Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Emotional support animal’ mauls 5-year-old girl

Emotional support animal’ mauls 5-year-old girl

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Here we go again with the "emotional support whatever" I feel so sorry for the young 5 year old girl, there is no way to see the impact it may have on her during her life
so this is a simple solution: if you are need of "emotional support" then go private.. sorry you dont need to cause harm to someone else.
sorry but I have very strong feelings on this..
König likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope they're also suing the owner of the animal and not just the airport, which of course would probably have bigger pockets.

Did anyone notice that the linked story said that the dog's owner took a later flight that day without the ESA, so presumably the passenger was able to travel without whatever emotional support the pit bull gave. Moreover, there's mention of a generic letter from a therapist claiming a need for an animal, but not even specifying a dog. To me, this case screams fake ESA with (fake) documentation purchased from a website.
Agreed
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:23 am

I'm also one who believes only properly trained service animals such as seeing eye dogs should be allowed on flights with leashes.

I was at YVR a month ago and watched a girl board a flight to SEA with with two small dogs on leashes. They looked like regular pets. I did not know you could take more than one dog per person.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I also would like muzzle on some passengers who incessantly talk on the cell phone! I am glad they don't bite! They give me little emotional support.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gynob001
I also would like muzzle on some passengers who incessantly talk on the cell phone! I am glad they don't bite! They give me little emotional support.
I'd be more afraid of the actions of most people than most dogs.

I have no issue with true Service Dogs/Animals. ESA are a whole different deal and need strict controls.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Feb 28, 2019 at 4:47 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I feel it is time for some type of regulation on what an emotional support animal is, that dogs be crated, and required to be muzzled when out of the crate. I would suggest muzzles for service dogs also. Am I out of line?
IMO, yes - especially in regards to service dogs. Muzzles aren't going to solve the situation. A vicious dog in a muzzle and do a lot of damage as well.
I'd be more afraid of the actions of most people than most dogs.
And here's the real reason these incidents happen. Much easier to train dogs than people.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Muzzles would absolutely drastically reduce the chance of this happening.

i would just say all emotional support animals need to be in a carrier on planes and in airport. (Exception being pet relief area)

southwest seems to have adopted this rule starting about a year ago. It prevents people from claiming that an 80lb untrained mutt is providing a service.

also I’m a big fan of delta not allowing pit bulls as esa’s.

I have a registered esa that stays in the kennel under the seat since the southwest change. If I get in my seat before my seat mate. 10/10 times they don’t realize I have a dog until we land and I put him in my lap.

All comments referring to esa’s only. I would never suggest a service animal be muzzled or kenneled.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
5-year-old girl mauled in the face by a pit bull

This story is pretty sad and struck a chord with me. I was at FLL last Saturday and noted numerous dogs on leash in the terminal, not working dogs, even a large Golden Retriever. I feel it is time for some type of regulation on what an emotional support animal is, that dogs be crated, and required to be muzzled when out of the crate. I would suggest muzzles for service dogs also. Am I out of line?
I don't think you're out of line, though I would say that trained service animals don't need muzzles. Because they're trained to behave, and they do.

Originally Posted by chollie
Then it's high time the airlines are allowed to ask pax to either provide documentation that their animal is a true, trained service animal or they will be required to have the animal caged or muzzled at all times.
The ACAA does allow airlines to ask for such documentation:
(d) As evidence that an animal is a service animal, you must accept identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags, or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.

ADA does not:
When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

However, ADA strictly defines what qualifies as a service animal, and specifically disqualifies emotional support animals from this definition:
Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Originally Posted by onlyairfare
I feel that if a person is so unstable that they are unable to travel without an emotional support animal, they probably should not be traveling by commercial air.

I suspect that many of these individuals are simply too cheap to pay the fee to bring their pet with them.
I suspect you're correct, however I would also say that the need for an ESA does not necessarily mean that a person is 'unstable'; ESAs can be legitimately used to combat phobias. I like to think of them as living security blankets.

The problem is that just because someone has a legitimate need for such an animal does not mean that the animal itself is properly trained to behave in public situations like a shopping mall, airport, or airplane cabin.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
There should be no issue with providing documentation with a trained service animal. In fact, I suspect that anyone who has such an animal already probably has a wallet-sized card to prove such.

As for "emotional support" animals, almost any Tom, Dick or Petaluma1 can qualify for such an animal. In fact, there are sites that will send you, in 24 hours, documentation stating your rat is an "emotional support" animal.

The only people I can understand needing emotional support animals are those, especially veterans, who suffer from PTSD.

All that said, it's such a shame that this dog happened to be a pit bull. 90% of the pitties that I know are sweet, loving, playful dogs. I'd trust them anytime over the 5 lb. vicious critter that lives next door.

