Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Toddler ride on ATL airport's baggage conveyor belt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler ride on ATL airport's baggage conveyor belt

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:09 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
How come no one hit the e-stop button?! I know I've seen these at airports. The kid may have slipped behind the rubber curtain, but may have been spared the x-ray machine!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by TBD
How come no one hit the e-stop button?! I know I've seen these at airports. The kid may have slipped behind the rubber curtain, but may have been spared the x-ray machine!
One of the Spirit people did hit the stop button, but too late - the kid had already passed beyond Spirit's portion of the belt system into the screening area.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:39 pm
TBD

Originally Posted by WillCAD
One of the Spirit people did hit the stop button, but too late - the kid had already passed beyond Spirit's portion of the belt system into the screening area.
Ugh .. and obviously ... why would it stop the system beyond that point? /eyeroll
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by TBD
Ugh .. and obviously ... why would it stop the system beyond that point? /eyeroll
A major airport's baggage system is a massive collection of belts, with inputs at each airline, feeding into one or more TSA inline screening rooms behind the scenes. Shut down buttons don't shut down the entire baggage system for the entire airport, they only shut down a portion of the system. After all, if you get a bag stuck at Spirit, why would you shut down Delta or Southwest's belts?

You can criticize the mom for not keeping her toddler under positive control in a crowded, noisy, distracting environment, or blame the Spirit employees for not watching the belt or hitting the stop button quickly enough, but criticizing the stop button for not shutting down the whole system is like criticizing NYPD for not shutting down the entire New York subway system when someone falls onto the tracks in a station.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:04 pm
TBD

A major airport's baggage system is a massive collection of belts, with inputs at each airline, feeding into one or more TSA inline screening rooms behind the scenes. Shut down buttons don't shut down the entire baggage system for the entire airport, they only shut down a portion of the system. After all, if you get a bag stuck at Spirit, why would you shut down Delta or Southwest's belts?

You can criticize the mom for not keeping her toddler under positive control in a crowded, noisy, distracting environment, or blame the Spirit employees for not watching the belt or hitting the stop button quickly enough, but criticizing the stop button for not shutting down the whole system is like criticizing NYPD for not shutting down the entire New York subway system when someone falls onto the tracks in a station.
No, I wouldn't want Spirit's e-stop to shut down Delta's baggage system ... which is why I didn't say (and obviously wouldn't suggest) that the button shut the whole system down ....
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, they did, but it was too late for that. They did not catch him and he was disappearing from ticket counter.

Originally Posted by TBD
No, they didn't stop the belts. They didn't watch the kids. They supposed to watch the children and not to leave behind.

Originally Posted by TBD
No, I wouldn't want Spirit's e-stop to shut down Delta's baggage system ... which is why I didn't say (and obviously wouldn't suggest) that the button shut the whole system down ....
Actually, TSA officers is wait for him at the secondary screening room. He took him back to his mother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.