Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Real ID 10/2020 Deadline: Best ID to Carry? DL? GE? Passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:07 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Does anyone know if the NEXUS cards are RealID compliant?
To be precise, they are not REAL ID Act compliant...but it doesn't matter, because they're not subject to the REAL ID Act.

The REAL ID Act sets new requirements for state IDs to be considered secure enough to use for federal purposes, and therefore options such as the US passport book and/or card; trusted traveler IDs including NEXUS, Global Entry, and SENTRI; Department of Defense IDs; and so on are not covered by the act at all. However, as federal IDs they are usable for federal purposes including TSA ID checks.

The TSA's web page on identification documents says:
Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, if you plan to use your state-issued ID or license to fly within the U.S., make sure it is REAL ID compliant.
(emphasis added)

It also lists "DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)" among the acceptable options.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Thank you!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:39 am

GE Card = Valid ID For Boarding Flights?

A family member does not have a state-issued ID card or a drivers license yet, but does have a valid passport and Global Entry (including the GE Card). This family member is a minor. Can they use the GE Card in lieu of a state-issued ID/driver's license for boarding a flight? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Only thing I've used for about 5 years now.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:50 am

Technically yes.

In praxtice, some agents won’t be properly trained and will reject the card. If a passport is available I would use that to minimize hassle.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by davie355
In practice, some agents won’t be properly trained and will reject the card
When I'd first started using the GOES card (and I realize now that it's been since 2012, actually) that used to be the case, and if I had the time I'd wait for them to get a supervisor for a bit of "on-the-job training". But after a while I'd heard a couple of TDCs say something to effect of how they were trained recently to recognize them, and I haven't had any issues for years. Domestic flights only, of course.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:09 am

Good to know, many thanks for the quick replies. We are flying domestically through LAX today, so we will test it and see how it goes.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by davie355
Technically yes.

In praxtice, some agents won’t be properly trained and will reject the card. If a passport is available I would use that to minimize hassle.
I use the GE card as my primary ID for TSA TDC. It’s been several years since I’ve had any hassle for doing so, with the exception being at airport terminals when the TSA is expecting passports to be shown for all passengers because all the terminal has for flights then are international flights. And at these times the TSA sometimes even insists on seeing ID for infants/toddlers and other young children despite that not being required by the laws/regulations and SOPs which the TSA is to follow.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:12 am

I've been using it as my primary ID card when going through TSA for 3 years and have never had an issue. I'm sure some officer out there will not recognize it but there are also stories of TSA officers rejecting DC driver's licenses due to them thinking they're from a foreign country Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:01 pm

Worked like a passport when we went through. To be direct, I was never clear on why the Global Entry card was issued. I found out the hard way they apparently expected me to have it when I flew YVR to LAX, but they apparently got what they needed from my passport.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
When I'd first started using the GOES card (and I realize now that it's been since 2012, actually) that used to be the case, and if I had the time I'd wait for them to get a supervisor for a bit of "on-the-job training". But after a while I'd heard a couple of TDCs say something to effect of how they were trained recently to recognize them, and I haven't had any issues for years. Domestic flights only, of course.
Why domestic flights only? You need a passport for international travel, but TSA airport security simply requires a government issued photo ID; there's no requirement to show a passport (or driver's license) if you have some other form of government issued photo ID.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:43 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I will piggyback on what others have noted and say even at Int'l terminals or with an int'l boarding pass TSA at the checkpoints only need one of the valid IDs, not a passport. One does not have to show a passport to TSA at these checkpoints even if a TDC "wants to see it".; if you have time ask for a supervisor so the TDC gets the proper training. (Of note, some people are travelling on int'l flights and do not require a passport anyway but that really would mess with some of the newer TDCs I believe.)

Stories are rampant of some TDCs rejecting valid IDs such as D.C. and New Mexico DLs for being "foreign" and rejecting passport cards since it says "not for air travel" even though valid. Years ago I had a TDC question my DoD ID saying I was "too young to be a major" and he was serious, but that lead to some supervisory retraining on the spot.

All that said I pass through TSA checkpoints at least twice a week, every week, and must say the TDCs seem to be getting better as I rarely have any delays, and I mix using foreign passport, my TX DL with an out-of-state address on it (which used to get a lot of questions), passport card, DoD ID, and the aforementioned GE card. For full disclosure, I am always in the pre-check line, so maybe that helps with the TDCs.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is simply a non-issue. If there is a problem with a particular Officer at a particular checkpoint, it is an error on the Officer's part. For fairly obvious reasons, TSA lists all TTP cards, e.g.
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
If, for some reason, an Officer rejects one of these cards, your options are simple: ask for a supervisor or produce alternative ID such as a DL or passport. All depends on your personal preferences and time constraints.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Passport!

I've been using my passport for the contrived "ID matters" gauntlet for years. The simple reason is that nobody in the TSA needs to know my home address.
Spiff, SPN Lifer, jfunk138 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I've been using my passport for the contrived "ID matters" gauntlet for years. The simple reason is that nobody in the TSA needs to know my home address.
A Passport Card is convenient to carry and useful for TSA's "ID Matters" purposes. I agree that TSA has no need to see my address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.