Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you tip your TSA officers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Not a chance. Besides being illegal, the whole idea of tipping a government employee, particularly one whose job is so adversarial to the general public.

As to the free pizza, and food drives I've heard about, I'm on the fence. They're obviously no intended as bribery or influence peddling, and since they're being done organizationally and anonymously, the possibility of undue influence is pretty remote.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

It is time for the periodic reminder that derisive gross generalizations of TSA employees are not permitted in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Please review this forum's sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, and in particular the following:
The moderators will enforce a zero-tolerance policy against personal attacks – against a fellow FTer, TS/S posters in general, or TSA employees as a group. While we don't wish to turn away reflective criticism we do ask that participants refrain from posting behaviors that only serve to inflame or disrupt the forum. Derisive terms used to grossly generalize others such as A. S. S., smurf, goon, thug, Gestapo, Nazi, perv, perp, kettles, gropers, mouth-breathers and the like add no value to the forum and are not permitted.
While it may be acceptable, depending on the circumstances, to accuse individual TSA employees of theft, implying that all TSA screeners are thieves is a violation of these guidelines.

Posts have been edited and/or deleted. Repeat offenders will be subject to discipline pursuant to FlyerTalk Rule 23.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:41 pm

Quote from TSA's deputy assistant administrator for public affairs, Jim Gregory:

"TSA officers cannot accept gifts at the checkpoint, however they are grateful for everyone's gratitude. It makes a difference."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/18/polit...ons/index.html
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:29 pm

When you are forced to do something (TSA) you don't feel like tipping them.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
I'm a fed (but one whose checks are still arriving, at least for now) and arrived in the U.S. on Christmas Day, so everyone there was working the holiday for free. Oof. I did make a point of thanking CBP and TSA for being there, but absolutely 110,000% do not tip a fed under any circumstances; I don't know how the TSA operates, but in my line of work there's a not-inconsequential amount of paperwork required of me if someone offers me cash.

If I catch a TSA agent moonlighting at Chili's, though, I'm definitely tipping heavily while I still can.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Here's the actual law, posted on Cornell Law School's Legal Information Institute: 5 U.S. Code § 7353 - Gifts to Federal employees
Originally Posted by CZBB
Allegiant Air bought pizza for the TSA employees at BLI/Bellingham yesterday.
OPM says federal employees cannot accept gifts from sources that have interests that may be substantially affected by the performance of the employees official duties. It also says that employees need to return gifts to the giver, unless the gifts are perishable items -- those may be given to charity or shared by the office, with managerial approval.

So as long as the airline bought decent pizza that qualifies as a perishable (e.g. not Little Ceasars) it's probably ok.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
No and as Federal employees they are prohibited by the federal bribery statue from accepting anything.
This... Just, this.

The organized donation processes (food, meals) have certain guidelines that have to be followed as well. These locations usually have had some prior coordination to advise the donating source of the regulations that must be followed.

Last edited by gsoltso; Jan 22, 2019 at 11:50 am Reason: add more information.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
From a FA friend, JFK based:

NEW NEWS!!!!!!
��WE CAN HELP!!��

As of January 15, the directives have been clarified.
TSA agent’s are now able to individually accept $20 (or less, not more!) gift cards.

The cards MUST be associated a store (no cash, visa, MasterCard or money orders can be accepted).

What is needed? Food, mostly. Grocery cards (heard Stop & Shop is a favorite!). Cards can be from any store, as long as it’s a store...so, Amazon, Starbucks, Target. In denominations of $20 or less.”

If the agent doesn't know the rule, ask for the manager, all managers got the e-mail.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps

NEW NEWS!!!!!!
��WE CAN HELP!!��

TSA agent’s are now able to individually accept $20 (or less, not more!) gift cards.

The cards MUST be associated a store (no cash, visa, MasterCard or money orders can be accepted).

What is needed? Food, mostly. Grocery cards (heard Stop & Shop is a favorite!). Cards can be from any store, as long as it’s a store...so, Amazon, Starbucks, Target. In denominations of $20 or less.”

If the agent doesn't know the rule, ask for the manager, all managers got the e-mail.
will there be a priority line for passengers bearing gift cards?
Xyzzy and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:24 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs

NEW NEWS!!!!!!
��WE CAN HELP!!��

Is this posted officially anywhere? I've seen this on other sites (e.g. TPG), but I also see plenty of reputable news sources saying this is not allowed. Just want clarification.

Edit: I also just saw a quote from CBS that TSOs can't accept "at screening locations". Perhaps there's a location component here. Don't want to distract the TSOs from moving people through. Also can't claim you're bribing a TSO if they don't know that you donated anything.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TBD
Is this posted officially anywhere? I've seen this on other sites (e.g. TPG), but I also see plenty of reputable news sources saying this is not allowed. Just want clarification.

Edit: I also just saw a quote from CBS that TSOs can't accept "at screening locations". Perhaps there's a location component here. Don't want to distract the TSOs from moving people through. Also can't claim you're bribing a TSO if they don't know that you donated anything.
Well, exactly.
My FA friend has gone to the manager - not to the agents working. But she's been successful with donating gift cards.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta, United
Though the current shut down is over and employee will soon receive back pay it is worth repeating. If one really wants to help donate to a food bank (may be tax deductible). Because the shutdown has not just affected the TSA but many other federal employees as well as smaller businesses in communities with a large federal employee population. Those that are in need will hopefully be able to make use of such donations.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Well, exactly.
My FA friend has gone to the manager - not to the agents working. But she's been successful with donating gift cards.
Presumably the TSOs remember to declare any tips on their income taxes.

It's the law.
HMPS and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Almost all Federal agencies have some form of employee relief fund. These are not Federal funded appropriate funds and are usually run by employee representatives. Generally their purpose is to help an individual employee in a time of need like home fire, family tragedy, flood, etc., and not meant nor big enough funds to support a large population all at once. There are virtually no restrictions on how much or who can donate to these funds as the donations are to the fund not to an individual. While most funds are cash based there are some that accept non-perishable foods, clothing, etc., depending on the circumstances. I can only speak to my time as a DoD Federal employee but we had very specific rules and regulations on what we could or couldn’t accept in terms of gifts from external sources like businesses and contractors and from internal sources like supervisors and subordinates. It’s pretty strict and ranges from $10 to no more than $20 in value. At least in DoD there is a mandatory annual ethics training requirement where those restrictions are laid out.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jan 27, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:06 pm

Not that I find this surprising, but I'm seeing many comments on TSA's twitter site that indicate more than a few people don't realize that the shutdown is over and believe TSA is still not being paid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.