Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random screening of my phone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
There's a general rule that all electronics must be able to be powered on when boarding US bound flights. It's implausible that someone would not have a phone in this day and age, they'd probably search you more rigorously to ensure there is no electronic device
I don't have an international data plan. It's very plausible I'd just buy a dumb phone on arrival + local SIM rather than carry around my expensive phone on vacation
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by petaluma1
No, it's not.
When I see villagers around here who don't own shoes but have a cell phone - maybe the word implausible is not quite correct, but I think the argument can easily be made that it's quite unusual in 2019 to not have a cell phone.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
When I see villagers around here who don't own shoes but have a cell phone - maybe the word implausible is not quite correct, but I think the argument can easily be made that it's quite unusual in 2019 to not have a cell phone.
Indeed. I know people who said they are encountering school books for 2nd and 3rd graders that seem premised on the idea of such young kids having a cell phone of their own. Even in countries that aren’t high income countries, thanks to Chinese phones. So giving the answer of “no cellphone” may result in more problems from the security crowd that believe “concealment” is a problem even when it involves nothing that is generally considered materially dangerous to the flight.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 25, 2019 at 7:25 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 5 when posting in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:
Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
This thread is about random selections for a closer inspections of cellphones.

While some natural deviation from the topic of the thread is perfectly fine, please make sure to keep your comments at least somewhat relevant to the subject matter of the thread and forum in which you are posting.

This is the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum, the place "to discuss security policies – what they are and what they should be." Whether is is unusual for people not have cellphones nowadays and how common it is for second and third graders to have their own cellphones have nothing to do with travel safety or security; those are possible topics for discussion in the OMNI forums (access to OMNI is limited to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and who have posted 180 contributive messages).

Future off-topic messages will be summarily deleted. Repeat offenders will be subject to discipline as set forth in FlyerTalk Rule 23.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Ok, fine. Random selection for supplemental screening of a phone it is.

My child was randomly selected for this earlier this week -- from the Precheck line.

After the TSA screener tells me what she's doing, I look at her and say, "There is no cell phone."

She looks puzzled for a moment, recovers, and then says brightly, "Well, then we have to check a parent's bag." That's right, bag not phone.

"Which one of us?" I ask.

"Either," she answers. For a moment I'm completely taken aback. What kind of "security procedure" is that? If we were up to no good, I'd just tell her to check whichever one of us wasn't the "mule," i.e., the one not carrying the bad stuff. (Based on all the movies I've watched, I think standard practice is to have one's girl friend or wife be the mule.)

Anyway, by profession I'm someone who has to think very fast and very accurately even (or especially) in pressure-packed situations. So I knew exactly what to do next. I immediately point at my wife and say, "Go bother her, then." Well, that's not exactly what I said, but pretty close. I turned my back on her and walked away.

Unlike me, my wife was able to take all this with a straight face and was through in no time.

Still, there's karma. I was stopped before leaving security by another agent who told me that there was an actual problem with my bag, which then had to be hand searched. The problem? A book! Yeah, sure, I know. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. To be fair, though, the book was 1852 pages long. Maybe there's a page limit? Or an informal ban against French literature?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You may want to take a look at the following threads:
Old Jul 21, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I don't have a cell phone. Can afford one. Can see, read, hear, poke screen and tote one. Chose not to have one. Manage quite nicely without.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FallenPlat

My child was randomly selected for this earlier this week -- from the Precheck line.

After the TSA screener tells me what she's doing, I look at her and say, "There is no cell phone."

She looks puzzled for a moment, recovers, and then says brightly, "Well, then we have to check a parent's bag." That's right, bag not phone.

"Either," she answers. For a moment I'm completely taken aback. What kind of "security procedure" is that? If we were up to no good, I'd just tell her to check whichever one of us wasn't the "mule," i.e., the one not carrying the bad stuff. (Based on all the movies I've watched, I think standard practice is to have one's girl friend or wife be the mule.)
Yeah, the notion of simply checking a bag in such situations is nonsense.

Still, there's karma. I was stopped before leaving security by another agent who told me that there was an actual problem with my bag, which then had to be hand searched. The problem? A book! Yeah, sure, I know. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. To be fair, though, the book was 1852 pages long. Maybe there's a page limit? Or an informal ban against French literature?
A book? You're one of those creeps who learns and thinks for himself rather than simply doing what you're told. Of course you needed to be searched, you subversive! (Reality: A thick book like that simply shows up as a mass of organics, all but indistinguishable from a block of explosives.)
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:17 am
Suspended

Thick reading material doesn’t generally show up on the x-ray scans as looking potentially the same as food material or explosives. But thick reading material of sorts can make spots obscure or even opaque. There are some paper coatings that result in some compacted stacks of paper material being rather effective blockers to conceal items within or below the compacted stack when put inside a bag.
Often1 and Randyk47 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:52 am

Anyway, by profession I'm someone who has to think very fast and very accurately even (or especially) in pressure-packed situations. So I knew exactly what to do next. I immediately point at my wife and say, "Go bother her, then." Well, that's not exactly what I said, but pretty close. I turned my back on her and walked away.

Unlike me, my wife was able to take all this with a straight face and was through in no time.

You experience seems similar to 2 parents traveling with baby food that cannot be opened - grope one parent - your choice.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by petaluma1
You experience seems similar to 2 parents traveling with baby food that cannot be opened - grope one parent - your choice.
Exactly.

When a young relative of mine was flagged for a phone screening, the relative blurted our that there was a cell phone in possession even as there was not since it was walkie talkies in checked luggage. The parents picked which one of the two of them would be the fall guy for the extra check. The exact same kind of scenario as for when baby food/milk/formula was declared: pick who is going to get the extra search for it, in those cases a grope as the extra search beyond anything done to the baby food/milk/formula. I wonder what the TSA would say if some unconnected stranger offered to be the volunteer substitute for the extra searches for someone with whom they didn’t have any prior affiliation before arriving at the airport. Maybe it’s time for some more experiments this summer.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
All kidding aside, I'm still truly shocked at how the TSA lets lets the "suspects" choose which one of them gets to avoid the search. That can't possibly enhance security under any conceivable set of circumstances whatsoever. And, yes, the above comments on the book are all consistent with what the agent told me: it was a thick mass that didn't show up well on the machine and so had to be visually checked to confirm that it really was a book -- in a clear plastic bag, which the screener never even opened.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All kidding aside, I'm still truly shocked at how the TSA lets lets the "suspects" choose which one of them gets to avoid the search. That can't possibly enhance security under any conceivable set of circumstances whatsoever. And, yes, the above comments on the book are all consistent with what the agent told me: it was a thick mass that didn't show up well on the machine and so had to be visually checked to confirm that it really was a book -- in a clear plastic bag, which the screener never even opened.
When you realize that TSA is more show than go these types of things make good sense. TSA's refusal to address insider threats borders on criminal behavior in my opinion.
halls120 and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
(bolding mine)

It isn't meant to enhance security. It is a performance for the pax and an effort to keep screeners' minds on their jobs.

The problem is that the screeners don't really think there's a threat, so they don't take it seriously. They get bored and focus on catching all water bottles because that's easier than staying alert an looking for 'something' that might actually be a threat.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chollie

It isn't meant to enhance security. It is a performance for the pax and an effort to keep screeners' minds on their jobs.

The problem is that the screeners don't really think there's a threat, so they don't take it seriously. They get bored and focus on catching all water bottles because that's easier than staying alert an looking for 'something' that might actually be a threat.
When you get to a TSA Checkpoint, just this "Potemkin Village" and you'll be in the correct frame of mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.