Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ABC News: Nearly 18 years after 9/11, the federal air marshals program is in 'crisis'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABC News: Nearly 18 years after 9/11, the federal air marshals program is in 'crisis'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info

The public should demand the UNREDACTED copy of the September 28, 2011 Radio Technical Commission on Aeronautics study report (No. RTCA DO-329) on how effective the Federal Air Marshal program is at stopping another 9/11 attack as the 9/11 Commission report described on its page 158:

These current and former marshals contend that their supervisors at the agency are at best neglectful and at worst abusive -- silencing whistleblowers and punishing complaints with grueling schedules that disregard the physiological limitations of the human body and endanger the flying public.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/18-years-9...ry?id=65125617

Part 2: "'Tension, mistrust': The allegedly toxic relationship between federal air marshals and their supervisors"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/tension-mi...ry?id=65125618
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The simple solution is to disband the FAM service. 1,500 to 2,500 FAM's riding around in airplanes without a terrorist incident in 18 years suggest the need for these people is over estimated.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA
There are 700 million air passengers in the US every year. For 18 years that means about 12 billion. TWELVE BILLION passengers. And the FAMs have intercepted how many terrorists?

(I know this simplistic calculation isn't totally correct in the risk / deterrence business, but the magnitude is useful.)
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Your Government in action creating jobs,

Most passengers are screened, but cargo who looks,
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to beat a dead horse but how much protection do FAM's really provide? I'll offer up front that there is a detergent effect to some degree. That's about as far as it goes. Best numbers I have found suggest around 87,000 flights crossing the U.S. daily. Not sure if that includes GA and cargo only flights but would think so. So throwing some windage in the mix let's say that only 30,000 U.S. carrier passenger flights originate each day. Let us also assume that their are 3,000 FAM's available each and every day and only 1 FAM per airplane, which we know isn't the case. Well, anyone can see that the odds of a FAM being on the right airplane on the right day is not likely. Factor in that FAM's do not operate alone, have sick days, vacation, VIPR assignments and so forth and the odds that a FAM will be where they are needed on that one day is remote.

Remember there were only 4 airplanes successfully hijacked on 9/11, out of all the thousands of possible flights.

I think a better result would be achieved with mandatory FDDO's on all flights.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

Remember there were only 4 airplanes successfully hijacked on 9/11, out of all the thousands of possible flights.

I think a better result would be achieved with mandatory FDDO's on all flights.
Yes! That's exactly right! Only 4 aircraft who hijacked by terrorists. 2 aircraft who crashed into WTC, 1 aircraft went into Pentagon, and FLT#93 went into the field in Pennsylvania.

That's why there is no FAM before 9/11 attacks. So now, they already deployed Air Marshals on the commercial airplanes, they reinforcement the cockpit doors, and security is very tight. You can not go into cockpit during the flight.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by N830MH
That's why there is no FAM before 9/11 attacks.
That's in correct.

There were 50 authorized positions with 33 flying on 9/11.

They belonged to the FAA (where they need to go back to and TSA completely dis-banded) but that's for another thread.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think passengers and staff have terminated more of the very few in-air hijack or breaching attempts than FAMs. Some say their presence is a deterrent, but that's simply unprovable.
It's just another overpriced piece of Security Theater. The real problem isn't the expense though. It's the creation of yet another cadre of weaponized Federal employees who feel entitled by having been cast in the role of "last line of defense" in the Patriot Act.
petaluma1, Spiff and YadiMolina like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.