays employed a transfer to the most remote, southern checkpoint would be appropriate. Even better make him a TSA screener, non-LEO.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If there is any justice this CBP employee will be identified . I think firing is in order but that's not how things work for federal employees. A few days on the street and an official reprimand is probably the worst that will happen. Hopefully this employee has a history and stronger action can be taken. If he stays employed a transfer to the most remote, southern checkpoint would be appropriate. Even better make him a TSA screener, non-LEO.
If nothing else it shows a serious error in their threat evaluation--which amounts to incompetence in my book. Since they aren't fit to do their job, take their badge.
AceReport and Spiff like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:54 am
Suspended

Going after journalists is sadly nothing new, but it’s become way more frequent at US ports of entry than it used to be for the better part of my life.

The following article is about a journalist whose electronic devices were subject to search at a US port of entry and includes a link to another article about the hassles faced by journalists of sort entering the US at ports of entry:

https://theintercept.com/2019/06/22/...s-journalists/
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If nothing else it shows a serious error in their threat evaluation--which amounts to incompetence in my book. Since they aren't fit to do their job, take their badge.
Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of CBP at points of entry. For U.S. citizens, who cannot be denied entry, it should be a simple matter of verifying documents and identity, verification of importation of goods, and collection of duty fees if needed. Questions about where you went and such seem unneeded. So what is the point of confrontational CBP officers?
GUWonder and Spiff like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Journalists are such drama queens, take themselves far too seriously and have a grossly over-inflated view of their importance to democracy . A CBP officer was rude to one and they can't help but make a federal case about.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Journalists are such drama queens, take themselves far too seriously and have a grossly over-inflated view of their importance to democracy . A CBP officer was rude to one and they can't help but make a federal case about.
It’s more than just one CBP officer being rude to one journalist. There is a culture within CBP, and a regime of government, that has long facilitated and enabled CBP employees to continue to do that which gets the CBP too little of the criticism and attention it deserves.

Journalists are apparently part of the target practice of some CBP employees, and any attention that journalists draw upon what goes on to journalists or others at the US ports of entry is too little and too late as far as I am concerned.
petaluma1, Spiff and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s more than just one CBP officer being rude to one journalist. There is a culture within CBP, and a regime of government, that has long facilitated and enabled CBP employees to continue to do that which gets the CBP too little of the criticism and attention it deserves.

Journalists are apparently part of the target practice of some CBP employees, and any attention that journalists draw upon what goes on to journalists or others at the US ports of entry is too little and too late as far as I am concerned.
If this journalist was so offended why did he not stand his ground and refuse to say the phrase instead of getting on his high horse after the fact? He's an American citizen and they would have to let him in eventually. It would have made a much better story too.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Is this some kind of joke?
petaluma1, Mendobrew and Spiff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.