Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA is starting that RealID stuff again...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Often1
The Maryland problem is simply an inefficient and poorly-run state bureaucracy having nothing to do with RealID.

DC is not known for efficiency, but it took less than 30 minutes when I renewed and converted to RealID. The website has simple lists in plain English, one selects the documents to bring and prints out that list so that one can double-check before heading to DMV. There is a check-in area where documents are checked before one is sent to a clerk who handles the transaction. That keeps the lines moving and gets rid of the people who didn't bring the right documents.

The only irate people I saw were people who were turned away because they were missing a required document.
Numbers work in DC's favor on this one.

Washington DC has a population of approximately 633,000 people. That population is served by 8 DMV locations, scattered around the city. This means one DMV location per 79,125 residents. ANd it's a small city - you're never that far from a DMV.

The state of Maryland has a population of 6,043,000 people, served by 24 MVA locations, meaning one MVA location per 251,791 residents. And although Maryland is a fairly small state, it still has five counties that have no MVA locations at all, giving some folks pretty long drives to get to the MVA before they get to stand in lines and wait around.

Looking at those numbers, is it any wonder that the District's DMV locations tend to have much shorter lines than Maryland's?

But leaving all of that aside, the problem is really multifaceted - there are the ridiculous documentation requirements of the RealID act; there is the large ratio of people to MVA locations; and there is the natural tendency of Americans to get irritated and irate at the slightest inconvenience. And the RealID requirements are more than just a slight inconvenience.

I'm as critical of the Maryland state government and its insane inefficiencies as the next Marylander, but I can't lay the blame for long lines and angry people entirely on the MVA. Most of it has got to go to the fed for foisting this stupidity on us in the first place with the RealID act. And some of it has to go to the people of the United States, who were so terrified after 9/11 that they willingly did a cannonball into a pot and begged the government to turn up the heat (with such travesties as DHS, TSA, and the Patriot and RealID Acts) in a desperate and ultimately fruitless attempt to keep us all safe from the Big Bwown Muswim Bogie-man.

We're reaping what our collective cowardice has sewn for the last 17 1/2 years, and it's a got some pretty sour flavors.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Proof of residency? I don't recall having to provide anything of the sort until RealID came along. You provide the address, they mail the license to that address, the fact that you got it was considered evidence enough.
I've never had to provide proof of Social Security before.

I lost my first and only card when I was in my late teens and my wallet got stolen. I know my number and the paper card was never valid as a form of ID - no picture, easy to fake because it's paper. I have no idea how many reams of paper I would need to replace the card now.

I'm not sure what all this unverifiable paper is supposed to prove, other than that the government reserves the right to make stupid and unreasonable demands. Copies of paper bills, leases, etc - are you kidding me? Easy for bad guys to fake and we all know the state isn't going to verify every single document. Just more unreasonable hassle for innocent people.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chollie
I've never had to provide proof of Social Security before.

I lost my first and only card when I was in my late teens and my wallet got stolen. I know my number and the paper card was never valid as a form of ID - no picture, easy to fake because it's paper. I have no idea how many reams of paper I would need to replace the card now.
I am not arguing the merits of the requirement to provide proof of residency or Social Security number.

As a point of information, W-2 forms, 1099 forms and pay stubs are also accepted by the California DMV as proof of a Social Security number, I assume that this is true elsewhere.

In addition, I needed a new Social Security card a few years ago (I laminated my decades old original one, which now is prohibited). All I had to do was to prove my identity at the local Social Security office (I used my passport). The new card came in the mail in about a week. I used that mailing as one of the proofs of residency when I applied for my REAL ID.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by TWA884
As a point of information, W-2 forms, 1099 forms and pay stubs are also accepted by the California DMV as proof of a Social Security number, I assume that this is true elsewhere.
Also true here at least. But a lot of W-2s, 1099s, and pay stubs no longer print the complete SSN "for security purposes," in which case they do not work as proof of SSN. A lot of people who aren't careful are going to get tripped up by that when they try to use one of these documents.

