Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Reportedly Strip Search a Grandmother

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by saizai
Part of the legal foundation of TSA's ability to conduct no-suspicion no-consent "administrative searches" is that the intensity of search will be limited by its being in public. If people who were taken to back rooms simply refused to leave the public, on-camera area (as is their right), that would be put to the test.
As for the 'purpose' of the back rooms: in theory, it's for your privacy. In practice, it's to hide misconduct. Up to you whether you're a realist or a theorist.
That's what I've always advised: don't refuse the search but do refuse to go to the back room.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:42 pm

One wonders what in the world could have triggered a Kotex search in the first place. The whole thing is so ludicrous it makes me laugh, until I remember the poor soul it happened to.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
One wonders what in the world could have triggered a Kotex search in the first place. The whole thing is so ludicrous it makes me laugh, until I remember the poor soul it happened to.
Apparently the woman in question went through the body scanner that picked up an "anomaly" in her crotch area, which triggered a patdown during which the sanitary product was felt. How many women go through body scanners every day wearing a sanitary product? How many of those are picked up by the scanner? How many gropes are done as a result of the scanner "anomaly?" How many of those who are groped are sent to a back room to expose their sanitary product? The response is very few. Perhaps what triggers a demand to go to a back room (which should always be refused) is the thickness of the pad being worn.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Apparently the woman in question went through the body scanner that picked up an "anomaly" in her crotch area, which triggered a patdown during which the sanitary product was felt. How many women go through body scanners every day wearing a sanitary product? How many of those are picked up by the scanner? How many gropes are done as a result of the scanner "anomaly?" How many of those who are groped are sent to a back room to expose their sanitary product? The response is very few. Perhaps what triggers a demand to go to a back room (which should always be refused) is the thickness of the pad being worn.
I would like to see TSA's SOP on how to do this search. If it has happened once, it has happened many more times going unreported.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I agree. I'm also curious how the procedure for clearing women's sanitary products compares with clearing adult diapers, some of which are certainly bigger/thicker than women's sanitary products.

I suspect the answer will be that the scanner can't tell the difference between a moist wad of cotton/manmade fabrics and 'dense organic matter that probably is a bomb'.

Perhaps in some cases the 'anomaly' is the result of a screener deliberately or accidentally selecting the wrong gender on the scanner.

I'm sure some women have smuggled things in their bras and hygiene products at prisons, hence TSA's obsession with the private parts of a woman's body. However, men regularly try to smuggle astonishing (to me, anyway) things like cellphones and even a charger in their anus. Why does TSA pay so little attention to what people might have concealed there?
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
I agree. I'm also curious how the procedure for clearing women's sanitary products compares with clearing adult diapers, some of which are certainly bigger/thicker than women's sanitary products.

I suspect the answer will be that the scanner can't tell the difference between a moist wad of cotton/manmade fabrics and 'dense organic matter that probably is a bomb'.

Perhaps in some cases the 'anomaly' is the result of a screener deliberately or accidentally selecting the wrong gender on the scanner.

I'm sure some women have smuggled things in their bras and hygiene products at prisons, hence TSA's obsession with the private parts of a woman's body. However, men regularly try to smuggle astonishing (to me, anyway) things like cellphones and even a charger in their anus. Why does TSA pay so little attention to what people might have concealed there?
ETD is suppose to be used to detect hidden explosives. Sharps are of no real threat to the overall safety of the aircraft.

So what exactly is TSA trying to accomplish?
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
ETD is suppose to be used to detect hidden explosives. Sharps are of no real threat to the overall safety of the aircraft.

So what exactly is TSA trying to accomplish?
I can understand that if TSA doesn't like people taking snacks, they try to change pax behavior by hassling everyone who carries snacks.

I don't understand how they think harassing women wearing adult diapers or breast prostheses or sanitary products is going to result in those women changing their behavior.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I can understand that if TSA doesn't like people taking snacks, they try to change pax behavior by hassling everyone who carries snacks.

I don't understand how they think harassing women wearing adult diapers or breast prostheses or sanitary products is going to result in those women changing their behavior.

With TSA operating behind a cloak of secrecy, perhaps better stated, behind a cloak of non accountability, I can easily believe that some mid-level suit dreamed that women were going to introduce contraband hidden in their "resistance". Then this protector of the airways convinced some other mid-level suits that this was an imminent threat. The protectors of the airways committee drafted an updated SOP and zippety doo dah local screeners have a new mission to, well you know what they're doing. Aviation Security, TSA Style!
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:43 pm

Meanwhile, smuggling of contraband in another bodily orifice actually does go on regularly in our prisons, but somehow TSA has the inside scoop and knows that no terrorist of either gender would ever dream of smuggling something through the checkpoint concealed in that orifice.

Of course, that would mean they'd have to focus on men and women equally.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Why they can't determine with a wand whether a cotton Kotex pad is concealing contraband? But if that is impossible, then have the lady remove the disposable pad rather than remove her clothes and look at her privates.
The metal detector can't detect explosives. They're more concerned with a bomb than any weapon you could put in your underwear.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The metal detector can't detect explosives. They're more concerned with a bomb than any weapon you could put in your underwear.
If rubbing her crotch with their hands or a wand and then testing the gloves/wand wasn't good enough, they could have asked her to loosen her pants so they could put their hands or the wand directly on the product and then test the results.

