Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Changes Rules on Medical Cannabis (Quietly)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Changes Rules on Medical Cannabis (Quietly)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47

TSA can, and probably does, have its own set of regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures that are not codified in any CFR. As it is CFRs are not laws in the sense we typically think of laws and really are more administrative laws that cut across the whole Federal government. For instance the US Army has hundreds of regulations, field manuals, training manuals, standard operating procedures, etc., from the very highest Army-wide level down to the lowest unit level and the majority of those are not based on a CFR. That said there are some instances where a CFR is based on law and the CFR lays out how the Federal government will comply with and enforce the law. Typically the CFR lays out general guidelines and charges Federal agencies with enforcing the law and requires they develop their own appropriate set of regulations, etc. It’s a bit of a gray area sometimes hard to understand even to those of us in the Federal government. Bottom line is there may be a CFR that requires Federal agencies to adhere to and enforce Federal controlled substance laws but most probably doesn’t get down to the detail that TSA personnel are required to report suspected substances. That more likely is a TSA level regulation, policy, or other appropriate guideline.
An internal government agency policy should not impact the public. We see local and state governments that have decided to not cooperate with certain federal agencies.

edit to add: It should be no great task to recite the rule that requires such reporting if there is one.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
An internal government agency policy should not impact the public. We see local and state governments that have decided to not cooperate with certain federal agencies.

edit to add: It should be no great task to recite the rule that requires such reporting if there is one.
Really? I’d lay a bet that there are agencies/sub-agencies that by definition routinely interface with the public that have a whole set of “internal” regulations, policies, guidelines, etc., that lay out how they interface with the public. Off the top of my head there is the Social Security Administration, Internal Revenue Service, and Veterans Affairs Administration just to name a few. I’d throw Department of Homeland Security and its subagencies into those agencies that have direct and frequent contact with the public.

PS - To get what I think you’re looking probably would require a FOIA request. That potentially could show if there is a real or implied authority in the USC, CFR, or in internal guidance to report suspected controlled substances to local authorities.

Last edited by Randyk47; May 31, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old May 31, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I dont understand the fixation that if it's not in a statute or published in the CFR a federal agency cannot place on its employees a requirement (in this case, to notify proper authority of a suspected violation of law) on how to act/what to do in certain situations and the implication that absent such statute or CFR the employer's requirements are invalid.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
TSA clerks wouldn't understand the differences if it hit them between the eyes. We are told that they aren't trained on drug interdiction at the academy (and, of course, we believe it), so they will have to rely on their own personal experience or what they see on HBO.
Yeah, I was reading an earlier post and wondered if TSOs are going to start reading labels again. Last time they did, I got my nitro pills confiscated.

How much training will TSOs get to enable them to distinguish between hemp-based CBD products (legal) and marijuana-based CBD products (not legal)?

Or will they follow the usual TSA practice: when in doubt, confiscate, even if you are 100% sure it poses no threat to aviation security.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
I dont understand the fixation that if it's not in a statute or published in the CFR a federal agency cannot place on its employees a requirement (in this case, to notify proper authority of a suspected violation of law) on how to act/what to do in certain situations and the implication that absent such statute or CFR the employer's requirements are invalid.
If it is mandatory, that means no TSO is allowed to ignore the law/rule/regulation at his/her discretion.

Now it sounds llke we have yet another TSA 'law' that really boils down to TSOs doing whatever they want.

The stupidest part? TSA routinely misses firearms which probably aren't enough to take down an airplane. They could certainly be used to cause bodily harm, but so could a laptop or martial arts skills.

So instead of paying more attention to screening instead of cellphones and personal chit-chat, TSA decides to make it clear that contrary to the evidence, TSA isn't specifically targeting drugs, although it will summon LE and make a report even if the TSO mistakenly identifies a baggie of oregano as marijuana. Additionally, the screeners who aren't looking for drugs and aren't trained to recognize drugs will now be tasked with reading labels to determine if CBD ointment is hemp or marijuana-derived.

All of this effort to tackle drugs that can't jeopardize aviation safety in any way. In the meantime, they continue to open containers of powders at checkpoints, knowing that the powders could be anthrax or fentanyl, genuine threats to public safety, on or off a plane.
petaluma1 likes this.

Last edited by chollie; May 31, 2019 at 11:45 am
Old May 31, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm assuming a 100% confiscation policy.
I ain't bringing my stash to the airport so some TSO has a better weekend.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
From what I understand they don’t have that authority. Sounds like it’s a “see something, say something” policy and that gets dumped in the lap of the local police. Not sure what happens if the police say “no issue” when it’s legal in their state. I will say the quoted guidance in a posting above is clear as mud. I share Chollie’s concern that the new policy makes things worse instead of better.

