Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Congress introduces (H.R. 911): Install of cockpit secondary barriers on ALL jets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congress introduces (H.R. 911): Install of cockpit secondary barriers on ALL jets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Ok, FLEOA represents current and former Federal LEO's. That still doesn't demonstrate any expertise in cockpit barriers.
Every police department, city or county jail, and state or federal prison has a secondary barrier system—those are all law enforcement facilities.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
Every police department, city or county jail, and state or federal prison has a secondary barrier system—those are all law enforcement facilities.
Are you referring to sally ports used in jails? Hardly comparable to the H. R. 911.
flatdawgs and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: http://www.maclean-scotus.info
Are you referring to sally ports used in jails? Hardly comparable to the H. R. 911.
It's precisely the exact same concept: One barrier has to close before another one opens.

H.R. 911 is a "fix bill" the reckless 2018 law that signals all suicidal-homicidal threats to attack the existing 7,000+ aircrafts and avoid any built after October of this year.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacLeanBarrier
It's precisely the exact same concept: One barrier has to close before another one opens.

H.R. 911 is a "fix bill" the reckless 2018 law that signals all suicidal-homicidal threats to attack the existing 7,000+ aircrafts and avoid any built after October of this year.
Airplanes are not jails. I certainly don't think histrionics are needed to describe the purpose of H.R. 911. In the 18 years since 9/11/2001 not one terrorists attempt has been made to actively breach a cockpit door. With around 87,000 flights per day just in the U.S., that alone suggests to me that the 2018 bill, which mandates secondary barriers on new aircraft, is sufficient. Older aircraft will be taken out of service as their service life ends to be replaced with new secondary barrier equipped airplanes .

Why aren't there Sally Ports on employee doors at airports? One person swipes their badge and any number of people can piggy back in without badging. Maybe that would be a better venue to push for secondary barriers.@:-)
Spiff and milski like this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Mar 28, 2019 at 8:55 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Airplanes are not jails. I certainly don't think histrionics are needed to describe the purpose of H.R. 911. In the 18 years since 9/11/2001 not one terrorists attempt has been made to actively breach a cockpit door. With around 87,000 flights per day just in the U.S., that alone suggests to me that the 2018 bill, which mandates secondary barriers on new aircraft, is sufficient. Older aircraft will be taken out of service as their service life ends to be replaced with new secondary barrier equipped airplanes .

Why aren't there Sally Ports on employee doors at airports? One person swipes their badge and any number of people can piggy back in without badging. Maybe that would be a better venue to push for secondary barriers.@:-)
Piggy-backing is strictly forbidden. If badged workers piggyback, that is grounds for immediate termination. If a badged worker allows a non-badged person to piggyback, that is not only grounds for immediate termination, but grounds for arrest. Not 100% sure, but I believe such a breach is a felony. Piggy-backing for convenience does happen, but much like the terrorism fears behind secondary cockpit barriers, I don't believe that secondary barriers in airports are necessary given the fact that there has not been a single terrorist attack in the US that I've ever heard of that involved bad actors piggy-backing into the SIDA with a badged worker.

Personally, I think the mandate for secondary barriers on new aircraft is not just sufficient, it's overkill. Retrofitting existing aircraft with such barriers is ludicrous. I just hope that this bill dies in committee and never sees the floor of either house. But I guess that all depends on the level of lobbying and campaign contributions by those who stand to make money off the manufacture and installation of these secondary boondoggles.
Spiff and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:19 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Absolute final reminder before this thread is closed!

I permitted this thread to be started on the condition that it will be confined to discussing the legislative progress of the H.R. 911 and that previous arguments for and against the need for secondary cockpit barriers that have been extensively debated and repeated in the closed thread not be restated here.

Please confine all future comments to the progress of the legislation, not arguments for or against the need for secondary cockpit barriers.

Future messages in violation of this directive will be summarily deleted; posters of the deleted messages will be subject to discipline.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 28, 2019 at 1:10 pm Reason: Refine
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
To give a sense of context on passage probability, typically about 13,000 bills are introduced in a given two-year Congress. Of these, around 95% don't even get a vote.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/statistics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.