Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Etiquette [Parents with Autistic Child]

Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Location: Never far from an international airport, unless I'm far from home
Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.

Just curious what everyone's take is on the following situation...
I was going through the PreCheck line (Terminal 6, 11AM, for a noon departure) at LAX.
Ahead of the traveler in front of me were parents with a child (appearing to be in his late teens) on the autism spectrum, with sensory issues.
They (not so discreetly) explained their situation to the traveler in front of me, as well as why they were all in the PreCheck lane (in order to minimize any contact their son would have with screeners, due to sensory issues).
The family proceeded through screening, treating it as if were any normal security lane - pulling out medicines, and liquids, taking multiple bins in the process.
While the amount of time they took would have been considered terrific if they were going through a regular screening lane, it was an eternity in Pre.
The traveler in front of me seemed a bit frustrated but didn't say anything.
I didn't say anything either, as I was on leisure travel, and not in any particular rush.
I'm just curious as to how you all think everything was handled.
Do you think the parents should have done things any differently (i.e. - offering to step aside for those behind them - it was considerate that they explained why they were slower).
Do you think they improperly used the PreCheck lanes?
It wasn't a terribly busy afternoon (by LAX standards), but had it been, I think a lot more people would have been frustrated.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Last Row Middle Seat
The family proceeded through screening, treating it as if were any normal security lane - pulling out medicines, and liquids, taking multiple bins in the process.
While the amount of time they took would have been considered terrific if they were going through a regular screening lane, it was an eternity in Pre.
It wasn't a terribly busy afternoon (by LAX standards), but had it been, I think a lot more people would have been frustrated.
Does "etiquette" now mean "how I think people should behave"?

How many extra seconds did you have to wait? Did you miss your flight? Not have a second to spare to consider how challenging travel for someone on the autism spectrum can be? They were courteous enough to explain the situation to those around them, it was by your statement a relatively non-busy time, which I suspect they chose on purpose. Your moment of frustration is nothing compared to the challenges they face non-stop.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Waiting behind "deer in the headlights" I don't know what to do in the Precheck line, which I experience about half the time, where one item at a time comes out or off, the phone, the belt, the heavy pen in the pocket ... much worse than your eternity that lasted a lot less time than you imagined it.

If they offered to step aside for everyone that might be arriving, they'd never make it through.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Etiquette? Seriously?

If each member of the family in question is entitled to use Pre-Check, then they are entitled to use Pre-Check.

Would it have been more helpful if they had familiarized themselves with the less stringent rules for the checkpoint applicable to Pre-Check, e.g., 3-1-1 baggie, laptop, shoes, and jacket? Yes.

Is there necessarily a linkage between their son's autism and their lack of familiarity with the process? No.

Is this seriously worth worrying about? [ INSERT COMMON SENSE ANSWER}.
maewest likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
I think we need to cut this family some slack. As a society we need to be willing to accommodate people with genuine needs like this. On the other hand, I have no patience with those who travel with too much luggage, those who think they're taking a stroll in the park and those who insist on taking pet rabbits & peacocks to allegedly alleviate travel anxiety.

The equivalent of this is when I encounter bad drivers on the road, I get mad at them unless the driver is a senior citizen (in a car-centric culture we give them no choice but to drive) or has an otherwise visible reason to be distracted/slow/etc.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Location: Never far from an international airport, unless I'm far from home
Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Does "etiquette" now mean "how I think people should behave"?

How many extra seconds did you have to wait? Did you miss your flight? Not have a second to spare to consider how challenging travel for someone on the autism spectrum can be? They were courteous enough to explain the situation to those around them, it was by your statement a relatively non-busy time, which I suspect they chose on purpose. Your moment of frustration is nothing compared to the challenges they face non-stop.
It actually wasn't any issue for me, and I did sympathize (I've friends in similar situations, and understand how difficult it can be). The family took about 10-15 minutes (which, depending on circumstance, can feel like an eternity). The traveler in front of me seemed was the one who seemed to be frustrated. You're right though, they did seem to do as much as they could to take others into consideration.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
It actually wasn't any issue for me, and I did sympathize (I've friends in similar situations, and understand how difficult it can be). The family took about 10-15 minutes (which, depending on circumstance, can feel like an eternity). The traveler in front of me seemed was the one who seemed to be frustrated. You're right though, they did seem to do as much as they could to take others into consideration.
10-15 minutes for one family to go through would be an eternity in the regular line as well. If they're going to take that long to get everything set up you'd think they'd step to the side after the ID check while they got things in order and then get back in to the queue once they had everything ready to push through the X-ray. If they were blocking other Pre-check passengers from going through the line while they did their thing then I'd say you're in the right to be annoyed. Being respectful of someone's need for an accommodation is important, but that doesn't mean you can't be annoyed that they don't make a small step to minimize the impact.
KRSW, wrp96, snidely and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you mean to say that with all the TSO's yelling "Shoes off! Belts off!" not one was in the Pre line yelling at them that they didn't need to do all that?
KRSW, polinka and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
It is horribly annoying that those with PreCheck don't understand. Before I even enter the security line, I have my stuff in order. I empathize with the family in question, but that doesn't excuse the lack of knowledge of what is permitted or not, and not properly preparing.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Where is all this coming from about the family being unfamiliar with the PreCheck screening process? There was no mention of them taking out laptops, taking off shoes/light jackets/belts, etc. in the OP. The only thing the OP mentioned is that they pulled out liquids/medications which - depending on how much they actually had - could be entirely appropriate, even in the PreCheck line,.

Also, I am guessing that the entire thing did not really take 15 minutes. Maybe from the time OP entered the line and passed through security, but I seriously doubt the exercise of removing items, placing in bins / on conveyor belt, and passing through WTMD took anywhere close to that long.

As for etiquette, perhaps they could have told people behind them to go ahead while they prepared their items, or the people behind them could've asked if they could just jump ahead (which I've done). Regardless, neither of those things happened.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that it took 15 minutes. Or if it did, there was some other problem. People who are stressed tend to have exaggerated impressions of how long things take.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:11 pm

I think it is okay if you want to help them by telling them that they could keep shoes and jacket on and laptop in bag. I remember the first time I had TSA Pre on my ticket it was from one of those random selected thing years ago. I didn't know all the rules...didn't even know I had it until the agent told me to go to the TSA Pre line. I started to do all the taking off jacket, shoes stuff but another person in line nicely told me that I don't have to in this line.
KRSW and Gringa like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:34 pm

Consider me skeptical on that 10-15 minutes. I have traveled many times with a special needs companion who was reliant on a liquid medication that always gave the TSA fits. The only thing that ever took more than 5 minutes once we reached the belt was waiting for someone to do a pat-down which somehow makes the liquid medication magically safe for flying.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I'd let it go. The family has it hard enough and no harm was done. Good on you to be patient. Depending on the child it could potentially be much worse if they went in the regular line, much more crowded and a lot of turning.
closecover likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I would've done what I usually do when someone who doesn't understand Pre-Check is in front of me, cut in front of them with my one bag, shove it into the scanner, walk through the metal detector, and walk to my gate before they even are completely done unpacking.
stormlover likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.