Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Police Chief investigated for fraud appointed to TSA's Advisory Committee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak Police Chief investigated for fraud appointed to TSA's Advisory Committee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Some TSA news:
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recently named Thomas Farmer chairperson of its Surface Transportation Security Advisory Committee and Polly Hanson, vice chairperson.....Hanson is director of security, risk and emergency management at the American Public Transportation Association (APTA).
Link to full article: Progressive Railroading - TSA appoints Farmer, Hanson to lead security advisory committee (September 16, 2019)

And here is an August 2016 article about Hanson:
Amtrak’s inspector general has launched a fraud and conflict of interest investigation involving the rail system’s top law enforcement officer, her “alleged boyfriend” and a counterterrorism contract she helped oversee, according to federal court documents.

Amtrak Police Chief Polly Hanson, who oversees 500 sworn officers and other personnel across the country, was deeply involved in preparing a contract that was awarded to ABS Consulting in May 2014, according to a statement from the inspector general filed in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

Hanson — who also has served as chief of Metro Transit Police and executive director of the Strategic Services Bureau of the D.C. police force — failed to disclose the nature of her relationship with Kerry Thomas, senior director for Homeland Security Support Programs for ABS, the documents allege.

A statement from a senior special agent with the inspector general’s office said an investigation was initiated in December 2015, based on allegations about Hanson and Thomas’s relationship. The allegations included that Hanson and Thomas have been romantically involved for a “substantial period of time, that they cohabitate in Arlington, Va., and own a residence together in Delaware, and that, consequently, their actions regarding the procurement of the contract . . . were unethical and illegal.”
Link to full article: Washington Post: Amtrak Police Chief Polly Hanson under investigation for fraud, conflict of interest (August 17, 2016)
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good fit with TSA.
Spiff and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I presume TSA expects her to help bring Nude-o-Scopes to trains.
Yoshi212 and moondog like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: TSA
I didn't see where any charges have been filed in the probe or investigation, on Hanson or anyone else. Someone have that link?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
"Well, we're supposed to catch bad guys, and she used to be a bad guy, so she ought to be really good at finding them..."
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Someone have that link?
Investigative Summaries on Amtrak Office of Inspector General (OIG) website

Scroll thru those and you'll see that most Amtrak employees who are caught defrauding the company are just allowed to resign or are terminated. They are rarely criminally prosecuted.
Spiff and gsoltso like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain

Scroll thru those and you'll see that most Amtrak employees who are caught defrauding the company are just allowed to resign or are terminated. They are rarely criminally prosecuted.
Wouldn't it be nice to see TSA with a website like Amtrak's listing the same information.

Would be interesting to know what the Police Chief Fraud Investigation uncovered. If there was something there and allowed to leave, or nothing at all, would be nice to know.
Spiff, 84fiero and moondog like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow!! I'll be surprised. TSA should never be allowed work for Amtrak. They don't have contract from TSA. Something is not right. Only work at airports, not work for Amtrak or Mass Transit.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow!! I'll be surprised. TSA should never be allowed work for Amtrak. They don't have contract from TSA. Something is not right. Only work at airports, not work for Amtrak or Mass Transit.
TSA can screen passengers of any mass transit system. But that's not the issue in this case. The former Amtrak Police Chief was investigated for fraud. No information on the outcome of that investigation. May have been no there, there or just allowed to resign. Apparently no criminal charges filed.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain

Roger, I did not see one on Hanson, am I just missing it? A quick search did not show one either. Not being purposely obtuse, I am just operating within the same guidelines I always do Innocent until proven Guilty. I have seen nothing that indicates that Hanson was charged, or even placed in a situation where she was offered resign/retire or be fired over corruption.

***Side note - many Federal organizations allow employees to resign/retire in order to resolve a situation that impacts the organization - some of these are based upon an employee that can no longer perform the basic job requirements, some are based upon failure to certify or qualify on existing/new equipment, some are based upon disciplinary issues that are not egregious such as attendance or an unwillingness to increase the amount of travel they are willing to give for a job. In some cases, it is because there is some pretty egregious behavior, but not enough proof to terminate. There are a whole slew of reasons that they allow this, sometimes it is just because the employee is not a good fit for the positon, and rather than taint that individual for other possible opportunities, they simply have them resign so they can find a better fit. Not saying that the process is right or wrong, merely that it is a common practice in many Federal organizations.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
"Well, we're supposed to catch bad guys, and she used to be a bad guy, so she ought to be really good at finding them..."
Completely unrelated, but some of the best MPs and CID Undercover folks I met during my time in the Army, had a troubled past, and utilized skill sets from those days to make them better investigators/MPs...

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 6, 2019 at 11:50 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.