It sounds like they wanted a visual examination of the product (ugh). I guess we all should be grateful they didn't insist on taking it back to the checkpoint to run through the xray like they did the back brace of another female pax.

BTW...has anyone ever heard or known of a male who was taken for a backroom inspection, whether or not they complained about it? Any children?

Former Congressional Representative Jason Chaffetz went ballistic when his young teen daughter was taken for a backroom inspection while her mother was getting the full blue-glove special and didn't realize what was happening to her daughter.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by saizai
I have no particular shame about my body. If the TSA want to insist that my webbing-and-D-rings belt be removed when I'm wearing my kilt, "traditionally", well... I can warn them that they reeeeeally don't want to do that, and that I strongly object, but also I ain't gonna interfere and I ain't going to a private room.

(Same as for cops' searches: object with words, keep it where it'll be recorded, but don't help them and don't physically interfere.

And yeah, this has actually happened, more than once, and that's exactly what I did. TSA always backed down and used a handheld magnetometer instead.)

So go ahead TSO, flash everyone with me if you dare. If it really is legal for you to conduct that search, and it's no big deal, then what's the problem? If you have the right to do the search, you don't need my consent... right?

I'll see you in court afterwards and we can find out if you were right.

Part of the legal foundation of TSA's ability to conduct no-suspicion no-consent "administrative searches" is that the intensity of search will be limited by its being in public. If people who were taken to back rooms simply refused to leave the public, on-camera area (as is their right), that would be put to the test.

As for the 'purpose' of the back rooms: in theory, it's for your privacy. In practice, it's to hide misconduct. Up to you whether you're a realist or a theorist.
Didn't the Pellegrino en banc decision say that "TSA screenings are not consensual"?
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:19 am

Meanwhile, smuggling of contraband in another bodily orifice actually does go on regularly
None of TSA's screening, except ETD, can detect items in a bodily orifice. This search couldn't either; this was about a pad, not a tampon.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
They should be. But ETD can detect non-metallic explosives, in underwear or elsewhere.

If rubbing her crotch with their hands or a wand and then testing the gloves/wand wasn't good enough, they could have asked her to loosen her pants so they could put their hands or the wand directly on the product and then test the results.
What you are describing is an even worse sexual assault than what they did.

BTW...has anyone ever heard or known of a male who was taken for a backroom inspection, whether or not they complained about it? Any children?
I've not heard of a cis male one, nor a child. I have heard of issues from multiple cis women, trans men, and trans women, however.

Former Congressional Representative Jason Chaffetz went ballistic when his young teen daughter was taken for a backroom inspection while her mother was getting the full blue-glove special and didn't realize what was happening to her daughter.
And yet Chaffetz - who was *head* of the House Oversight & Government Affairs Committee, with power to subpoena TSA - didn't do a damn thing about it.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Didn't the Pellegrino en banc decision say that "TSA screenings are not consensual"?
Yes, it did.

However, there's a widespread circuit split about it. Some say it's based on consent; some that it's based on notice. It's mostly an academic distinction; I don't know any case to date that would turn on it.

In any case, this is pretty standard stuff for 4th Amendment searches, especially cops. Don't resist, don't assist, and don't consent. Then you can argue about it in court later, and they can't say that it's your own fault for being "voluntary", or deny that they forced you to do it.

Here e.g., the grandma has a worse case because she's the one who took her pants down. TSA can claim that they were just "asking", or that she misinterpreted them, or whatever. It happened without recording, because it was in private room. No neutral observer. Sucks.

Whereas if they were the ones who undid her pants and pulled them down, her saying "I don't consent but won't resist" and keeping her arms folded, in public, TSA would be unquestionably on the hook for it.

Just like cops, if they have the right to conduct the search, they can do it without your cooperation. If they don't, they can't. Always force the issue.

If a government agent is asking you to do something (open your door, empty your pockets, whatever), it's because they can't force you and want you to give up that right "voluntarily". At least, that's what they'll argue in court, and they often win that one.

Last edited by saizai; Sep 3, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:59 am

Sai, I admit I grovel for TSA. That said, I believe that if I were to say "If you want my clothing 'adjusted', I will stand still while you 'adjust' it, but I will not 'adjust' it for you", I would get told that I was interfering with the screening process and I either do as I'm told or I won't be flying.

There was an episode in (where else?) PHX where a woman who had encountered problems before showed up in a bikini in a wheelchair. TSA claimed she had an unresolvable 'anomaly' of some kind on her rear, IIRC, and refused to clear her. She was told to come back the next day and try again (point being, they've made you miss your flight).
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:34 pm

Legally? I'm fairly certain that merely declining to do their job for them, especially when explicitly saying you're not going to do anything to stop them from doing it, is not any kind of interference.

Practically? They might violate the Constitution yet again. Wouldn't be a first. But it's also not that common. And the very fact that you are afraid of it, to me, means that they have already done a grave wrong - that's called "chilling effect", and self-censorship is one of the most pernicious ways that fascism operates.

Do you want to be actively assisting the subversion of civil rights? https://s.ai/copcards/manifesto
petaluma1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.