Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Screening Passengers in Jetway on Domestic Flight

CBP Screening Passengers in Jetway on Domestic Flight

Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by garykung
No.

CBP has 2 responsibilities - immigration and customs. So even CBP is not checking immigration status, CBP can still exercise its customs responsibility when it is appropriate. In fact, there are permanent domestic checkpoints within the U.S. serving that purpose, which are all within the U.S. territories due to the fact that these territories have its own customs zone.
But what is their customs responsibility on a domestic flight, particularly in regard to something like financial instruments? To my knowledge, if I'm foolish enough to carry 20k in large bills in my pocket, I'm perfectly within my right to do so, unless I cross a border.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
Pretty sure is not good enough. Be very careful when recording public servants (or anyone for that matter) because what is permitted and not permitted depends upon the jurisdiction. While it is legal to take video of public employees performing their jobs in public it is frequently NOT legal to record the audio of those same employees' conversations. In addition, while some jurisdictions allow one-party consent others require two-party consent to record audio. In practice, it is VERY difficult to take video with a phone without also capturing audio. This has led to persons being being arrested and the recording device impounded for videotaping a law enforcement officer doing something illegal.
i think that LEO in a public place = you can record both video and audio in any state in the USA

don't confuse wire tapping / surveillance cameras / secret recordings with a public place, LEO, and holding a camera in your hand

now whether an airport is considered a public place, i am not sure but regardless, pretty sure you can record the police

correct me if i am wrong though, i won't take offense

also might be a good time to check your device to make sure that its automatically uploading a copy of the video in case your device magically disappears, gets destroyed, impounded, etc

if you can please post some recent cases of a private person arrested for recording a LEO and charges upheld, please do share

Last edited by mysterym; Oct 4, 2019 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zoned_post_meridiem
But what is their customs responsibility on a domestic flight, particularly in regard to something like financial instruments? To my knowledge, if I'm foolish enough to carry 20k in large bills in my pocket, I'm perfectly within my right to do so, unless I cross a border.
You can carry around as much cash as you want, however, government seems to believe doing so is evidence of a crime ,and civil forfeiture claims are not unheard of. Once they have your money getting it back can be a long and costly process if you ever succeed in getting it back at all.. If entering or leaving the country all you need do is claim amounts greater than $10,000 cash or cash instruments.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Arrival FIS halls have restrictions using cameras and phones. The question is whether any restrictions go with the CBP officers outside the arrival hall.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
The response to those kinds of questions will be me reciting the 5th Amendment and asking if I am being detained. Our Constitution is VERY CLEAR on these types of attempted infringements. The government is already a leviathan and does not need to entrench its tenticles into the private affairs of the People of the United States any further.

Originally Posted by Section 107
Pretty sure is not good enough. Be very careful when recording public servants (or anyone for that matter) because what is permitted and not permitted depends upon the jurisdiction. While it is legal to take video of public employees performing their jobs in public it is frequently NOT legal to record the audio of those same employees' conversations. In addition, while some jurisdictions allow one-party consent others require two-party consent to record audio. In practice, it is VERY difficult to take video with a phone without also capturing audio. This has led to persons being being arrested and the recording device impounded for videotaping a law enforcement officer doing something illegal.
At least in Michigan, we are allowed to record police.

Honestly, these types on infringements are reprehensible. If they continue, I may have to vote for policies to reduce the government "to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub".
Spiff and YadiMolina like this.

Last edited by OUTraveling; Oct 4, 2019 at 1:08 pm Reason: AutoCorrect has a dirty mind.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Please dont quote this junk map. It may be theoretical, but in practice CBP does not have secondary checkpoints based on the coasts. Only the northern and southern border zones. There are no checkpoints going from L.A. to Las Vegas, nor questioning at SEA, SFO or LAX going inland.
Maybe they don't have permanent checkpoints, like on I-5 in California, but Boarder Patrol has questioned people in Florida and other coastal areas not near the MX or CA borders.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by zoned_post_meridiem
There no requirement to report negotiable instruments or cash of $10000 or more when flying domestically.
I didn't even notice the requirement for international arrivals didn't included checks until I was bring back a $25,000 check from Norwegian Breakaway into Port of Miami, after a good week of BlackJack
I voluntarily reported it on the Customs forms, and had to go to secondary screening to have them enter it via computer.
The very next cruise into POM, I was asked about having $10K or more, and I was again directed to secondary screening, even though I had said I did not have $10K or more.
So, apparently the moral of that story is I should not have reported the first time, because I doubt they have a dog there that sniffs out single checks.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm very certain many LEO's would claim taping them doing something illegal is an illegal act. Many times that claim is made while the person recording is on a sidewalk. Sadly, in today's world LEO's are not always seen as having integrity or being above reproach as was more common years ago. Sad state of things but true. Should I be approached on a domestic only flight, on the jetway by an LEO, I would not answer their questions but start asking questions. Starting with "am I being detained"?

Know if you are in a one party or two party consent state before recording audio.. Also, I think a case could be made that once on the jetway a person is no longer in a public area but on private property . Tread carefully
Why would it matter if it was private property? It's not the property of CBP
altabello likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 4, 2019 at 6:19 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:20 pm

Had same experience a day later

Just wanted to hop in here to mention I happened to fly out of dtw to LAX September 24 and encountered a similar situation
But we had two DEA agents (with badges out) in plain clothes in the jetway casually asking passengers if they had any illicit substances
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TravellingPenguin
Just wanted to hop in here to mention I happened to fly out of dtw to LAX September 24 and encountered a similar situation
But we had two DEA agents (with badges out) in plain clothes in the jetway casually asking passengers if they had any illicit substances
DEA is way different from CBP. At the minimum, DEA has enforcement authority in the entire U.S.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Believe me, I would be quite resentful at such an intrusion as the one described by the OP. But rather than prolonging the episode and missing my flight, I would attempt to do anything to shorten the event and get onto the plane. Usually that is answering the questions truthfully and rapidly. And respectfully.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did anyone say yes? @:-)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some domestic flights have received a reception from CBP too, which means passengers may be subjected to the questions during or after deplaning.
That's awesome!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Warning!

Folks,

For the third and final time, this thread is about screening on jet bridges by CBP officers of passengers departing on DOMESTIC flights.

This is not about CBP officers at ports of entry. If you wish to rant about poor treatment or racial profiling by CBP officers at ports of entry, please start a new thread on that topic.

Additional messages have been deleted.

The next member to go off-topic is this thread will have their posting privileges suspended for a minimum of one week without further notice. This also goes for members replying to off-topic posts.

Please consider this message to be your only warning!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Originally Posted by TWA884
Folks,

This thread is about screening passengers departing on DOMESTIC, not international, flights.

As I have written a few hours earlier, future off-topic posts will be summarily deleted without further warning.

I have just had to delete a post complaining of harassment by CBP officers on the jet bridge while boarding a flight to Seoul.

Please stay on topic or risk being disciplined as prescribed in FlyerTalk Rule 23.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 9, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

That's interesting they had a different federal agency. Just out of curiosity was it the 12:10 pm non-stop flight? I have flown DTW>LAX probably 4 times this year (with 2 times on that noon flight) and only observed this on that flight. I have the same one next month so will see if something similar transpires.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by garykung
DEA is way different from CBP. At the minimum, DEA has enforcement authority in the entire U.S.
With either, they can ask all the questions they want. And with either one can tell them to piss off.
Spiff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.