Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA screening system in development "sees" too much

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA screening system in development "sees" too much

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:49 pm

If it gets me through security faster and does not pose an increased risk of cancer, I am all for it. Not sure why everyone is so hung up about this issue. There will be millions of people passing through; if you are so 'special' that they take notice, consider it a blessing and move on with your life. The level of prudity in the USA is absolutely astounding, but then again, that why we were run out of Europe in the first place. Technically, the TSA already has the right to perform a strip search on any one at any time as it is.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by downinit
If it gets me through security faster and does not pose an increased risk of cancer, I am all for it. Not sure why everyone is so hung up about this issue. There will be millions of people passing through; if you are so 'special' that they take notice, consider it a blessing and move on with your life. The level of prudity in the USA is absolutely astounding, but then again, that why we were run out of Europe in the first place. Technically, the TSA already has the right to perform a strip search on any one at any time as it is.

Where did you come up with the idea that "the TSA has the right to perform a strip search on any one at any time"? It sounds more like the wishful thinking of some than reality as it is for the flying public.
Spiff, 84fiero and petaluma1 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta, United
If it gets me through security faster and does not pose an increased risk of cancer, I am all for it. Not sure why everyone is so hung up about this issue. There will be millions of people passing through; if you are so 'special' that they take notice, consider it a blessing and move on with your life. The level of prudity [sic] in the USA is absolutely astounding, but then again, that why we were run out of Europe in the first place. Technically, the TSA already has the right to perform a strip search on any one at any time as it is.
While I will admit the US has a problem with nudity (but not violence) the reason many are hung up on it is because there is 200+ year old piece of parchment paper that says "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, ..." Wholesale peeping under the people's clothing does nothing to make people secure in their persons. Further, those who say anything for security are, in general, foolish to think that the current measures are anything but secure.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:05 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Technically, the TSA already has the right to perform a strip search on any one at any time as it is.
Technically, the TSA is part of the United States Government. The United States is a federalist republic. The TSA does not have rights as the United States Government does not have rights. People have rights and States have rights. The United States has powers and only those powers delegated to it by the constitution. Performing a strip search on anyone at any time is not one such power.
Spiff, GUWonder, lupine and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Ari
Technically, the TSA is part of the United States Government. The United States is a federalist republic. The TSA does not have rights as the United States Government does not have rights. People have rights and States have rights. The United States has powers and only those powers delegated to it by the constitution. Performing a strip search on anyone at any time is not one such power.
good luck fighting your position. Having said that this new technology and what is being written about it is pure BS. It will be dumbed down as needed. Then again If you polled the families of the 9/11 planes they would gladly tell you they would rather have some odd pictures out there I return for their lost ones.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr

good luck fighting your position. Having said that this new technology and what is being written about it is pure BS. It will be dumbed down as needed. Then again If you polled the families of the 9/11 planes they would gladly tell you they would rather have some odd pictures out there I return for their lost ones.

These machines would not have prevented 9/11 since the terrorist carried no prohibited items.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Collierkr
What makes anyone think that airport security screeners seeing people's "junk" in 2019 or in future years would have saved or returned the lives of people killed on 9/11? The 9/11 hijackers could have commandeered the planes on 9/11 even if the airport security screeners were to have them strip-searched for the purpose of finding prohibited items at the time.

WTMD and ETD of passengers, flight crew and airport ground workers is more than sufficient to secure flights to a reasonable extent -- all without buying more, new expensive junk and without doing de facto, remote strip-searching of the flying public, flight crew members and airport ground workers.
Spiff, Boggie Dog, 84fiero and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once these are installed, I'll consider wearing a "prosthetic" just to see who's paying attention to what.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rickg523
Once these are installed, I'll consider wearing a "prosthetic" just to see who's paying attention to what.
Those people who use the under-the-shirt/blouse passport/money holders may be in for some not-so-fun "fun and games".
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:01 pm

So what would this machine find that wasn't found on 9/11?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Is that you Derek?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Cash and other stashes in bras? Sanitary napkins in panties?
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
That pistol in your pocket, sailor.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Is that you Derek?
I've got to ask who's Derek?
I was thinking more of Dirk Diggler. Or to be specific, the Dirk Diggler
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:44 pm

I'm confused. If we now (post 9/11) lock the cockpits with a deadbolt and the passengers know to physically attack any hijackers, why do we need this?
Sounds like a billion dollar boondoggle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.