Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dianna Ross Violated by NOLA TSA

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If TSA wants to do an invasive genital grope of Dianna Ross or anyone else then I believe TSA has an absolute obligation to so disclose that fact.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Still trying to figure out what Brainiac decided Diana Ross was likely to try and commandeer an aircraft?
Or was it a TSO who just wanted to be able to go on their next break and say they felt up Diana Ross?
Which, in the end, is more likely?
Bingo!
Old May 7, 2019, 11:07 am

Still trying to figure out what Brainiac decided Diana Ross was likely to try and commandeer an aircraft?
Or was it a TSO who just wanted to be able to go on their next break and say they felt up Diana Ross?
Which, in the end, is more likely?
Oh, there are plenty of other options. For me, the most likely is that, in fact, the TSOs on duty didn't know that the passenger was Diana Ross --- or, in fact, who Diana Ross is. It's been fifty years since the peak of the Motown era, and not every random person knows every great singer from that era.

And even if Ms. Ross pulled a DYKWIA, what difference would it make? From the TSO's perspective, the passenger could just be someone who looks like Ms. Ross. (How are you going to authenticate her claim? Ask her to sing the second verse of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?)
gsoltso and strickerj like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Oh, there are plenty of other options. For me, the most likely is that, in fact, the TSOs on duty didn't know that the passenger was Diana Ross --- or, in fact, who Diana Ross is. It's been fifty years since the peak of the Motown era, and not every random person knows every great singer from that era.

And even if Ms. Ross pulled a DYKWIA, what difference would it make? From the TSO's perspective, the passenger could just be someone who looks like Ms. Ross. (How are you going to authenticate her claim? Ask her to sing the second verse of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"?)
I'm almost positive Ross let them know exactly who she is.
Was not Diana Ross the archetype of the pop-star diva?
Judging by the average age of the TSOs I encounter, I'd guess most know those songs so well they could sing along with her.
None of that addresses the issue of idiotic mis-application of resources when purportedly tasked with the very safety of the traveling public against an existential threat. Rather they seem to take the appearance of some weird kind of "equality of suspicion" as they're most important function. As if not profiling suspects means disregarding obvious non-threats.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm almost positive Ross let them know exactly who she is.
Was not Diana Ross the archetype of the pop-star diva?
Judging by the average age of the TSOs I encounter, I'd guess most know those songs so well they could sing along with her.
None of that addresses the issue of idiotic mis-application of resources when purportedly tasked with the very safety of the traveling public against an existential threat. Rather they seem to take the appearance of some weird kind of "equality of suspicion" as they're most important function. As if not profiling suspects means disregarding obvious non-threats.
Where TSA is concerned we are all guilty of being terrorists until we prove our innocence, even Dianna Ross.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The general tenor of the comments in this thread is that a) Diana Ross should be exempted from pre-flight security and b) there isn't really a threat so we should all be exempted.

As for a) it's absurd to exempt Diana Ross from pre-flight security, just as it's absurd to exempt any celeb, which includes a fair number of bad 'uns, unless profiling were to be explicitly employed. If that were to happen, the outrage from people who aren't pale, male and stale would be palpable.
As for b) there may or may not be a threat currently, but we would likely return to significant threat levels if we stopped all pre-flight security.

Ms Ross should stop throwing her enormous privilege into the faces of the common people.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The general tenor of the comments in this thread is that a) Diana Ross should be exempted from pre-flight security and b) there isn't really a threat so we should all be exempted.

As for a) it's absurd to exempt Diana Ross from pre-flight security, just as it's absurd to exempt any celeb, which includes a fair number of bad 'uns, unless profiling were to be explicitly employed. If that were to happen, the outrage from people who aren't pale, male and stale would be palpable.
As for b) there may or may not be a threat currently, but we would likely return to significant threat levels if we stopped all pre-flight security.

Ms Ross should stop throwing her enormous privilege into the faces of the common people.
The issue is TSA groping genitals. TSA claims that doesn't happen but far too many reports say different. TSA is not police and the search is limited to finding WEI. Crotch groping isn't needed to find WEI.
Spiff likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The issue is TSA groping genitals. TSA claims that doesn't happen but far too many reports say different. TSA is not police and the search is limited to finding WEI. Crotch groping isn't needed to find WEI.
A 60-120 second + genital groping of children is also completely unnecessary

Again, based on risk, I am going to say its pretty much 0% chance they will be carrying WEI
Old May 8, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mysterym
A 60-120 second + genital groping of children is also completely unnecessary

Again, based on risk, I am going to say its pretty much 0% chance they will be carrying WEI
The odds that Dianna Ross had WEI secreted in her crotch is also near 0% likely but TSA has issues with reasoning and cognitive burdens.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Everyone, regardless of age is subject to security. In Israel, they profile and extra security is usually only for those who fit the profile of individuals who may be problematic. In the US, we are not allowed to profile so TSA gets to waste time checking those they KNOW are okay. It’s a numbers game to make sure no one feels singled out because of who they are, where they are from or where they visited.
In spite of claiming they don't profile, TSA actually does. Just ask almost any dark skinned person, especially a male with a beard.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo

No one is calling for the cessation of all pre-flight security. What people want is sensible security, similar to that in effect on 9/10/01, meaning no hands in the genitals.

Last edited by TWA884; May 8, 2019 at 1:38 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Folks,

This thread is about Diana Ross feeling violated by a TSA screener who patted her down between her legs.

While some natural deviation from the subject matter is obviously fine, i.e., comparisons and examples of similar complaints/incidents, please let's keep to focus of this thread about this incident (FlyerTalk Rule 5: Stay on Topic).

We have plenty of threads discussing the so-called enhanced screening, children being groped and profiling.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 9, 2019, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This popped up in my news feed:

In the New York Post:
Diana Ross’ TSA pat-down investigation closed

<snip>

TSA leadership at MSY reviewed the CCTV and interviewed the officers involved with Ms. Ross’s screening and determined that protocols for resolving alarms during Advanced Imaging Technology screening were correctly followed. TSA procedures are designed to protect all travelers from persistent threats to the aviation system.”

It appears that Ross eventually had a change of heart regarding the incident, as she later thanked the TSA for protecting the country.

“We are so blessed to have the security that we have at the airports and in our country- this I know And I appreciate it ‘TOTALLY ‘,” she tweeted, adding “Thank you to all those good and loving people that take care of me and us thank you thank you thank you.”

Old May 15, 2019, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I suspect someone let her know that if she thought the NOLA blue-glove hands-on exercise was invasive, she was going to be horrified about the future treatment she'd get if she didn't publicly back off.
Old May 24, 2019, 6:59 pm

The only reason, that I am aware of, on why an individual needs to be manually screened, for domestic flights, is when that individual left something in his or her pocket or in person that the unknown items, be it paper/tissue/etc, showed on the screening monitor.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatOddMan
The only reason, that I am aware of, on why an individual needs to be manually screened, for domestic flights, is when that individual left something in his or her pocket or in person that the unknown items, be it paper/tissue/etc, showed on the screening monitor.
Does that mean that Chrissie Hynde and Alanis Morissette are groped every time they fly?
LAX-1K and YadiMolina like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.