TSA Reportedly Strip Search a Grandmother

Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA Reportedly Strip Search a Grandmother

Grandmother sues TSA claiming she was subjected to 'strip search'

The lawsuit alleges the woman, who had TSA Pre-Check clearance, informed a TSA screener on May 12 she had a metal joint implant and requested to be screened by a body scanner. The suit says after the body scan was completed, she was told she would need to undergo a "pat-down" search, which revealed she was wearing a feminine hygiene product.
TSA must have screening procedures based on some highly placed TSA employees fetish. This woman is reporting that TSA screeners
requested that the woman expose her genitals in order to inspect the feminine product.
Of course TSA claims that strip searches don't happen but far too many reports strongly suggest otherwise. The obvious solution is to require video recording of every TSA screeners action while working. Body cams might be a good solution. Missing video equals automatic fault on the part of TSA.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jun 9, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:46 am

Never go into a private room with the tsa. Never, never, never.
Spiff, GUWonder, jfunk138 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another article with more detail. If true either TSA has been completely dishonest about full body searches or TSA has a serious problem with screener supervision. Either way TSA should be required to disclose in detail all screening protocols and install video/audio recording devices at every screening station including TSA'S private screening rooms. Nothing short of full disclosure is acceptable.

Las Vegas grandmother sues TSA after they 'forced her to do a strip search and made her remove a common feminine hygiene product'
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It wasn't a 'strip search'.

She voluntarily removed all clothing from the lower part of her body so they could do an enhanced frisk of her resistance.

No word on whether or not TSA confiscated the 'feminine hygiene product'.

On a serious note, it makes me wonder if TSA keeps track of pax who are taken to private rooms for examination. How many times have the two female TSOs taken pax to a private room?

Sound far-fetched? Two female TSOs working together to target and harass pax in private rooms with zero accountability?

Remember, a male and a female TSO paired up to target pax that the male TSO found attractive and wanted to grope.

Standby for the blog post/announcement that this never happened.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
I hope she insists on a jury trial so that TSA is forced to describe details (or blatantly lie) in open court.

There are way too many cases over the years of individuals claiming they were required to remove clothing in private rooms for it to be coincidence.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:31 am

I hope it actually goes to court and the two TSOs are put on the stand.

I really really hope TSA doesn't offer to settle and if they do, she doesn't accept it. This isn't something that can or should be settled with taxpayer dollars.

If there is a settlement, it should be paid for partly with money currently reserved for TSA management bonuses.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by studentff
I hope she insists on a jury trial so that TSA is forced to describe details (or blatantly lie) in open court.

There are way too many cases over the years of individuals claiming they were required to remove clothing in private rooms for it to be coincidence.
Jury Trial Demanded

Here you go, lawsuit already filed.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Jury Trial Demanded

Here you go, lawsuit already filed.
I'm no lawyer, but that filing reads like a collection of arguments from this very board. All of which are reasonable, and all of which I support, but the phrasology and construction doesn't resemble any of the other filings we've seen here. It seems... awkward and amateurish by comparison.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'm no lawyer, but that filing reads like a collection of arguments from this very board. All of which are reasonable, and all of which I support, but the phrasology and construction doesn't resemble any of the other filings we've seen here. It seems... awkward and amateurish by comparison.
I imagine it's difficult to find top-notch legal folks willing to take on TSA, especially since there likely won't be any money in it for them.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:33 pm

Jonathan Corbett, Esq. Attorney for Plaintiff (Lead Counsel)
That's why the filings sound like a collection of arguments from TS&S.

To remind readers, Corbett got through the whole body scanner with concealed items that were not detectable by said scanner and I think he did it more than once.

He's had various suits himself against TSA, but I don't know the outcome of any of them.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You realize it's from someone who has been on here? He's gone through legal school and just got his license.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You realize it's from someone who has been on here? He's gone through legal school and just got his license.
I was commenting on the language and content of the filing. I don't really think it matters who the lawyer is.

As I said, I agree with the positions espoused in the filing. But the composition of it is not consistent with other filings we've seen linked here. The language is less polished, the assertions are more argumentative and emotionally charged than evidentiary, and it lacks the many citations of legal precedent that seem to fill such filings. It's just... awkward by comparison.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:52 am

<redacted by moderator>

Here's his own blog post about the case.

And here's what TSA tells the press "on background", i.e. they're too cowardly to put it on the record with their name attached:

Due to pending litigation, we cannot comment on the specifics of this case. TSA does not conduct strip searches and is committed to ensuring the security of travelers, while treating passengers of all ages with dignity and respect.
On Background:
  • Pat-down procedures are used to determine whether prohibited items or other threats to transportation security are concealed on the person. Travelers may be required to undergo a pat-down procedure if the screening technology alarms, as part of unpredictable security measures, for enhanced screening, or as an alternative to other types of screening, such as advanced imaging technology screening.
  • Travelers may be required to adjust clothing during the pat-down. The officer will advise of the procedure to help anticipate any actions. Pat-downs require sufficient pressure to ensure detection, and areas may undergo a pat-down more than once for the TSA officer to confirm no threat items are detected.
  • Pat-downs are conducted by an officer of the same gender. At any time during the process, passengers may request private screening accompanied by a companion of their choice. A second officer of the same gender will always be present during private screening.

Here's TSA's 2011 blog post about a similar incident (for some reason archived without its comments), which is the exhibit to the complaint. The Internet Archive preserved it with comments, though. And a few contemporaneous articles about that: Turtle Island, Neogaf, & Simple Justice.

Here's my folder of all filings in the caseMengert v TSA, No. 4:19-cv-304 (N.D. Okla., filed June 5, 2019) — which I'll keep updated.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:21 am Reason: Comments on moderation
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saizai
<redacted by moderator>

Here's his own blog post about the case.

And here's what TSA tells the press "on background", i.e. they're too cowardly to put it on the record with their name attached:

Here's TSA's 2011 blog post about a similar incident (for some reason archived without its comments), which is the exhibit to the complaint. The Internet Archive preserved it with comments, though. And a few contemporaneous articles about that: Turtle Island, Neogaf, & Simple Justice.

Here's my folder of all filings in the caseMengert v TSA, No. 4:19-cv-304 (N.D. Okla., filed June 5, 2019) — which I'll keep updated.
What exactly does this mean? More wishy washy verbiage from TSA
  • Travelers may be required to adjust clothing during the pat-down. The officer will advise of the procedure to help anticipate any actions. Pat-downs require sufficient pressure to ensure detection, and areas may undergo a pat-down more than once for the TSA officer to confirm no threat items are detected.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 10, 2019 at 10:23 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by saizai

Didn't TSA finally admit that it did require one of the elderly women it searched to remove her pants? And what's the status of the case about the Muslim woman in Boston last year who claims TSA forced her to how them her sanitary napkin? (Allegedly, the same thing happened to another woman in Boston just a short while after the first incident - IIRC.)

There's also the woman who was required to drop her pants to show her prosthesis and the gentleman who was required to show the TSA where his prosthesis was attached to his body so they could swab it for explosives. The same thing happened to a woman last year. https://fox8.com/2018/08/27/i-team-w...sa-checkpoint/

Last edited by petaluma1; Jun 10, 2019 at 11:03 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.