Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA officers bar Florida teen with autism from flying; airport director apologizes

TSA officers bar Florida teen with autism from flying; airport director apologizes

Old Aug 23, 19, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Based on what I read on these forums, it seems they don't let parents get involved in screening... or do they?
They don't seem to allow traveling companions of persons with any disability get involved in screening. They won't let spouses help, they won't let parents help. I presume in TSA's paranoia they believe that one person will transfer contraband to another person if close contact is allowed, even "verbal" contact. Thus, they make not only their jobs more difficult but traveling far more unpleasant than it needs to be.
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
In the Tallahassee Democrat:
What will change at Tallahassee International Airport?

Pollard said his staff has started working on a five-point corrective action plan. The plan includes "TSA Cares" digital displays within the terminal that include a phone number for "travel assistance for persons with disabilities or medical conditions."

He also plans to bring in expert guest speakers at training sessions to help agents "be mindful of those unique and special needs."

Pollard said he "recognizes the tough jobs our TSA agents have," but that he gave the family "assurance that we certainly would learn from this."
As stated above, TSA Cares needs to be contacted 72 hours before a flight. Getting to the airport and calling them is most likely a waste of time.

The Airport Director plans to bring in guest speakers? How much say does the Airport Director have in training TSA screeners? Guest speakers are like the handouts that Sai linked to......worthless unless there is hands-on, situational training.

TSA screeners make their jobs "tough" with their attitudes.
Spiff, Boggie Dog and KRSW like this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
The kid didn't act out until TSA demanded a second pat down. Based on the clothing he had on I suggest the second pat down was punitive in nature. Besides, TSA should train their screeners to handle people of all circumstances. The handicapped have as much right to travel by air as the next person.
The thing I don't understand is this:
Chason asked the other TSA agent if they could use the room she offered before, but she said no.
Why was the private screening area not available for the second pat-down, when it had already been offered the first time?
Old Aug 23, 19, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post

Why was the private screening area not available for the second pat-down, when it had already been offered the first time?
Because the screener was retaliating against the father and son for refusing the private room the first time.
Old Aug 23, 19, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The young man was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. From the picture the T-Shirt was pretty snug so there was very little area that could have concealed WEI. My first question would be, why wasn't the first pat down adequate? The second question would be why was ETD testing not done to help eliminate additional hands on contact? The third question would be, what specifically was the screener suspicious of?

TSA claims to use Risk Based Screening. I know this person could potentially have WEI on their person but I would suggest the risk profile would be very low. Send him through the WTMD and be done with it.

The 72 hour window required for "TSA Cares" support is just not workable. Schedules change, things happen that are unexpected, and besides, TSA claims that screeners are properly trained to screen all people who present.

I don't think "TSA Cares" all that much!
Spiff and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post

The screener was using his positional authority to retaliate against the passenger who did not fit the mold for the average passenger.
Old Aug 23, 19, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
The TSA concentrates on things like this and they don't discipline their employees, and that is why the TSA misses 95% of WEI. If they were really focused on actually contributing to security, this sort of thing would never happen. But they do this, and passengers are abused and almost no WEI are interdicted.
Spiff, Boggie Dog, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They "apologize" to patronize the victims and the small percentage of the public who cares about these atrocities. Meanwhile, an American citizen and his/her family are permanently traumatized while federal government employees (TSA clerks) believe that they have done the right thing to protect America from Bad People who want to blow up airplanes.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
They don't seem to allow traveling companions of persons with any disability get involved in screening. ...
Nor should they.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Nor should they.
So you are saying it's open season on people with cognitive disabilities for the TSA? How nice.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:46 pm
Suspended

So you are saying it's open season on people with cognitive disabilities for the TSA? How nice.
I'm saying non-TSA third parties have no business taking part in security screenings. Otherwise, the whole thing would be an even bigger sham than it is already.

Frankly, people like the kid in the OP who start throwing punches after being touched probably shouldn't be on crowded airplanes in the first place.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:55 pm

I'm saying non-TSA third parties have no business taking part in security screenings. Otherwise, the whole thing would be an even bigger sham than it is already.

Frankly, people like the kid in the OP who start throwing punches after being touched probably shouldn't be on crowded airplanes in the first place.
Again, how nice.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Again, how nice.
"Nice" isn't the point of security screening or passenger safety. It's not "nice" being punched by an autistic kid at 30,000 feet, either, regardless of how sad it is that the kid has autism.
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:04 pm

"Nice" isn't the point of security screening or passenger safety. It's not "nice" being punched by an autistic kid at 30,000 feet, either, regardless of how sad it is that the kid has autism.
I'm not allowed to tell you how I feel about your recent statements. However, I will say that I am extremely sad for you and hope you never have a child with a disability.
Old Aug 27, 19, 2:08 pm
Suspended

I'm not allowed to tell you how I feel about your recent statements. However, I will say that I am extremely sad for you and hope you never have a child with a disability.
My position that huge holes shouldn't be created in our airport security screening has caused you to be so outraged so as to self-censor yourself? That seems ... unreasonable.

Search this Thread