Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Reportedly Strip Search a Grandmother

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
What exactly does this mean? More wishy washy verbiage from TSA
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Didn't TSA finally admit that it did require one of the elderly women it searched to remove her pants? And what's the status of the case about the Muslim woman in Boston last year who claims TSA forced her to how them her sanitary napkin? (Allegedly, the same thing happened to another woman in Boston just a short while after the first incident - IIRC.)
Hm, I think I see TSA's loophole here.

Perhaps TSA classifies dropping your pants or pulling up your skirt or opening your shirt to be "adjusting" your clothes, but not "removing" your clothes. Which means that if a TSO orders you to drop your pants, that's not a strip search, since the garment is not actually removed, it's only adjusted to provide views of what lies beneath it.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is...
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Hm, I think I see TSA's loophole here.

Perhaps TSA classifies dropping your pants or pulling up your skirt or opening your shirt to be "adjusting" your clothes, but not "removing" your clothes. Which means that if a TSO orders you to drop your pants, that's not a strip search, since the garment is not actually removed, it's only adjusted to provide views of what lies beneath it.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is...
I was thinking perhaps it wasn't a strip search because garments were removed one at a time and replaced, the victim is never fully naked.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA can't be accused of creating writings that have clear meaning. I think we all know that TSA will never publicly acknowledge its screeners violating policy. TSA can deny in public while throwing the full weight of the government against this grandmother knowing going to a jury trial is a remote possibility. Not only is the cost of justice prohibitive but salaried government lawyers can draw out the process for years. Will be interesting watching this case go forward.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Once a person or party has violated the very personal space of someone’s genital area or made a viewing spectacle of such invasive voyeurism, it becomes easier and more likely for the person or party to repeat the violations which they have gotten away with before and attempt to do so to more people. It’s a pattern of behavior with the TSA, and so the victims are certainly way more than those who dare to go public with being humiliated and subjugated by the TSA in ways that wouldn’t be tolerated or ignored if two high school bullies did this TSA thing to some random new female student at school and it made the news.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:22 pm

TSA can't be accused of creating writings that have clear meaning. I think we all know that TSA will never publicly acknowledge its screeners violating policy. TSA can deny in public while throwing the full weight of the government against this grandmother knowing going to a jury trial is a remote possibility. Not only is the cost of justice prohibitive but salaried government lawyers can draw out the process for years. Will be interesting watching this case go forward.
The lawyer for the grandmother seems to be our very own Jon Corbett. He'll probably do it pro bono and is unlikely to ever let this one go.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"adjusting clothing" is right up there with "meeting resistance". This legalese is way beyond Francine's abilities.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:24 am

TSA has filed its response, a motion to dismiss (PDF). Corbett (FT @Affection) has a summary on his blog.

Key part he highlights:

These allegations amount to no more than indignities, annoyances, and petty oppressions. Even if it was subjectively “embarrassing,” “disturbing,” “humiliating,” and “offensive,” for Plaintiff to lower her clothing and show the feminine hygiene product she was wearing, the intrusion on her privacy was no more severe than what could be routinely experienced in a women’s locker room, where states of partial undress and feminine hygiene products are subject to observation by other members of the same gender.
Yay for no understanding of consent!
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by saizai
TSA has filed its response, a motion to dismiss (PDF). Corbett (FT @Affection) has a summary on his blog.

Key part he highlights:

These allegations amount to no more than indignities, annoyances, and petty oppressions. Even if it was subjectively “embarrassing,” “disturbing,” “humiliating,” and “offensive,” for Plaintiff to lower her clothing and show the feminine hygiene product she was wearing, the intrusion on her privacy was no more severe than what could be routinely experienced in a women’s locker room, where states of partial undress and feminine hygiene products are subject to observation by other members of the same gender.
Yay for no understanding of consent!
I wish I could say "unbelievable" but that's not possible.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Seems TSA is not standing behind the old tired line of never requiring a person to remove/open clothing. Indicates to me that strip searches have and do happen regardless of what has been stated by TSA.

I do {not} use feminine hygiene products but I can't think of anything more indignant or embarrassing than having to display such product in use. Whoever wrote the quote in the motion to dismiss failed Humanity 101.

I sincerely hope that the judge tosses that response back in the face of the government lawyers, whoever they may be.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Aug 19, 2019 at 11:32 am Reason: Correction
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:31 am

I sincerely hope that the judge tosses that response back in the face of the government lawyers, whoever they may be.
The authoring attorney signed the motion. As on the last page:

Rachael F. Zintgraff
OBA No. 31597
Assistant United States Attorney
<address, phone, fax, & email>
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:02 am

Jon / Mengert has filed an opposition to TSA's motion to substitute under the Westfall Act (which said basically "the individual defendants work for us, we think they did it in the course of their job, therefore the only the US can be liable and not the individuals").

See attached. (It'll be in my public Google Drive folder eventually, but I'm having some issues w/ sync.)

The opposition says basically "no, they can't be substituted, and we want to still sue them as individuals, because under Oklahoma law intentional infliction of emotional distress can never be within the scope of employment, and it was in bad faith too".

I'll withhold personal comment about the legal aspects of this one.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:01 am

from a layman's perspective, Jon's filing contesting the substitution seems very cogent and well argued. TSA seems to want to both have their cake and eat it too.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
From the perspective of a female who has spent plenty of time in locker rooms around the country, the female attorney who says women viewing other women's 'hygiene products' in locker rooms is normal or common is a liar and I seriously doubt that you are going to find any woman anywhere who is going to tell you they've seen anything like this.

It's no more likely than it probably is to see men wearing incontinence products in the locker room.
Spiff, Bogwoppit, tanja and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
Jon / Mengert has filed an opposition to TSA's motion to substitute under the Westfall Act (which said basically "the individual defendants work for us, we think they did it in the course of their job, therefore the only the US can be liable and not the individuals").

See attached. (It'll be in my public Google Drive folder eventually, but I'm having some issues w/ sync.)

The opposition says basically "no, they can't be substituted, and we want to still sue them as individuals, because under Oklahoma law intentional infliction of emotional distress can never be within the scope of employment, and it was in bad faith too".

I'll withhold personal comment about the legal aspects of this one.
What if TSA says that while we say we never strip search that's just for public consumption, in reality they are to strip search if needed to resolve an anomaly? It seems to me that would be a PR win but TSA would win the case.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What if TSA says that while we say we never strip search that's just for public consumption, in reality they are to strip search if needed to resolve an anomaly? It seems to me that would be a PR win but TSA would win the case.

Not a lawyer but I can't see any legal standard that would find Strip Searches conducted by non-law enforcement individuals to be acceptable. Even then Strip Searches have some stringent safeguards to protect citizens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.