Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you tip your TSA officers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
While I understand the sentiment involved in giving something to Federal workers during the current government shutdown, I would absolutely NT call that a tip. Federal workers should not be tipped. Most people with their hands out in the US these days should not be tipped. It's getting out of control.
htb, Scifience, STBCypriot and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by GMTmin8
I’ve been thinking how I would feel if required to work without pay.
Since I’m fortunate to be able to do so, if the furlough continues, I was planning to hand out small demonomination Target gift cards next week to TSA.
Random acts of kindness lift my spirit too.
I know exactly what that feels like. I worked for a company over 15 years ago that was gradually circling the drain. it is a tough situation to be in, no doubt. I was told three weeks before Christmas that we were not getting paid that week.....and probably not again until the new year.

I worked at my job, continuing to hope we would get paid.......and at my first opportunity, I left that job and found better employment. I think that many of the TSA agents will be doing the same.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
No, I am not tipping any government employees, particularly ones who have cost me so much in confiscated belongings over the years. I've never had a TSO tip me for being polite and groveling, even when I was under tremendous stress and in great pain and they hurt me badly. Not one has ever even said "Thank you".

Want to thank your government employee? What's wrong with just saying "Thank you"? Does everything have to be about money?
Xyzzy, STBCypriot and MrGood like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:11 am

Wonder how long before this morphs into "No tip? Well, let's make sure we screen you extra carefully."
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll tip TSA screeners. Tip, get a respectable job.
Xyzzy, kennycrudup and STBCypriot like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Maybe this is like in the Medieval days where you had to pay your executioner so he didn't make you suffer longer than necessary?
Bluesman62 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Sure I'll give them a tip, here it is: "Don't touch my junk!"
I give them $10 if they touch my junk. But I have a jealous husband so......
knwl9 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:46 am

My dad (WWII, Korea, Vietnam vet) thanked TSA when they allowed he and my mother to pass with a 3/4 empty tube of toothpaste. Two old folks in their 90's and he looked at the toothpaste, looked at them, and let them keep it.

Dad said "thank you" but he didn't tip.

No TSO ever tipped Dad for his service, either.

I'm off to see if there's a thread discussing tipping the other 760,000 essential federal employees who are working while waiting for delayed paychecks.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by juliep
I was just wondering. This seems to be a growing trend to reward those who do a thankless job serving their customers, especially during the current government shutdown. A post on a blog asking this question got me thinking:

The Water Cooler ? Tipping TSA Agents ?claycord CLAYCORD.com
You should not give government agents money. That's in violation of all kinds of bribery and corruption laws, their policies, and frankly, their needs. If people don't like their jobs, they can quit. Nobody is a victim of their job.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by juliep
I just found out from what of the comments in the post below they are allowed to accept gift cards:

"They can’t accept at all. Except in the form of gift cards excluding gift cards that are Visa,MC, etc. They can only accept gift cards from specific places like Target, Starbucks, Burger King, McDonald’s, etc. Please leave your name and number so that the appropriate TSA can contact you and thank you for your donation."

Just because someone wrote a comment on a blog, especially an internet blog does not make true. Sheesh.

Here is a quick search result. Note the source: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...e-37e8c9da22e1

Our source is Thomas Kelly, a spokesperson with the TSA's Office of Public Affairs.
Federal workers are not allowed to accept gifts, but there are a few exceptions, like non-cash gifts worth under $20.
However, Kelly specifically told us TSA agents cannot accept gifts of any kind at the airport from travelers.
Officers are not allowed to accept cash, gift cards, or gifts at screening locations because doing so could distract them or create the appearance of favoritism.
htb, strickerj and juliep like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
While I understand the sentiment involved in giving something to Federal workers during the current government shutdown, I would absolutely NT call that a tip. Federal workers should not be tipped. Most people with their hands out in the US these days should not be tipped. It's getting out of control.
I know some people who tip their postman, who is a government employee technically.

I also would tip a TSA agent if they gave me special privileges, like ignoring an "SSSS". Ok...just kidding. :-)

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Just because someone wrote a comment on a blog, especially an internet blog does not make true. Sheesh.

Here is a quick search result. Note the source: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...e-37e8c9da22e1
Thanks for that info.

I think they could accept non-cash gifts over $20 if they were not tangible. For example, many museums, zoos. and restaurants are waiving fees for Federal workers. The dinner price could be well over $20. And I found this post were the SF Zoo is waiving fees for furloughed Federal workers too:

http://claycord.com/2019/01/18/feder...down/#comments

"Federal Employees Get Free Entry To SF Zoo During Government Shutdown"

Admission costs $19, plus $16 for children 4-14. so a Federal worker's family could receive a non-tangible gift well over $20.

Also, I think non-essential furloughed Federal employees are not considered Federal employees during the shutdown, since they can claim unemployment. So the gift rule above does not apply.

Last edited by juliep; Jan 18, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The difference is that the reduce/free entry is for all federal employees not for a specific federal employee. Further, it is not being given while they are on the clock in any official capacity. If one really wanted to help donate to a food bank. Because the shutdown is not just affecting federal employees.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I can't believe the many mean-spirited comments here--tipping cannot be done, plain and simple, but how many of YOU would go to work for no check? You;d be the first ones bellyaching about how unfair, etc. Yes, many are not A+ employees but that's no excuse for us to not be sympathetic to them not getting paid. I tried to give some Kroger gc's at BNA last weekend when I traveled and none would take them....you could tell that they needed/wanted them, but were politely professional in rejecting. It costs nothing to be polite to someone and tell them that their work without pay is appreciated...it costs a lot in the long run to be a jerk!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I get they're working without pay at the moment. Without trivializing the hardship some families may be enduring during the shutdown... is this a joke? Tipping of government employees in any role is something that should never be entertained as an option.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by javabytes; Jan 18, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by boss315
I can't believe the many mean-spirited comments here--tipping cannot be done, plain and simple, but how many of YOU would go to work for no check? You;d be the first ones bellyaching about how unfair, etc. Yes, many are not A+ employees but that's no excuse for us to not be sympathetic to them not getting paid. I tried to give some Kroger gc's at BNA last weekend when I traveled and none would take them....you could tell that they needed/wanted them, but were politely professional in rejecting. It costs nothing to be polite to someone and tell them that their work without pay is appreciated...it costs a lot in the long run to be a jerk!
I don't want to go OT here, but I listened to a very sad story this morning about a single mother of three whose landlord is not being understanding.

She works for the IRS. Her paycheck is delayed.

Have you tipped an IRS employee today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.