When I eventually go get my "real id," I will probably end up bringing in my actual Social Security card, something I don't think I have ever done before for DL purposes (in 3 states) or for employment. My parents probably used the Social Security card when I was a kid to get my first passport. I think the only other time the card has been out of the envelope was for my kindergarten screening strangely enough. The date of my kindergarten screening is written in my Mom's handwriting on the envelope.

This whole thing is stupid to me. If one already holds a valid US passport, nothing other than the passport and some reasonable proof of residence (lease, deed, mortgage payment, property tax bill, or utility bill) should be necessary to get one of these cards. Then a legitimate discussion could be held about what should be required of non-passport holders.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:52 pm

I have decided to skip real id and not deal with stupid state rules and regulations.

Originally Posted by cbn42
Having to produce proof of identity and residency in order to get a driver's license is not a new thing. REAL ID might have shortened the list of permissible documents that can be used as proof, and modified some other procedures such as where the licenses are printed, but the principle is the same. Perhaps people currently in their 60s were originally able to obtain their licenses without any "papers please", but when I got my first license c. 2001, I had to show all my papers, and I'm fairly certain that was the case in every state. Let's not pretend that asking for papers is anything new.

As for being internet savvy, California provides a list of acceptable documents in the renewal notice that is mailed out to people when their license is expiring. I would be very surprised if other states didn't do something similar.

"Patriotic sacrifices and loyalty" are great, but everyone has to follow the same rules. Serving in the military doesn't automatically make someone trusted.
When I got my California DL in late 90, i didn't have to provide any proof of my address. I got temp DL on the spot and actual card in the mail.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 21, 2019 at 10:01 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by looker001
I have decided to skip real id and not deal with stupid state rules and regulations.
I applaud this, but unless you don't drive, it won't work.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I applaud this, but unless you don't drive, it won't work.
It works for me, whether or not I drive. A regular state license and my US passports and other federal government-issued ID are enough that it works just fine without me bothering about this October 2020 “deadline” (that will again be pushed off).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

It works for me, whether or not I drive. A regular state license and my US passports and other federal government-issued ID are enough that it works just fine without me bothering about this October 2020 “deadline” (that will again be pushed off).
In my state, you can't get a regular DL without all the paperwork required for REAL ID. It would seem the only difference in the two DL's is a gold star on the REAL ID and the need to provide your Social Security number. I've had to provide proof of citizenship (birth certificate) since DHS first came out with the REAL ID nonsense.

I, too, believe that DHS will blink yet again. And since there are individuals who cannot acquire all the documentation to get a REAL ID, they are going to have to allow them to board an aircraft without all the falderol.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
In my state, you can't get a regular DL without all the paperwork required for REAL ID. It would seem the only difference in the two DL's is a gold star on the REAL ID and the need to provide your Social Security number. I've had to provide proof of citizenship (birth certificate) since DHS first came out with the REAL ID nonsense.

I, too, believe that DHS will blink yet again. And since there are individuals who cannot acquire all the documentation to get a REAL ID, they are going to have to allow them to board an aircraft without all the falderol.
There is no option in Maryland - they no longer issue non-RealID compliant licenses. All non-compliant licenses currently in circulation will be replaced by compliant licenses by the Oct 2020 deadline, regardless of whether DHS delays again or not.

In a way, I actually applaud the decision. By making all license/non-driver's ID processes the same, Maryland avoids adding more confusion and frustration to an already confusing and frustrating process. Everyone is the same, this is what you do. It's a major pain in the neck, but at least it's the same pain for everyone.

I'm not certain that DHS will delay again. I can't imagine DHS fully implementing the RealID requirements until all states are compliant, and according to Wikipedia, Maine, New Jersey, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Oregon are currently non-compliant, as well as a couple of island territories. However, if the non-compliant states become compliant before the deadline, then it very well may take effect in 2020 as scheduled.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WillCAD
There is no option in Maryland - they no longer issue non-RealID compliant licenses. All non-compliant licenses currently in circulation will be replaced by compliant licenses by the Oct 2020 deadline, regardless of whether DHS delays again or not.

