Wiki Posts
Search

Dianna Ross Violated by NOLA TSA

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dianna Ross Violated by NOLA TSA

Dianna Ross was the recipient of one of TSA's Hands On Pat Downs.

I FELT VIOLATED BY NOLA TSA!!! ... Made Me Wanna Cry

Diana says she felt violated by the incident, going on to say she could still feel the woman's hands "between my legs, front and back." She says the agent told her she was just doing her job, but Diana ain't buying that ... presumably feeling the pat-down was too handsy.
I hope reports like this from highly visible people help change TSA"S Sexual Assault Pat Downs.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Not Ms. Ross' first clash with security:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/sep/22/7
Old May 5, 2019, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mats
Not Ms. Ross' first clash with security:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/sep/22/7
How times change:

Originally Posted by The Guardian in 1999
Ross then stormed off to the VIP lounge, telling reporters: "I'm absolutely furious. Do you know when they search you, they actually touch your breast? It's disgraceful. They wouldn't touch a man's penis, would they?"
The TSA would by way of a reference to “resistance”.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

Old May 5, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
They should have stopped in the name of love.

Before they broke her heart.
Old May 5, 2019, 5:11 pm

I only wear skirts. I frequently have a female from TSA run her hands between my legs. I once complained at the supervisors desk. They went with me to an unused X-ray machine and showed how my loose skirts cast shadows and they couldn’t tell if I had something strapped on or not. I agree, it cast shadows. I do have the option of going to a private room and lifting my skirt!

I don’t know what she she was wearing but I do think she is very DYKWIA and needs to get over it!

BTW, I’m over 60, so I doubt anyone was just looking to cop a feel.
Old May 5, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UPDATE

2:37 PM PT -- TSA has released a statement regarding Diana's uncomfortable pat-down. The agency says, "TSA is committed to ensuring all travelers are treated with respect and courtesy. TSA is aware of concerns presented by Diana Ross about her screening experience at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport this morning.

They continued ... "Initial review of CCTV indicates that the officers involved with Ms. Ross’s screening correctly followed all protocols, however, TSA leadership will continue to investigate the matter further. We encourage Ms. Ross to reach out to TSA so we can work with her directly to address her concerns."
Old May 5, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
The TSA will never admit a pat down was improper, even if there are witnesses and video.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Why they do these pat downs is beyond me. No one could plausibly argue that it’s warranted in cases such as this. Do they really think Diana Ross, of all people, is going to hijack an airliner? Please.

I’m not a fan of pat downs myself, but they don’t bother me all that much. Probably in the minority, however.

That said, the most aggressive pat down I’ve ever had was recently in PEK. Despite not tripping the metal detector. It was very thoroughly conducted by a female screener (I’m male). She touched nearly my entire body, save for my groin. It didn’t bother me, but I can easily see how one could be embarrassed or feel violated.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by swingaling
Why they do these pat downs is beyond me. No one could plausibly argue that it’s warranted in cases such as this. Do they really think Diana Ross, of all people, is going to hijack an airliner? Please.

I’m not a fan of pat downs myself, but they don’t bother me all that much. Probably in the minority, however.

That said, the most aggressive pat down I’ve ever had was recently in PEK. Despite not tripping the metal detector. It was very thoroughly conducted by a female screener (I’m male). She touched nearly my entire body, save for my groin. It didn’t bother me, but I can easily see how one could be embarrassed or feel violated.
The TSA has screeners who touch passengers’ groin areas. They even touch the groin area of young children at times.

I have had some pat downs when flying out of BJS/PEK, and IME there the pat-downs at Chinese airports are not as routinely aggressive and intrusive as what the TSA does as routine to some passengers at US airports.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:41 am

I was selected 2 times on one trip home last week for patdowns. I wear somewhat baggy pull on pants and a long sleeve tshirt for overseas travel for comfort/warmth. Had it happen on other flights as well. I agree on something about shadows with the clothing. My shoulders and pants area near pockets were lit up on their screens each time.
awayIgo likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
We encourage Ms. Ross to reach out to TSA so we can work with her directly to address her concerns
That's the infamous phrase TSA uses to try to mollify passengers who have been molested/assaulted. They want to "work" with you and yet nothing ever comes of it. Just ask Jennifer Williamson, Amy Van Dyken-Rouen, Kristin Beck and others who thought their input with TSA would do some good. None of it ever has had one iota of positive impact.
Spiff, GUWonder and Boggie Dog like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
My junk gets groped 75% of the time I get a patdown. I’m always tempted to recreate the Deli scene from When Harry met Sally...
bruceba likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The TSA has screeners who touch passengers’ groin areas. They even touch the groin area of young children at times.

I have had some pat downs when flying out of BJS/PEK, and IME there the pat-downs at Chinese airports are not as routinely aggressive and intrusive as what the TSA does as routine to some passengers at US airports.
It's been a while since I've had a TSA patdown, but I didn't much enjoy the backhanded swipes across my groin.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Please don't use the term "groin areas" - use the correct term to describe what TSA does: "touch passengers' genital areas".
Spiff, GUWonder and :D! like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.