Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

If you are a frequent flyer, put the trays back after you finished security screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you are a frequent flyer, put the trays back after you finished security screening

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:45 am

Precheck lanes have bins? I've never seen it and I've been yelled at for taking a bin from the other lane to use for my coat.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
If one is a frequent flyer, one should be in the pre-check line, and to be honest there should not be bins, bowls, or bozos in the line. Empty yer pockets and put your trinkets in your carryon not a bowl. Nothing comes out or is taken off so what does one need a bin for their coat? Just put it on top of your carry on.

Now what is funny are the airports where everything goes into a bin regardless. I think it is funny when I put my bag directly on the belt and they immediately get bent out of shape grab my bag and put a bin under it.
At some checkpoints, the bin thing actually makes sense - it keeps dangling pack straps from getting caught in the rollers (if any). For a screener, it's probably easier to just put all packs in bins than to check to see if there are dangling straps. That same screener will (or should) be eyeing the pax-loaded bins as they go through to make sure there's nothing to dangle and snag in the rollers.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: WN RR, DL SM, Hilton, Marriott, National
When I do need to use a bin I will restack. But I can see how other pax, with hands full of reclaimed phones, jewelry, backpacks, etc. and wanting to clear the post-scan scrum area as quickly as possible might not be able to be so helpful.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
If one is a frequent flyer, one should be in the pre-check line, and to be honest there should not be bins, bowls, or bozos in the line. Empty yer pockets and put your trinkets in your carryon not a bowl. Nothing comes out or is taken off so what does one need a bin for their coat? Just put it on top of your carry on.

Now what is funny are the airports where everything goes into a bin regardless. I think it is funny when I put my bag directly on the belt and they immediately get bent out of shape grab my bag and put a bin under it.
Okay, you object to the use of key and watch bowls in Pre.
But when you use a bin, do you restack it?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Gig103
Since my real reply was covered (Get TSA Precheck and skip the bins)...
The OP is based in BUD (Hungary). There is no TSA or PreCheck there.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by jah718
Don't think the OP said this was necessarily in the US, so pre - check may not be an option.

As to the people saying there should be a person whose job it is to put your bin away, seriously?! Just pick up the bin and put it at the end, it is literally the easiest thing to do. This type of behaviour always makes me angry in the security line.
Far often than not there is a PAX at the end of the output line recomposing themselves so it is not always the easiest thing to do because they are blocking were bins should go.

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Yeah, except that everything goes into a bin when you've got the automated lines including Pre-Check in Terminal C at EWR.
In those cases there needs to be a continuous feed of bins that require no human interaction.

Originally Posted by chollie
At some checkpoints, the bin thing actually makes sense - it keeps dangling pack straps from getting caught in the rollers (if any). For a screener, it's probably easier to just put all packs in bins than to check to see if there are dangling straps. That same screener will (or should) be eyeing the pax-loaded bins as they go through to make sure there's nothing to dangle and snag in the rollers.
As someone who travels with a pack I make sure the straps are out of the way as possible so not to get caught. However, IME when a screener places my pack in a bin they rarely pay any attention to the straps.

Originally Posted by rickg523
Okay, you object to the use of key and watch bowls in Pre.
But when you use a bin, do you restack it?
When airports where two bins are needed I stack what I used but sometimes it is not possible to do more than that - see my first response.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Not my job.
Also, typically there seems to be plenty of staff around to do this.
Spiff and kennycrudup like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Lets get real. Restacking the bins? After being selected for secondary screening, striping half my clothes off, receiving a standing full body massage, and then having my carryon rescreened (twice). If it offends the nice tsa person I'm all for it.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
It's not my job to stack bins, so I leave them where they are when I get my items out of them.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:36 am

