Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Immigration Officers Questioning All Global Entry Users at SFO Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration Officers Questioning All Global Entry Users at SFO Today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:56 pm

Can or will the CBP agent on power trip threaten you as a US citizen with US passport revoke your GE or send to secondary questioning screening just cos you feel sick of being asks question like where did you go? why? how long did you stay there? what do you do ? and you respond sir, do you ask these to all American citizens or you say sir, I don't have to answer these cos I am an American and I am just returning home?

What would you do if you are asked Where did you go? Why? How long did you stay? What do you do? etc?

Thank you.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
No one questions their right to question. But, the UK Border Force, The French Border Police, etc., all have that same right, but don't find it necessary to ask question of their returning citizens. A Brit returning home (or an American visiting) just place their passports in the automatic border gates, smile for the camera - the gate then opens and they are done.

The question is why does CBP feel the need to question returning citizens when these other countries do not.
That is incorrect. EU border forces do NOT have the same rights that the CBP. The Schengen Border Code is very clear in Article 8:

REGULATION (EU) 2016/399 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 9 March 2016 on a Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code)
Article 8 Border checks on persons
All persons shall undergo a minimum check in order to establish their identities on the basis of the production or presentation of their travel documents. Such a minimum check shall consist of a rapid and straightforward verification, where appropriate by using technical devices and by consulting, in the relevant databases, information exclusively on stolen, misappropriated, lost and invalidated documents, of the validity of the document authorising the legitimate holder to cross the border and of the presence of signs of falsification or counterfeiting. The minimum check referred to in the first subparagraph shall be the rule for persons enjoying the right of free movement under Union law. However, on a non-systematic basis, when carrying out minimum checks on persons enjoying the right of free movement under Union law, border guards may consult national and European databases in order to ensure that such persons do not represent a genuine, present and sufficiently serious threat to the internal security, public policy, international relations of the Member States or a threat to the public health.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The net is that entering the US is a painful process, GE just makes it a whole lot less painful. Since the UK egates opened to US passport holders, all the US side of our company (and it is a significant amount) that have come to the UK bemoan the fact they can enter the UK quicker and easier than when they return to the US where they almost feel like a criminal in comparison. Biometrics is so advanced these days that there is no need for the theatre that is CBP.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What part of a search does an interrogation fall in to?
You are right. It does not. You do have the right to remain silence.

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
Can or will the CBP agent on power trip threaten you as a US citizen with US passport revoke your GE or send to secondary questioning screening just cos you feel sick of being asks question like where did you go? why? how long did you stay there? what do you do ? and you respond sir, do you ask these to all American citizens or you say sir, I don't have to answer these cos I am an American and I am just returning home?

What would you do if you are asked Where did you go? Why? How long did you stay? What do you do? etc?

Thank you.
Yes. At least there was one in the past.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The net is that entering the US is a painful process, GE just makes it a whole lot less painful. Since the UK egates opened to US passport holders, all the US side of our company (and it is a significant amount) that have come to the UK bemoan the fact they can enter the UK quicker and easier than when they return to the US where they almost feel like a criminal in comparison. Biometrics is so advanced these days that there is no need for the theatre that is CBP.
CBP uses the questions for customs control purposes as well as immigration control purposes. And biometric verification of identity doesn’t do all that much for CBP’s customs control purposes, even with regards to US citizens, unless the identified individual is a flagged individual in the relevant systems. Also, a US citizen who doesn’t reside in the US formally may have a different customs allowance than US citizens who reside in the US or even particular parts of the US, and so asking questions related to that can be relevant (even as in practice it’s uncommon for CBP to make an issue of this for US citizens).

I don’t get verbally asked much of anything most times when entering the US or UK using staffed counters. But the most questions I’ve ever had when entering a country have been for some of my returns to the US as a US citizen after having used GE, but that wasn’t at SFO; they have been east of the Mississippi. What SFO seems to be doing now (at least at times) for GE users too doesn’t seem more intrusive than that.

Dealing with CBP a lot, with or without GE, is good prep for learning how to deal with questions from CBP’s foreign equivalents in the rare(e) chance that I have been questioned more than usual at some non-US ports of entry or exit.
chollie likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG Gold
15 minute delay is annoying, but hardly that much of delay in the scheme of things
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
If I was a US citizen, I'd go no comment to any CBP questions. What can they do, refuse me entry
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by garykung
You are right. It does not. You do have the right to remain silence.

