Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Changes Rules on Medical Cannabis (Quietly)

TSA Changes Rules on Medical Cannabis (Quietly)

Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:17 am

Reporting required by Agriculture Improvement Act

When asked about the "required by law" statement, AskTSA responded with:

See the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, Pub. L. 115-334. TSA officers are required to report any suspected violations of law to local, state or federal authorities. Please visit: http://bit.ly/2sehFKQ
I've searched the text of the document for the terms "Transportation Security Administration", "controlled substance", "violation" and "law enforcement" but can't find any thing to substantiate TSA's claim.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I suspect there is something in section 297 of the Ag act that relates/refers to working with the Attorney General in carrying out the AG's duties similar to or even in conjunction with the requirement contained 21 USC Part E, Section 873 (b) which follows:
(b) Requests by Attorney General for assistance from Federal agencies or instrumentalities

When requested by the Attorney General, it shall be the duty of any agency or instrumentality of the Federal Government to furnish assistance, including technical advice, to him for carrying out his functions under this subchapter; except that no such agency or instrumentality shall be required to furnish the name of, or other identifying information about, a patient or research subject whose identity it has undertaken to keep confidential.

It does not take much to reasonably believe that at some point after the creation of the Dept of Homeland (in)Security and the TSA the AG has made a request of DH(in)S and TSA to assist him in his duties by reporting potential/suspected violations of the CSA.

Last edited by Section 107; Jun 21, 2019 at 10:43 am Reason: added info
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
I suspect there is something in section 297 of the Ag act that relates/refers to working with the Attorney General in carrying out the AG's duties similar to or even in conjunction with the requirement contained 21 USC Part E, Section 873 (b) which follows:
(b) Requests by Attorney General for assistance from Federal agencies or instrumentalities

When requested by the Attorney General, it shall be the duty of any agency or instrumentality of the Federal Government to furnish assistance, including technical advice, to him for carrying out his functions under this subchapter; except that no such agency or instrumentality shall be required to furnish the name of, or other identifying information about, a patient or research subject whose identity it has undertaken to keep confidential.

It does not take much to reasonably believe that at some point after the creation of the Dept of Homeland (in)Security and the TSA the AG has made a request of DH(in)S and TSA to assist him in his duties by reporting potential/suspected violations of the CSA.
Now we are getting somewhere.

Section 297 of the Ag Act deals with the production of hemp and does not contain this phrase:
When requested by the Attorney General, it shall be the duty of any agency or instrumentality of the Federal Government to furnish assistance,
However, the controlled substances act does contain the same phrase and as well as this:

(3) conduct training programs on controlled substance law enforcement for local, State, tribal, and Federal personnel;
So if the Attorney General requires the TSA to refer people caught with drugs to law enforcement (even if that is not spelled out anywhere in the law that I can see), it's apparent that the Attorney General also requires the people who are dealing with this issue to be trained in the subject of controlled substance enforcement. Yet the TSA claims they do no training in the recognition of controlled substances.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If such is the case then why can't TSA point to that language? The question has been asked many times only to be met by silence.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Now we are getting somewhere.

Section 297 of the Ag Act deals with the production of hemp and does not contain this phrase:

However, the controlled substances act does contain the same phrase and as well as this:

So if the Attorney General requires the TSA to refer people caught with drugs to law enforcement (even if that is not spelled out anywhere in the law that I can see), it's apparent that the Attorney General also requires the people who are dealing with this issue to be trained in the subject of controlled substance enforcement. Yet the TSA claims they do no training in the recognition of controlled substances.
[bolding added]

I am confused - are you saying you can't see it in the Ag Act or you can't see it in the CSA (which you quote and state that's what it says)? It is certainly explicit in the CSA. As I said earlier, it might well be in the Ag Act but as a section that refers to another section which refers to the CSA or some other law which has a section that says so - which is often how congresscritters prefer to write legislation....
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:16 pm

[bolding added]

I am confused - are you saying you can't see it in the Ag Act or you can't see it in the CSA (which you quote and state that's what it says)? It is certainly explicit in the CSA. As I said earlier, it might well be in the Ag Act but as a section that refers to another section which refers to the CSA or some other law which has a section that says so - which is often how congresscritters prefer to write legislation....
Sorry - I don't see it in the Agriculture Act.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.