We know from the article that the child asked and was given permission to pet the dog. What we don't know, however, is how the child went about doing so - which is why I never let children pat any of my animals. Even my grandchildren were given instructions in how to approach my beloved Rhodesian and couldn't touch him without supervision until I was comfortable that they knew how to do it.
Maybe, maybe not. It's my understanding that there is no government certification, at least not at the federal level, for either service animals or those who train them, which means that the best documentation that most SA's will have is a diploma from their training academy. That is something I'd like to see fixed in ADA.

ACAA does put forth some strict documentation requirements, however, and specifically prohibits rodents as ESAs:
(e) If a passenger seeks to travel with an animal that is used as an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you are not required to accept the animal for transportation in the cabin unless the passenger provides you current documentation (i.e., no older than one year from the date of the passenger's scheduled initial flight) on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g., psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger's mental or emotional disability) stating the following:
(1) The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM IV);
(2) The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination;
(3) The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care; and
(4) The date and type of the mental health professional's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.
(f) You are never required to accommodate certain unusual service animals (e.g., snakes, other reptiles, ferrets, rodents, and spiders) as service animals in the cabin.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The American with Disabilities Act (ADA) does NOT require the acceptance of, or accomodation for, emotional support animals (ESA). The ADA, however, does not apply to air travel.

The Air Carrier Access Air (ACAA) DOES require the acceptance of ESAs with a few restrictions. You can read the applicable sections of the act in 14 CFR 382.117/.

US Airlines are generally somewhat less restrictive than the ACAA requires but they have been tightening up their requirements recently as the number of ESAs have grown. A concerned flyer can contact their airline(s) and encourage them to enforce the allowable restrictions under the ACAA.

The ACAA is a DoT regulation. Those who believe the ACAA to be too lenient can contact the DoT with their comments as well as their national representatives. Both the DoT and Congress have the power to amend the ACAA with additional restrictions.
I'd like to see the definition of service animal extended to ESAs - but ONLY to animals who have received the same extensive behavioral training as any other SA. I'd like to see some sort of certification of those animals and their training by a government agency. And I'd like to see a requirement that the certification be displayed on the animal's collar, vest, or leash at all times when it's working in a public place.

If an animal has such a certification, displayed properly, then boom! Problem solved. No more people faking to get their pets on the plane for free, no more ESA's making noise or dropping bombs, no more untrained animals injuring other travelers.

Beyond that, I respect the privacy rights of those who are afflicted with either a physical or emotional condition that requires them to have one. All I'm concerned with is that the ANIMAL be properly trained to behave in public, whether it's a seeing eye dog or a living woobie. WHY someone needs an animal is none of our business, but whether the animal is safe in a social setting IS the business of anyone who may encounter the animal without their consent.

Originally Posted by fotographer
Here we go again with the "emotional support whatever" I feel so sorry for the young 5 year old girl, there is no way to see the impact it may have on her during her life
so this is a simple solution: if you are need of "emotional support" then go private.. sorry you dont need to cause harm to someone else.
Sorry, but I don't agree with you. People with emotional problems should not be denied their rights, except in cases where they pose a danger to themselves or others.

Untrained ESAs obviously present a danger to others, and as such should be mandated to receive the same training as an SA. But if the ESAs were trained to be as safe and well-behaved as SAs, then by all means they should be allowed to go where SAs are allowed to go. That isn't the case now, so I'd love to see the ACAA and ADA changed to require training and certification of both SAs and ESAs.
flatdawgs, strickerj and DrAlex like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Also I will say all airlines are cracking down on documentation. Couple years ago I didn’t even bother calling ahead and would just board with the dog in carrier. Most of the time no one even noticed him. If flight attendant noticed him while boarding I’d show the letter, vaccination log, etc and was all good. Now I have submitted all the docs to the airlines in advance and declare him on phone and at gate on every flight.

Basically all all you need is a letter from a registered therapist with a few key points.

all of the I’d badges, vests , and other stuff is completely unnecessary and does a disservice to true service animals by confusing the public.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
What's missing in this report is the breed of dog in question. Another report I've read says the emotional support dog was a pit bull. What kind of emotion does that kind of animal support.....anger?

I have no issues with service animals that are legitimately needed by people with certified PHYSICAL disabilities. Those animals are great and life enriching. Plus, they are extensively trained in dealing with day to day situations. Let those animals on the plane, by all means.

However, emotional support animals are not extensively trained and are going to react to situations in the real world much differently. This is, unfortunately, a case in point. I don't think any emotional support animals should be allowed on flights. If someone needs their pet cockatoo to go to the grocery store, tough. The big issue is that businesses have reached a point where they're scared to follow the rules and regulations that they establish for fear of someone, anyone, getting upset.

If someone needs to take their animal on a flight, let them get a certification from a licensed medical professional, that states the nature of the disability and the service that the animal provides. If that service falls under the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act (and yes, I'm being US-centric on this post because I don't believe for a second that this is a huge issue outside the US), then let the animal fly as a service animal. If it's some kind of emotional need, the animal can fly, but needs to be handled in the manner that the airline prescribes for the transportation of pets.
fotographer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I don't think you're out of line, though I would say that trained service animals don't need muzzles. Because they're trained to behave, and they do.