1. Be ready for security.
  2. Put all your stuff in the bins that might set off the buzzer.
  3. Move through quickly.
  4. Grab your stuff and go.
  5. Leaving the bins is fine and widely accepted around the world.
  6. If some self-righteous #@#@@%$ person says "excuse me sir, is this your first time ever flying?", laugh and walk away.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm seeing increased security line automation, with a new belt system which moves the used trays back under the in use trays, and then pops them up for loading. There signs saying to not stack the trays at the end, as there is an auto-loader that I guess looks into the first tray into the recycle bin and will stop if there is something in it. In fact I've heard TSA barkers getting quite annoyed when people stacked their own trays. Otherwise, I'm generally with the OP, just out of courtesy to my fellow pax.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can rarely get them to give me a bin, or even a little bowl, in pre. They are really big on this whole "your bag is your bin" idea. Extremely annoying since I often only have a clamshell where you have to open the whole thing to get anything in or out. A bowl would be an order of magnitude faster. It's clearly not to speed anything up; I think they are just too lazy to pick up the empty bowls on the other end.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AZ Executive (STE+) - FB Silver (STÉ)- Lounge Key
Originally Posted by Global321
  1. Be ready for security.
  2. Put all your stuff in the bins that might set off the buzzer.
  3. Move through quickly.
  4. Grab your stuff and go.
  5. Leaving the bins is fine and widely accepted around the world.
  6. If some self-righteous #@#@@%$ person says "excuse me sir, is this your first time ever flying?", laugh and walk away.
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I'm seeing increased security line automation, with a new belt system which moves the used trays back under the in use trays, and then pops them up for loading. There signs saying to not stack the trays at the end, as there is an auto-loader that I guess looks into the first tray into the recycle bin and will stop if there is something in it. In fact I've heard TSA barkers getting quite annoyed when people stacked their own trays. Otherwise, I'm generally with the OP, just out of courtesy to my fellow pax.
I totally agree with the OP, when the line is not automatised, for the purpose of the fast track lane and unless rushing, Elites could contribute to collect the trays or some agent should do it.

Here is an example of an automatised line.
From the recent time it has been implemented in Prague for EU flights, FF can even dodge the unfamiliar pax when preparing for X-ray as people send their tray once ready.
Then, the trays collections airside is also automatic when a sensor identify the last one as empty, and sent them back lanside

https://www.prg.aero/en/prague-airpo...2#lg=1&slide=1

While these security lanes are very efficient, I still have to face the zealous more-junior-than-I-am screeners before X-ray (I am on my mid-twenties), who seem not to get used to mind how « TSA-knowledgeable » are the pax having a Golden / Platinum bragtag perfectly plopping on their carry-ons handles

Last edited by catsniper75; Apr 28, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
TSA whining

I pay for the TSA each and every time I go through a checkpoint. (2 -3 times a week) I don't consider hauling bins around to be my role. TSA can appoint a bin stacker or install a truly automated system that moves the bins back to the other side.

84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I generally do collect my and other empty trays, but...

Originally Posted by e30st
Whenever I go through security screenings, around 90% of passengers don't collect the trays and just leave it there, blocking others from getting back their stuffs.
And no, its not just a general stupidity issue, or a problem of low-educated people. Many bizclass flyer, frequent flyers with bragtags on their hand luggage also leave their trays behind.
Any real frequent flyer shall know that if you put your damn tray back where it belongs, it speeds up security. And still, most of the flyers don't do it.
Last time, when I saw a guy (around my age range, I didn't want to be unpolite with older folks), who left his tray there, I just kindly asked him: "excuse me sir, is this your first time ever flying?"
(it was a priority lane for business class and status passengers, so obviously he was flying regurarly)
So he replied with pride and confidence: "Ehh, no, I fly intercontinental at least twice a month"
I replied "Then why do you leave your trays behind, slowing down security screenings?"
He got the point, smiled at me, and collected his trays.
Let me know if I was an ....... here, the whole conversation had some humour within it, I also was quite silent, so I didn't humiliate him in front of other passengers.

It really drives me crazy that at many airports the bottleneck is actually the lack of tray-collecting. If everyone would do it, time could be reduced by 10-15%.

What do you guys think?
I generally gather my (and other nearby) empty trays, but don’t need you or anyone else to tell me what to do. I’d be likely to ignore you and walk away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.