In a way, I actually applaud the decision. By making all license/non-driver's ID processes the same, Maryland avoids adding more confusion and frustration to an already confusing and frustrating process. Everyone is the same, this is what you do. It's a major pain in the neck, but at least it's the same pain for everyone.

I'm not certain that DHS will delay again. I can't imagine DHS fully implementing the RealID requirements until all states are compliant, and according to Wikipedia, Maine, New Jersey, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Oregon are currently non-compliant, as well as a couple of island territories. However, if the non-compliant states become compliant before the deadline, then it very well may take effect in 2020 as scheduled.
I’m pretty sure Texas is the same as Maryland. I know last time I renewed my license I had to bring my Social Security card in. The clerk said something about them needing it as part of the RealID requirements. As I recall the clerk scanned it into his computer. Renewed my DoD retiree CAC ID card this past Wednesday and had to bring in two forms of current pictured ID and I think they specifically asked for a passport and driver’s license if available. Since I had both no problem and I didn’t ask the clerk what they do if you don’t have one or both. He manually entered my passport and driver’s license numbers into the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). I’ve been in that system for eons so I was a bit surprised they wanted more information but then again it is the Federal government.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:55 pm

In the last couple years the Iowa DMV has made a push towards Real ID but hasn't made it mandatory. It was honestly quite easy to do. Their website clearly lists which documents you need and has a tool where you can select which document you plan on bringing for each category and can print or email the list so you remember to bring them. Shockingly there's no extra charge for it either. The only down side for me was I had to renew at the DMV* and wait almost two hours to do it in person. The actual renewal and Real ID application took all of about 5-8 minutes and I received my new starred DL in a little over two weeks.

*Iowa allows every other renewal to be done online or at one of the DMV kiosks located around the sate. If you renewed online or at a kiosk the next time you will be required to renew in person to be given the vision test and get a new photo taken.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Proof of residency? I don't recall having to provide anything of the sort until RealID came along. You provide the address, they mail the license to that address, the fact that you got it was considered evidence enough.
It may depend on the state. In Illinois in the 90s, I definitely had to produce proof of residency.

Side story: I remember the first time I tried to get an IL license, I was turned away because my proof of residency (rental agreement and power bill) didn't have the same name as my out of state license. The difference, you ask? Rental agreement had just my middle initial, power bill was first/last only, DL had full name. Lady was in a particularly foul mood and claimed that the middle initial didn't necessarily mean it was the same person, although the First/Last matched.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It may depend on the state. In Illinois in the 90s, I definitely had to produce proof of residency.

Side story: I remember the first time I tried to get an IL license, I was turned away because my proof of residency (rental agreement and power bill) didn't have the same name as my out of state license. The difference, you ask? Rental agreement had just my middle initial, power bill was first/last only, DL had full name. Lady was in a particularly foul mood and claimed that the middle initial didn't necessarily mean it was the same person, although the First/Last matched.
So what happens if you are homeless? Last time i checked being homeless is not against the law.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:17 am

Yesterday, I got my NJ DL renewal-by-mail form. NO information about REAL ID was included in the package. There was a form to register to vote as well as a blurb about organ donation but nada concerning REAL ID.

If I were not an informed citizen, I would have no knowledge that by 10/20 I am allegedly going to be required to have a REAL ID license in order to fly (which I don't believe for even one minute) and I would go through the next 4 years with my regular license - which I am going to do anyway, even as an informed citizen.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:57 am

Yesterday, I got my NJ DL renewal-by-mail form. NO information about REAL ID was included in the package. There was a form to register to vote as well as a blurb about organ donation but nada concerning REAL ID.

If I were not an informed citizen, I would have no knowledge that by 10/20 I am allegedly going to be required to have a REAL ID license in order to fly (which I don't believe for even one minute) and I would go through the next 4 years with my regular license - which I am going to do anyway, even as an informed citizen.
I finally got around to filling out the form and notice there is a new question on it about citizenship: Are you in this country legally? Yes No

Does the state really expect anyone here illegally to answer the question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.