Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA officers bar Florida teen with autism from flying; airport director apologizes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA officers bar Florida teen with autism from flying; airport director apologizes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
"Nice" isn't the point of security screening or passenger safety. It's not "nice" being punched by an autistic kid at 30,000 feet, either, regardless of how sad it is that the kid has autism.
Real security is NOT what the TSA is about! Seriously. Their mandate was to "reassure the flying public," and spend lots of money. It never was actual protection. It's pure security theater.

You won't find non-LEO security personnel in any other branch of government dress like LEOs with tin stars and attitudes like this. I've interacted with security personnel at various levels of government and NOT ONCE have I ever come across one barking orders and acting like a mall rent-a-cop EXCEPT at the TSA. I also never have had a security staffer try to steal my food because they were hungry, EXCEPT the TSA. Fortunately another screener saw this and immediately stepped in, even bring a supervisor over and having me fill out a formal complaint on the spot.

I just wish we'd all acknowledge the TSA is completely ineffective (only good 5% of the time per TSA's own tests) and needs to be replaced with something completely different. For reference, the pre-9/11 security cost us $820M/year. They're now at $7.8 BILLION. For what? I'd at least like some professionalism and respect for that type of money.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If TSA really cared all screeners would be taught how to deal with persons of any need, and held accountable when unable to do so.
Yeah... only about 10% of the police agencies in the US require a college education (AA to Bachelors). With TSA agents, their is no post secondary educational requirement and the training they receive is only about 100 hours. I do not think their will be any requirement for a post-secondary coursework in how to handle persons with autism spectrum disorders and the like.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Yeah... only about 10% of the police agencies in the US require a college education (AA to Bachelors). With TSA agents, their is no post secondary educational requirement and the training they receive is only about 100 hours. I do not think their will be any requirement for a post-secondary coursework in how to handle persons with autism spectrum disorders and the like.
It doesn't take a university degree to know how to treat people well. TSA fails in many things but how passengers are treated is far too often with less than respect. That suggests a failure of TSA management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.