Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ACLU files suit on behalf of Apple employee for not giving access to phone/laptop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACLU files suit on behalf of Apple employee for not giving access to phone/laptop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by drewguy
The markers that generate a non-random SSSS could also generate additional screening at the back end, although of course SSSS is just about a search at the departure airport.

I think CBP is much less interested in the physical form of the phone once you're off the plane than it is the contents/cloud materials. From a counterterrorism perspective, a phone containing instructions/information about 'what to do next" would be fairly appealing.
True, but data in the 'cloud' is not physically on my person at the border. To me, CBP using my device to gain access to my cloud account is no different than CBP confiscating my key ring and then using my keys to enter and search my house.
estnet likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
This is the first published incident I recall where a US citizen actually stood his ground and refused to unlock the device in spite of the threats (and the case isn't otherwise polluted by the traveler already confessing that there is contraband on the device, previously providing the code, etc.) That makes in an interesting case to analyze and potentially an interesting case if the ACLU can do something with it. The other cases I recall, including the Stockton mayor (2015) and Sidd Bikkannavar (2017), unlocked their devices and later said they were "forced" to do so.

Was Andreas Gal subject to lesser intimidation than the other cases, or did he just manage to resist the interrogation/threats long enough that CBP gave up? (I personally think it should be a criminal offense for LEOs to lie to suspects about if a specific action is a crime.)

Even if no legal action goes anywhere (I'm confident CBP will find a way to say that Global Entry is a completely revocable privilege for any arbitrary reason or non-reason), any publicity this case gets damages the ability of CBP intimidate US citizens into unlocking devices.
Spiff, estnet and 84fiero like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TWA884
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Dr. Gal suspects that it was retaliatory.
He got what he is deserved. In accordance to 8 CFR §235.12(b)(2):

An individual is ineligible to participate in Global Entry if CBP, at its sole discretion, determines that the individual presents a potential risk for terrorism, criminality (such as smuggling), or is otherwise not a low-risk traveler. This risk determination will be based in part upon an applicant's ability to demonstrate past compliance with laws, regulations, and policies. Reasons why an applicant may not qualify for participation include:
So even the action might look retaliatory, the fact that he refused the search (even the search was considered illegal) could constitute a ground for revocation.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Dr. Gal suspects that it was retaliatory.
Originally Posted by garykung
He got what he is deserved. In accordance to 8 CFR §235.12(b)(2): ... So even the action might look retaliatory, ...
I think you may be confusing TWA884's "retaliatory" (of his SSSS being a retaliation due to him being outspoken about the current Administration) with the actions of CBP being "retaliatory" about removing his GE privileges.
TWA884 and NPF like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He got what he is deserved. In accordance to 8 CFR §235.12(b)(2):
What was expected, or what he deserved?

So even the action might look retaliatory, the fact that he refused the search (even the search was considered illegal) could constitute a ground for revocation.
The language you quote does not lead to the conclusion you draw.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I think you may be confusing TWA884's "retaliatory" (of his SSSS being a retaliation due to him being outspoken about the current Administration) with the actions of CBP being "retaliatory" about removing his GE privileges.
I may be. What I meant was the actions of CBP being "retaliatory" about removing his GE privileges.

Originally Posted by Ari
What was expected, or what he deserved?
GE revocation.

Originally Posted by Ari
The language you quote does not lead to the conclusion you draw.
It does not have to be - as always, CBP has its own discretion.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I may be. What I meant was the actions of CBP being "retaliatory" about removing his GE privileges.
Dr. Gal suspects that he was singled out for a search of his electronic devices and was subsequently detained in retaliation for his outspokenness.
Apple employee detained by US border agents over his iPhone and laptop speaks out

Gal charged that his stop by CBP agents may be because of his work at Mozilla and the company's views on opposing the government’s warrantless mass surveillance.

"In the past two years I've been very outspoken on the Trump administration's policies on social media, particularly with respect to Customs and Border Protection and immigration," said Gal.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dr. Gal suspects that he was singled out for a search of his electronic devices and was subsequently detained in retaliation for his outspokenness.
Wondering if Dr. Gal had any characteristics that was different than they crowd he was in? Did they stand out and making selection less than random?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Wondering if Dr. Gal had any characteristics that was different than they crowd he was in? Did they stand out and making selection less than random?
According to the photos in the linked ABC News article, he was arriving at SFO on an SAS flight from CPH and his appearance is that of average Caucasian male.
Attached Images   
aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:32 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They also retaliated against him by revoking his GE privileges. There was no need to do that other than to harass and intimidate.

GE revocation.
You didn't answer my question. Did he deserve GE revocation in your view, or was that simply the expected result of his actions.

It does not have to be - as always, CBP has its own discretion.
They have to follow the CFR. The CFR gives them discretion to act within the CFR. They cannot act in an arbitrary and capricious manner.
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by chollie
True, but data in the 'cloud' is not physically on my person at the border. To me, CBP using my device to gain access to my cloud account is no different than CBP confiscating my key ring and then using my keys to enter and search my house.
It would be a more compelling analogy if those keys to the house allowed the agents to teleport into it from the interrogation room.

With your phone you have immediate access to the contents of the device and what is directly accessible via cloud. Now, if there were separate password protection for that (i.e., you unlock phone but refuse to enter gmail password) I can see how it gets harder to justify further search.

More generally, I'm not sure physical analogies always helpful to digital matters.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I don't see how refusing to comply with an illegal search would "demonstrate past compliance with laws, regulations, and policies" or, really, a lack of compliance. If anything refusing an unlawful order suggests compliance, not non-compliance, with laws.

Put differently, I think CBP would have a hard time justifying the following: "We revoked his GE privileges because he refused to comply with our unlawful request/demand."
84fiero likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I thought the law allowed them to confiscate the device if you didn't unlock.

Or maybe even deny you entry/re-entry to the country?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by drewguy
I don't see how refusing to comply with an illegal search would "demonstrate past compliance with laws, regulations, and policies" or, really, a lack of compliance. If anything refusing an unlawful order suggests compliance, not non-compliance, with laws.
From the complaint:
Critically, Dr. Gal never refused to provide the passcodes to access the electronic devices in his possession, he only asked that he be allowed to consult with an attorney to ensure that he would not violate non-disclosure agreements with his employer. In the interactions with CBP officers, Dr. Gal repeated many times that he would comply with any legal requirement, but that he needed to consult with an attorney to understand his rights before he could do so.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So demand to consult with an attorney before unlocking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.