Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I've been using my passport for the contrived "ID matters" gauntlet for years. The simple reason is that nobody in the TSA needs to know my home address.
Same here.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Me three: First the passport, a brief period of waiting while TSA document checkers couldn't figure out that my GE card was official government ID, and now the passport card.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I've been using my passport for the contrived "ID matters" gauntlet for years. The simple reason is that nobody in the TSA needs to know my home address.
Same here or my Global Entry I/d as my home address is nobody's business but mine and the postal service
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: The usual suspects
One state I used to live in allowed me to list a PO Box on my DL, as long as they had my real home address in their records. I think this was in Arizona.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:00 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
One state I used to live in allowed me to list a PO Box on my DL, as long as they had my real home address in their records. I think this was in Arizona.
NYS also allows this for "regular" DLs. Real ID compliant DLs require your "real" home address to be printed on DL.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by nrr
I signed up for a 3 month trial CLEAR (free!) membership. I was flying on DL JFK-ZRH (out of T4 which has clear). Once I cleared CLEAR I bypassed the TSA P/C agent and went straight to the security line. So CLEAR (though expensive if you don't have any discounts) is another option..
No really. It's expensive and a number of airports don't have clear.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My current Washington state license is non-compliant, but looks as though I'll be forced to go Real ID when it expires later this year. I use my GE card at the airport.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My current Washington state license is non-compliant, but looks as though I'll be forced to go Real ID when it expires later this year. I use my GE card at the airport.
​​​​​​
In WA, the only RealID-compliant document is the Enhanced Driver License (EDL). To apply for it, you'll have to check which DOL locations can process such applications and then bring the same documents that you would bring for a regular DL and a passport. And then the application will have to be approved by the DHS (CBP?). Of course, these EDLs are only available to US citizens, so non-citizens (including LPRs) who reside in WA are screwed -- they will have to use either Green Cards or their home countries' passports to board an airplane.

If I were you, I would just apply for a passport card and continue using the non-compliant WA driver license.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I had let retired Army ID expire and got lazy about getting a new one. I rarely go on the local Army or Air Force posts and bases so no big deal. About a month ago Mrs K was bugging me about it so I went into the ID office one morning without an appointment. Took all of 20 minutes to get my new non-chipped CAC card. Felt kind of stupid that I hadn’t done it before. Anyhow, used it on a short vacation this past week with no issue. Other than the preprinted government stuff it only has my picture, name, and an expiration date on it. That’s about as minimal as it gets and it’s easier to get out of my wallet than my driver’s license.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I had let retired Army ID expire and got lazy about getting a new one. I rarely go on the local Army or Air Force posts and bases so no big deal. About a month ago Mrs K was bugging me about it so I went into the ID office one morning without an appointment. Took all of 20 minutes to get my new non-chipped CAC card. Felt kind of stupid that I hadn’t done it before. Anyhow, used it on a short vacation this past week with no issue. Other than the preprinted government stuff it only has my picture, name, and an expiration date on it. That’s about as minimal as it gets and it’s easier to get out of my wallet than my driver’s license.
I turn 65 in another eight weeks, so I will have to turn in my old DD-2 for the new CAC. Apparently, they set an expiration date of your 65th birthday on all retiree ID cards to make sure you went into a Pass & ID office somewhere. The reasoning I heard was so they could change over Tricare for Life to Medicare Part B in your DEERS records.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I turn 65 in another eight weeks, so I will have to turn in my old DD-2 for the new CAC. Apparently, they set an expiration date of your 65th birthday on all retiree ID cards to make sure you went into a Pass & ID office somewhere. The reasoning I heard was so they could change over Tricare for Life to Medicare Part B in your DEERS records.
They actually let me keep my old ID. Clerk said they used to take them but stopped since they are totally obsolete and supposedly can’t be used. My old ID was so old that the expiration date entry actually said “indefinite”. TSA didn’t like it and in fact one ID checker initially refused to accept it. His supervisor overruled him but suggested I either get a new ID card or use some other ID. After that a gate guard at Fort Gordon tried to take it away from me because it was no longer considered valid. Talked him out of it because I was just visiting the post and didn’t live in the area. Anyhow, finally got off my backside and have the new CAC and my DEERS information is updated.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to renew my retired ID when I turned 65. Renewal date was 06/2017 and was issued a DD Form 2 with and Indefinite expiration date. I haven't been on a military base since the renewal so not sure what would happen if I was required to produce ID.

What caught me off guard was the requirement to sign up for Medicare or lose Tri-Care coverage.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47

They actually let me keep my old ID. Clerk said they used to take them but stopped since they are totally obsolete and supposedly can’t be used. My old ID was so old that the expiration date entry actually said “indefinite”. TSA didn’t like it and in fact one ID checker initially refused to accept it. His supervisor overruled him but suggested I either get a new ID card or use some other ID. After that a gate guard at Fort Gordon tried to take it away from me because it was no longer considered valid. Talked him out of it because I was just visiting the post and didn’t live in the area. Anyhow, finally got off my backside and have the new CAC and my DEERS information is updated.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I had to renew my retired ID when I turned 65. Renewal date was 06/2017 and was issued a DD Form 2 with and Indefinite expiration date. I haven't been on a military base since the renewal so not sure what would happen if I was required to produce ID.

What caught me off guard was the requirement to sign up for Medicare or lose Tri-Care coverage.
When I retired in 1998, my original retired ID card did say "indefinite." My active duty ID card also said "indefinite" but that was long before CACs. It must have been about 10 years ago when we went to get Mrs. Flies' dependent ID card renewed that they gave me a new one with my 65th birthday as the expiration. I think I wrote upstream that the NCO said that the DoD did this specifically for Medicare enrollment.

I chose to stay with my federal civilian plan which you can take into retirement. I never signed up for Tricare for Life. (I guess I still have what they used to call CHAMPUS Basic which was free but didn't cover much of anything.) I will sign up for Medicare Part A which is a no-brainer because you paid for it during your working lifetime.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I retired in 1998, my original retired ID card did say "indefinite." My active duty ID card also said "indefinite" but that was long before CACs. It must have been about 10 years ago when we went to get Mrs. Flies' dependent ID card renewed that they gave me a new one with my 65th birthday as the expiration. I think I wrote upstream that the NCO said that the DoD did this specifically for Medicare enrollment.

I chose to stay with my federal civilian plan which you can take into retirement. I never signed up for Tricare for Life. (I guess I still have what they used to call CHAMPUS Basic which was free but didn't cover much of anything.) I will sign up for Medicare Part A which is a no-brainer because you paid for it during your working lifetime.
My original retired ID (1992) had Indefinite listed. I went with my wife to renew her Dependents ID at some point and went ahead and updated mine. That is when the Indefinite came off and listed the Expiration Date for age 65. The card issued at 65 went back to indefinite. Still don't have a CAC, just the old DD Form 2.​​​​​​ Guess I'll never have to get another card issued.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If I never had a passport card but do have a passport book - when renewing passport and adding in the option of passport card, do I pay $30 (renewal) or $65 (first-time)?

What if I want to get a new passport card, never had one before, but not renewing my passport at the same time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.