Last edited by Randyk47; May 31, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old May 31, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
I'd like to know if weed confiscations are handled the same way firearm confiscations are handled, ie, LE takes charge of the confiscated material for proper disposal. I read that some airport has a bin for weed disposal next to the can for liquid disposal pre-checkpoint. I'd want to know who takes custody of that disposal bin and what audit trail there is.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
I'd like to know if weed confiscations are handled the same way firearm confiscations are handled, ie, LE takes charge of the confiscated material for proper disposal. I read that some airport has a bin for weed disposal next to the can for liquid disposal pre-checkpoint. I'd want to know who takes custody of that disposal bin and what audit trail there is.
Wouldn't the person holding the weed disposal bin be in violation of federal law for simple possession?​​​​​​
Old May 31, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Wouldn't the person holding the weed disposal bin be in violation of federal law for simple possession?​​​​​​
Not if it's a TSO because the laws that apply to TSOs are SSI, so we have no way of knowing what is allowed and what isn't. They take possession of prescription meds that are not their own, so presumably illegal drugs would be handled the same way.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by chollie
If it is mandatory, that means no TSO is allowed to ignore the law/rule/regulation at his/her discretion.

Now it sounds llke we have yet another TSA 'law' that really boils down to TSOs doing whatever they want.

The stupidest part? TSA routinely misses firearms which probably aren't enough to take down an airplane. They could certainly be used to cause bodily harm, but so could a laptop or martial arts skills.

So instead of paying more attention to screening instead of cellphones and personal chit-chat, TSA decides to make it clear that contrary to the evidence, TSA isn't specifically targeting drugs, although it will summon LE and make a report even if the TSO mistakenly identifies a baggie of oregano as marijuana. Additionally, the screeners who aren't looking for drugs and aren't trained to recognize drugs will now be tasked with reading labels to determine if CBD ointment is hemp or marijuana-derived.

All of this effort to tackle drugs that can't jeopardize aviation safety in any way. In the meantime, they continue to open containers of powders at checkpoints, knowing that the powders could be anthrax or fentanyl, genuine threats to public safety, on or off a plane.
Don't let Karate Man fly.....
Old May 31, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
TSA can, and probably does, have its own set of regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures that are not codified in any CFR. As it is CFRs are not laws in the sense we typically think of laws and really are more administrative laws that cut across the whole Federal government. For instance the US Army has hundreds of regulations, field manuals, training manuals, standard operating procedures, etc., from the very highest Army-wide level down to the lowest unit level and the majority of those are not based on a CFR. That said there are some instances where a CFR is based on law and the CFR lays out how the Federal government will comply with and enforce the law. Typically the CFR lays out general guidelines and charges Federal agencies with enforcing the law and requires they develop their own appropriate set of regulations, etc. It’s a bit of a gray area sometimes hard to understand even to those of us in the Federal government. Bottom line is there may be a CFR that requires Federal agencies to adhere to and enforce Federal controlled substance laws but most probably doesn’t get down to the detail that TSA personnel are required to report suspected substances. That more likely is a TSA level regulation, policy, or other appropriate guideline.
I'm sure that when the resident TSOs on this board say that TSOs are "required" to notify LEOs when they suspect an illegal substance, they mean solely that TSA internal regulations require such a report.

What we're asking is, under what authority did TSA enact such a requirement on their screening personnel, which not only has absolutely nothing to do with aviation security, but actually compromises security by wasting resources, disrupting/interrupting screening operations, and distracts other TSA personnel from their jobs. Not to mention the waste of time when local LEOs are summoned for something that may or may not be an illegal substance in their jurisdiction, and the black eye it gives TSA in general when they hold up travelers for false alarms, often scaring the bejeebus out of bystanders who don't know whether the cops are there for a bag of oregano twenty pounds of C4 shaped like a teddy bear.

Basically, if they're not required by some federal law to report suspected illegal substances, then they shouldn't be reporting them because such reporting presents a genuine security risk to the traveling public.

From what I understand they don’t have that authority. Sounds like it’s a “see something, say something” policy and that gets dumped in the lap of the local police. Not sure what happens if the police say “no issue” when it’s legal in their state. I will say the quoted guidance in a posting above is clear as mud. I share Chollie’s concern that the new policy makes things worse instead of better.
If something is not a prohibited item, and it's not illegal in the jurisdiction where the report is made, if the substance confiscated? Is the traveler allowed to continue on their journey? I want to know the answers to these questions as well.

Originally Posted by txpenny
Don't let Karate Man fly.....
Karate man bruises on the INSIDE.

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; May 31, 2019 at 11:10 pm Reason: FT Rule 8, no animated images permitted
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:17 am

I fail to see the same "fixation" as you apparently see. What I see is a failure of anyone from TSA being able to point to the federal law that requires TSA screeners to report suspected drugs.

But in the event a substance appears to be marijuana or a cannabis-infused product, we’re required by federal law to notify law enforcement. This includes items that are used for medicinal purposes.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne.../#1910a99831e6
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:56 am

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...ing-procedures This TSA blurb mentions the Controlled Substances Act (Title 21 United States Code) as the source of their requirement to report discovered controlled substances to local authorities. I don’t have the energy or time to read through the several hundred pages of Title 21 to see what authorities are set out.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:39 am

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...ing-procedures This TSA blurb mentions the Controlled Substances Act (Title 21 United States Code) as the source of their requirement to report discovered controlled substances to local authorities. I don’t have the energy or time to read through the several hundred pages of Title 21 to see what authorities are set out.
That never really made sense to me. If you are a federal worker who knows the law being broken is a federal law, why are the local authorities summoned? They have no jurisdiction and less knowledge of federal laws than federal LEs. Unless local muscle is needed to physically secure the accused pax until the federal authorities arrive, I can't see why they would or should be involved.
Boggie Dog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.