Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
If I never had a passport card but do have a passport book - when renewing passport and adding in the option of passport card, do I pay $30 (renewal) or $65 (first-time)?

What if I want to get a new passport card, never had one before, but not renewing my passport at the same time?
Renewing the passport book and getting a new card together looks like it will cost $140.

If you already have a passport book that doesn't need renewal, you'll only pay $30 for a passport card. This is how I got mine. The card's expiration date will not be tied to the book - it will have its own ten-year validity period starting at the date of issuance.

There's a handy fee calculator that will help you with the fees:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ml#passportTop
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Is an APEC travel card accepted as an ID for domestic air travel? I don’t see it listed on the TSA’s list of accepted ID list. Is it not considered one of the DHS trusted traveler cards?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

Folks,

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 5, Keep on Topic, when posting here.

While some natural deviation from the topic of the forum and the subject of the thread are perfectly fine as long the focus of the discussion remains on Real ID, please keep the this thread on matters related to travel safety and security.

Arguments about the cost of Medicare belong in the OMNI forums.

Future off-topic remarks will be summarily deleted without further warning.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Are foreign passports RealID compliant?

Because TSA can get as nasty and punitive as it wants to bully non-compliant citizens into spending the time and money for a RealID, but all the nastiness in the world won't work if a foreigner's country doesn't provide RealID compliant passports.

Let me guess. TSA can produce studies demonstrating that the only proven-effective method of clearing a pax with a non-compliant DL is an intensive blue-glove frisk.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Are foreign passports RealID compliant?
Real ID regulations apply only to those wishing to use state-issued ID's or driver licenses to fly within the U.S.

From the TSA Identification website:
REAL ID
Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, if you plan to use your state-issued ID or license to fly within the U.S., make sure it is REAL ID compliant. If you are not sure if your ID complies with REAL ID, check with your state department of motor vehicles.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
What does a foreign passport offer that satisfies RealID requirements?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:10 pm

It's not a proper question. Passports -- whether US or foreign ones -- have nothing to do with the REAL ID act, so they don't have to satisfy any of its requirements. I understand that you are asking why passports are considered secure enough to be accepted by the TSA, but that is completely outside of the scope of Real ID, which only deals with state-issued driver licenses / ID cards.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:33 pm

Overheard a guy at work tell a group of people that starting next year, (ie, Jan 1, 2020) "you'll need a real ID to board any US domestic flights. Passports won't get you on a domestic flight. You'll need Real ID"

I know this is misinformation, as a passport will trump all. But my point is there is a lot of misinformation out there. Be careful everyone. Come to Flyertalk with your questions and don't listen to casual talkers at work!

From the TSA Identification website:

REAL ID
Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, if you plan to use your state-issued ID or license to fly within the U.S., make sure it is REAL ID compliant. If you are not sure if your ID complies with REAL ID, check with your state department of motor vehicles.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Real/enhanced ID

People in New York State tend to think that it’s mandatory. And I recentky read an Article here about how most Americans are not ready for it.

but here is my question: As long as you have a valid passport, enhanced ID is not your “top shelf ID”. your US passport still supersedes an enhanced ID, doesn’t it?

live been seeing a lot of people running to the DMV and throwing the state more $$$$$ but I *think* I’m correct in saying that the US Passport is still the ultimate ID, correct?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:44 am

Hello @the phoenix,

I moved your question into the relevant thread.

There is additional useful information in the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by cheaptom

I know this is misinformation, as a passport will trump all.

REAL ID

Thank you for moving nad YES< as I suspected, a US Passport will STILL trump all! I have people scrambling to the DMV for real IDs but I keep telling them that unless they DONT WANT to use their passport, its UNNECESSARY and a PLAY for the state to make more money off them!
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:38 am

I use my Global Entry card for ID everywhere. I figure it's about the most useless ID to those who don't need to know details about me. I don't think there are too many people / agencies who can access the databases with the PASSIDs.

It's also quite convenient at stores and other places, as it can't be scanned / swiped by their cash registers.

/I miss my old DL. The barcode came out smudged by the DMV's own printer and I wiped the mag stripe.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:35 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
With new enhanced DL rules coming into play, some/many pax will be using GE cards instead of DLs, so a valid = non-expired GE card will be essential for interactions with TSA.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Often1
This is simply a non-issue. If there is a problem with a particular Officer at a particular checkpoint, it is an error on the Officer's part. For fairly obvious reasons, TSA lists all TTP cards, e.g.
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
If, for some reason, an Officer rejects one of these cards, your options are simple: ask for a supervisor or produce alternative ID such as a DL or passport. All depends on your personal preferences and time constraints.
Actually it does not list the APEC Travel Card issued by DHS. For what it is worth, I have yet to have the TSA accept it as my id.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Obtaining a US passport requires less "documentation" than what a NYS DL which is Real-ID compliant requires; I've never understood DHSs Oct. 2020 "ultimatum".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.