Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA tests new screening technology at McCarran International Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA tests new screening technology at McCarran International Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
We should at least acknowledge the tiny, incremental improvement brought by this new WBI device - no need to hold one's hands above one's head to assume The Position inside the machine. It's also not as claustrophobic as the old tube-style machine, and in the demo shown in the OP article, the demonstrator still had shoes on. Couldn't tell if he had a belt on, though.
I've heard you can leave your hat on.

Originally Posted by Section 107
better ability to see body jewelry, even through thicker than typical undergarments.
I suspect the news article was just poorly written. The agents really shouldn't literally be seeing what you hint at here--that practice
was replaced by the use of avatars, thank goodness.

But the machine may have better ability to detect AND account for items under clothing.
If it merely has better detection without the ability to filter out expected non threats (sanitary items), I fail to see how passengers benefit from this one bit.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 9, 2019 at 5:26 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: QR Plat (OWE), FB Silver (ST Elite), UA/*A Silver, HH GL, Bonvoy GL, Radisson GL, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is this still MMW or has Backscatter been reintroduced?
According to an article it's still MMW just more open and you don't have to assume the hands up and guilty pose.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Kris_Chari
According to an article it's still MMW just more open and you don't have to assume the hands up and guilty pose.
As of not too long ago, TSA was still trying to find a way to bring back backscatter but with the gumby technology. However, I've not recently read anything about this so maybe it's been given up as a lost cause.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No, no longer used backscatter at US Airports. So now, this is brand new eAIT body scanner. You don't have put your hands over the head anymore.

I think a modified Murphy's Law can be used in cases like this; If an item can be misused TSA will find out how to do it!
Yes, they will figured it out soon. They have learn how to used a new security technology.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We should at least acknowledge the tiny, incremental improvement brought by this new WBI device - no need to hold one's hands above one's head to assume The Position inside the machine. It's also not as claustrophobic as the old tube-style machine, and in the demo shown in the OP article, the demonstrator still had shoes on. Couldn't tell if he had a belt on, though.
Yeah, it’s such a “innovation.” These kind of scanners have been in Europe for almost 2 years.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: QR Plat (OWE), FB Silver (ST Elite), UA/*A Silver, HH GL, Bonvoy GL, Radisson GL, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Yeah, it’s such a “innovation.” These kind of scanners have been in Europe for almost 2 years.
Yeah and they're in use in India too (at least international security at BLR).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Kris_Chari
Yeah and they're in use in India too (at least international security at BLR).
Can either of you confirm that they are MMW and not BSX tech?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually, it's called eAIT body scanner, not BSX or MMW. Because they has been change. This is brand new Advanced Imaging Technology (eAIT) millimeter body scanner.

I can't find a information on the entire website. You see how they change. New security technology.

Please read the entire website. Here's a link:

https://www.gatechecked.com/innovati...las-vegas-1759

You will understand how they used a new security technology.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At Stuttgart, it is a MMW device.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At Stuttgart, it is a MMW device.
Yes, here in PHX & LHR, as well. No MMW at BSL airport. Only WTMD. You can keep your shoes on. No need take off the shoes.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 10:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
New TSA (pre-check) procedure at LAS

Today (12/24) I departed LAS, I'm in CLEAR, but didn't use it since I was the only pax at that moment, they have a card reader for cc sized items, I was asked to first scan id, I used my Global Entry card, when I was about to scan my bp (on my cellphone) the agent said I'm OK without scanning it. A pax who arrived just after me was asked to scan his bp first (and perhaps id(?) next). Maybe they are (experimenting) with an alternating system: id only pax 1, bp only pax 2 etc.)?
PS: with CLEAR (since your id was scanned when you enrolled) you only show TSA your bp. With GE I'm automatically in Pre-Check--but that's no guarantee that I have a bp.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 1:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hi nrr,

I merged your post into an existing thread discussing the new screening technologies that are being implemented at LAS.

The new self service ID scanners have been rolled out at several airports since the COVID pandemic hit, there is a thread discussing it, but I can't locate it right now, here is a link to an article about their introduction at LAS:And a link to an older thread discussing the implementation of ID scanners that do not require showing a boarding pass at TSA security checkpoints:TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Edited to add:

The new self-service ID scanners have been discussed in the Airport security in a post-COVID-19 world thread.

Here is an NBC News video demonstrating the use of the new self-service ID scanners:

N830MH likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 25, 2020 at 9:44 am Reason: Additional information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.