Yes. At least there was one in the past.
Will the CBP revoke your GE if you say sir, I am an American just like anyone else and I don't have to answer personal questions or what I do?

Guaranteed secondary questioning to another room if I refuse to their questions like Where did you go? Why did you go? What do you do, what's your job? etc?

I have no hard feelings for questions like what food or cash you bring or sent to custom bag check for saying I have an apple or a baby food.

But sick of personal questions that makes me feel like a second class citizen.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
Will the CBP revoke your GE if you say sir, I am an American just like anyone else and I don't have to answer personal questions or what I do?
GE is a discretionary program. So yes - refusing to cooperate can be a ground for revocation.

As I have said - there is at least 1 person who get his GE revoked. And this happened in SFO.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: CBP
Refusing to cooperate *has* been a reason to revoke someone's GE status at least a half dozen times that I've seen.

We get the rare USC that doesn't want to answer, that's fine, we have procedures for that. But the 1 or 2 GE members who pull that...those were special memories. I remember a new Officer working the GE line, stopping everyone for basic FLETC questions. He was holding up the line a bit and probably being an annoyance to the regular members who come through often. One passenger went under the rope we had, and when confronted, refused to answer anything more than his name to the other officer who stopped him. Another was middle age woman who "knew her rights." Countless times we've heard "But I have GE, I thought I didn't get asked questions, that's why I have it." BE that way in the regular line, but coming through a privileged trusted traveler line, cmon….

Had another guy throw a fit in the waiting room of an enrollment center, then get confused as to why he was denied. We took another applicant's statement and had no problem denying him when he refused to confirm information in his application.

I'm sure it's annoying for the regular travelers, or FT members here who know the rules, but if an Officer goes rogue or is under orders to break the status quo, taking that time to argue is a very good way to lose GE status.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
CBP uses the questions for customs control purposes as well as immigration control purposes.
That may be true - but, most other countries do not see the need to question every traveler for customs purposes. Certainly no European country that I have been to does anything other than random checks, and I don't think I've ever been asked a question by a customs officer when arriving at any European airport (which I've probably done one somewhere between 50-100 times.)
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That may be true - but, most other countries do not see the need to question every traveler for customs purposes.
No offense - most other countries are not the U.S.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
That may be true - but, most other countries do not see the need to question every traveler for customs purposes. Certainly no European country that I have been to does anything other than random checks, and I don't think I've ever been asked a question by a customs officer when arriving at any European airport (which I've probably done one somewhere between 50-100 times.)
There are plenty of countries, outside of Europe, with regular or frequent questioning of non-citizens/LPRs (e.g., try New Zealand some time if you really want a thorough experience....even Canada can be fairly 'inquisitive'.) Whether or not "most" of the ~190+ countries are like this, I don't know.

As to treatment of citizens and LPRs, I don't know what's common elsewhere. I think the US goes overboard with returning citizens. Some of the time and resources spent regularly questioning US citizens (not referring to random inspections) could probably be better spent on other efforts within CBP's mission.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
There are plenty of countries, outside of Europe, with regular or frequent questioning of non-citizens/LPRs (e.g., try New Zealand some time if you really want a thorough experience....even Canada can be fairly 'inquisitive'.) Whether or not "most" of the ~190+ countries are like this, I don't know.

As to treatment of citizens and LPRs, I don't know what's common elsewhere. I think the US goes overboard with returning citizens. Some of the time and resources spent regularly questioning US citizens (not referring to random inspections) could probably be better spent on other efforts within CBP's mission.
For returning citizens of democratic countries showing their passports to clear the passport control/immigration check in their country/area of citizenship, most such countries' authorities ask far fewer questions of their returning citizens than the US does (if they even tend to ask any). The major exception would be the immigration authorities of the Five Eyes, other than the UK (for now at least). As a GE user at US ports of entry, I expect to face more questions from CBP than I get when entering the UK via kiosks. And at US ports of entry, I expect it to get worse with the move toward shifting more resources for questioning in/after the baggage claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.