Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Resurrected: Young boy being groped over computer left in bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

I can't find the original thread, but perhaps some will find these tweets interesting:

and

and

Last edited by petaluma1; Mar 20, 2019 at 6:37 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Between the media's bias toward the exact opposite of what the individuals in these tweets have to say and their standard "TSA apologist" role, if these tweets go viral in someway I expect an onslaught of "Anything For Security"™ propaganda is in our future...
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to wonder exactly what alarmed and on what machine or if he was selected for additional screening for no reason.

I think this video tells us everything that TSA keeps silent on. It was excessive and there are other ways to screen the kid for WEI.
Spiff and polinka like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I have to wonder exactly what alarmed and on what machine or if he was selected for additional screening for no reason.

I think this video tells us everything that TSA keeps silent on. It was excessive and there are other ways to screen the kid for WEI.
Apparently, the boy neglected to remove his laptop from his carry-on and so triggered this excessive pat down, which seems to be more of a punishment than an actual search for contraband.

As a reminder, TSA asked his mother to work with them to improve screening of people with disabilities, which she did. The result?

"She says during their 'dialogue for change' she asked something. They went silent. "We are positive they pacified us in order to try to get the media flurry to calm."

SOP for TSA.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfunk138
Between the media's bias toward the exact opposite of what the individuals in these tweets have to say and their standard "TSA apologist" role, if these tweets go viral in someway I expect an onslaught of "Anything For Security"™ propaganda is in our future...
This replay hseems to have gone viral already. Nielsen and Pekoske need to pay a visit to trump, et als, and explain that this sort of thing happens every day in airports all across the country.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...40tsa&src=typd
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
This replay hseems to have gone viral already. Nielsen and Pekoske need to pay a visit to trump, et als, and explain that this sort of thing happens every day in airports all across the country.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...40tsa&src=typd
Nielsen and Pekoske as Secretary of DHS and Administrator of TSA have the power in their hands to stop this type of screening. But I think we all know they won't do anything but double down.
Spiff, Loren Pechtel and flatdawgs like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
TSA apologists in the media are at it already. Trying to paint "old news" as "fake news" and blaming the messengers for this video...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.f3437e88eecf
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I can't find the original thread, but perhaps some will find these tweets interesting:
This young man's TSA ordeal was originally discussed in the now closed TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs thread.

Please let's try to keep the postings in this thread in compliance with the FlyerTalk Rules.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 20, 2019 at 1:32 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The young guy got a pat down because he left his computer in his carry-on bag instead of removing it. I don't know his reasoning capability or ability to follow instructions although he appears aware in the video. Regardless, I do not see how a pat down mitigates the computer in the bag issue. Seems the more correct path would have been a close inspection of the carry-on bag. The demonstration by TSA seems to be a demonstration of screener power and retaliatory abuse.
Spiff, Exec_Plat, polinka and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The young guy got a pat down because he left his computer in his carry-on bag instead of removing it. I don't know his reasoning capability or ability to follow instructions although he appears aware in the video.
Seems like a gratuitous slam.
People of all ages make mistakes like this every day in every security line at every airport in the country. I've done it. Didn't get felt up because of it. I've worn trousers with an internal zipper in the front right pocket which registered and still didn't result in more than the most cursory frisk.
I don't know if that TSO is on it, but if I lived around that guy, I'd treat him as if he was on the Registry. (I know, this seems like a gratuitous slam . But that guy deserves it, imo).
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rickg523
People of all ages make mistakes like this every day in every security line at every airport in the country. I've done it. Didn't get felt up because of it. I've worn trousers with an internal zipper in the front right pocket which registered and still didn't result in more than the most cursory frisk.
I don't know if that TSO is on it, but if I lived around that guy, I'd treat him as if he was on the Registry. (I know, this seems like a gratuitous slam . But that guy deserves it, imo).
The young man being screened reportedly had some types of issues according to his mother and that is who I was questioning regarding reasoning/understanding ability. He may not have understood everything that was happening or how the screening process worked. Even at that, a pat down does not mitigate a computer in a bag issue.

I was not suggesting that the screener had any deficiencies of understanding.
rickg523 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The young man being screened reportedly had some types of issues according to his mother and that is who I was questioning regarding reasoning/understanding ability. He may not have understood everything that was happening or how the screening process worked. Even at that, a pat down does not mitigate a computer in a bag issue.

I was not suggesting that the screener had any deficiencies of understanding.
Sorry, I didn't scan that you were addressing a stated possible cognitive issue.
I think we both agree that the TSA reaction was not only egregious, it was also entirely misdirected. To the point that it can only certainly look like the TSO wanted to feel the boy up, and any excuse would suffice to initiate a patdown.

Last edited by rickg523; Mar 20, 2019 at 1:13 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
As awful as this "pat down" is, it was the screener's female supervisor who kept telling him to go back and do it again. I put the most blame on her and feel she did so deliberately to aggravate the child's mother.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As awful as this "pat down" is, it was the screener's female supervisor who kept telling him to go back and do it again. I put the most blame on her and feel she did so deliberately to aggravate the child's mother.
I didn't catch that in the video, but after reading the Twitter thread I can believe it.
(OT - I'm not sure what the tin foil hat brigade thinks the "Deep State" is, but I'm certainly not convinced that creepy TSO's are it.)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: TSA
Apparently, the boy neglected to remove his laptop from his carry-on and so triggered this excessive pat down, which seems to be more of a punishment than an actual search for contraband.

As a reminder, TSA asked his mother to work with them to improve screening of people with disabilities, which she did. The result?

"She says during their 'dialogue for change' she asked something. They went silent. "We are positive they pacified us in order to try to get the media flurry to calm."

SOP for TSA.
The pat down was not because the passenger left their laptop in a bag, it was because during the course of screening, the laptop alarmed.

In many cases, when TSA works with passengers to try and affect change, they reach a point where they can no longer disclose the steps involved, and the passenger gets frustrated (which is understandable). TSA has to walk a tightrope when engaging special interest groups, or individual passengers, because they can not reciprocate information like many other companies can. We are constantly getting classes on working with passengers that have challenges (large and small). The things we get from these passengers, is incorporated into that training to help communicate to the workforce how to better assist those passengers, and passengers at large.

The young guy got a pat down because he left his computer in his carry-on bag instead of removing it. I don't know his reasoning capability or ability to follow instructions although he appears aware in the video. Regardless, I do not see how a pat down mitigates the computer in the bag issue. Seems the more correct path would have been a close inspection of the carry-on bag. The demonstration by TSA seems to be a demonstration of screener power and retaliatory abuse.
The pat-down was a result of the laptop alarming, not the fact that it was left in the bag. TSA has a standardized response to alarms, and they *should* follow that process every single time.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 21, 2019 at 8:44 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; Please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.