The ACAA does allow airlines to ask for such documentation:
(d) As evidence that an animal is a service animal, you must accept identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags, or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.

ADA does not:
When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

However, ADA strictly defines what qualifies as a service animal, and specifically disqualifies emotional support animals from this definition:
Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

I suspect you're correct, however I would also say that the need for an ESA does not necessarily mean that a person is 'unstable'; ESAs can be legitimately used to combat phobias. I like to think of them as living security blankets.

The problem is that just because someone has a legitimate need for such an animal does not mean that the animal itself is properly trained to behave in public situations like a shopping mall, airport, or airplane cabin.

Maybe, maybe not. It's my understanding that there is no government certification, at least not at the federal level, for either service animals or those who train them, which means that the best documentation that most SA's will have is a diploma from their training academy. That is something I'd like to see fixed in ADA.

ACAA does put forth some strict documentation requirements, however, and specifically prohibits rodents as ESAs:
(e) If a passenger seeks to travel with an animal that is used as an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you are not required to accept the animal for transportation in the cabin unless the passenger provides you current documentation (i.e., no older than one year from the date of the passenger's scheduled initial flight) on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g., psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger's mental or emotional disability) stating the following:
(1) The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM IV);
(2) The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination;
(3) The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care; and
(4) The date and type of the mental health professional's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.
(f) You are never required to accommodate certain unusual service animals (e.g., snakes, other reptiles, ferrets, rodents, and spiders) as service animals in the cabin.

I'd like to see the definition of service animal extended to ESAs - but ONLY to animals who have received the same extensive behavioral training as any other SA. I'd like to see some sort of certification of those animals and their training by a government agency. And I'd like to see a requirement that the certification be displayed on the animal's collar, vest, or leash at all times when it's working in a public place.

If an animal has such a certification, displayed properly, then boom! Problem solved. No more people faking to get their pets on the plane for free, no more ESA's making noise or dropping bombs, no more untrained animals injuring other travelers.

Beyond that, I respect the privacy rights of those who are afflicted with either a physical or emotional condition that requires them to have one. All I'm concerned with is that the ANIMAL be properly trained to behave in public, whether it's a seeing eye dog or a living woobie. WHY someone needs an animal is none of our business, but whether the animal is safe in a social setting IS the business of anyone who may encounter the animal without their consent.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you. People with emotional problems should not be denied their rights, except in cases where they pose a danger to themselves or others.

Untrained ESAs obviously present a danger to others, and as such should be mandated to receive the same training as an SA. But if the ESAs were trained to be as safe and well-behaved as SAs, then by all means they should be allowed to go where SAs are allowed to go. That isn't the case now, so I'd love to see the ACAA and ADA changed to require training and certification of both SAs and ESAs.
There is some point where my rights should protect me from someones ESA. Their rights do not override mine. Using a muzzle on an ESA protects my rights without depriving the other person of their rights.
GUWonder, knwl9 and fotographer like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: AMEX Member Rewards
Originally Posted by fotographer
service animals are not the same thing as emotional support animals. Service animals are trained, registered and covered under the ADA. Anyone can call their animal an Emotional supplrt animal with minimal documentation or training. If one cant travel without an emotional support dog, they should not be flying commercial.
König likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: The usual suspects
I too have wondered how all this Emotional Support Animal nonsense began - and I do think most of it is nonsense.

Twenty years ago, or even 10 years ago, we did not see dozens of people with their ESA's all over the airport and in every departure lounge. There was an occasional passenger with a cat or a small dog in a soft-sided cage that would fit under the seat in front of them, for which they had paid a modest "pet fee" of $25 or $50. The animals were required to stay inside the cage throughout the flight - no running around pooping on seats and carpet or biting passengers.

Then the airlines raised their under-the-seat pet fees (I think the last time 2 - 3 years ago I paid $150), and began limitations on pets as checked baggage or cargo, also with heftier fees, though the restrictions were largely safety related. An entitled population then demanded their pets travel in the cabin with them as Emotional Support Animals at no additional cost (after all, there was a disability), since they were too large to go under the seat, or it would cost them more than they were willing to pay even if the animal were small.

So here we are today, with ESA digs mauling other passengers, or taking up all the floor space in a row of seats intended for use by others seated there too, just like a Person of Size, which we also complain about.
GUWonder, knwl9, petaluma1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind that this is the travel safety/security policy debate forum.

Pursuant to FlyerTalk Rule 5, Stay on Topic, please confine your remarks in this thread to the effect that emotional support animals have on flight safety and security.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:33 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Will, thanks for the legal outline. Interesting that the airport, in this case, seemed to absolve their own responsibility by saying "we aren't allowed to ask ___", when it seems that this only applies to service (not emotional support) animals.

In any case, I found this yesterday and thought it relevant (if not a direct result): The Tampa Airport is changing their policies on pets in the airport (https://news.tampaairport.com/tampa-international-airport-tightens-leash-on-pets-at-the-airport/).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.