Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you tip your TSA officers?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Do you tip your TSA officers?

I was just wondering. This seems to be a growing trend to reward those who do a thankless job serving their customers, especially during the current government shutdown. A post on a blog asking this question got me thinking:

The Water Cooler ? Tipping TSA Agents ?claycord CLAYCORD.com
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta, United
No and as Federal employees they are prohibited by the federal bribery statue from accepting anything.
Spiff, Xyzzy, gsoltso and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Sure I'll give them a tip, here it is: "Don't touch my junk!"
Spiff, iluv2fly, Xyzzy and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
No and as Federal employees they are prohibited by the federal bribery statue from accepting anything.
Good to learn that. I wasn't going to tip them anyway.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Sure I'll give them a tip, here it is: "Don't touch my junk!"
LOL!

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
UPDATE: I just found out from what of the comments in the post below they are allowed to accept gift cards:

The Water Cooler ? Tipping TSA Agents ?claycord CLAYCORD.com

"They can’t accept at all. Except in the form of gift cards excluding gift cards that are Visa,MC, etc. They can only accept gift cards from specific places like Target, Starbucks, Burger King, McDonald’s, etc. Please leave your name and number so that the appropriate TSA can contact you and thank you for your donation."

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 17, 2019 at 8:04 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Are you SERIOUS?!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
As a fellow fed, not a chance. I am flying this weekend and will be mindful of my manners but no more than that.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Tipping has finally gone way too far...
Xyzzy, STBCypriot, 84fiero and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:28 am

Is this from The Onion?
kennycrudup, 84fiero and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:41 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This is too funny!!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:03 am

Flying three days ago, I thanked them for coming to work ( since many have developed the flu.)All seemed grateful for the acknowledgement.
perkele likes this.

Last edited by awayIgo; Jan 18, 2019 at 5:04 am Reason: my rolling eyes emoji turned into question marks
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Tip employees that suffer no ramifications for under performing in the workplace?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:55 am

Tipping a security or police officer reeks of bribery; however, the fact that they are showing up to work without pay so that we can get where we need/want to go is at least worthy of a simple 'thank you.'

Handing out gift cards for food hardly seems inappropriate, given the circumstances (especially for the folks here who love to brag about flying in int'l F and staying in 5 star hotels on their own dime on a regular basis). But we all know just how incredibly chea...err frugal the 1% is, demanding freebies at every turn.

Its pretty funny that it is illegal to give a lowly Federal employee a small cash tip to buy a coffee or candy bar, but members of the Congress and Supreme Court are openly receiving millions in 'donations' to create and interpret the laws of the land.

Last edited by downinit; Jan 18, 2019 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: LH, DL
I’ve been thinking how I would feel if required to work without pay.
Since I’m fortunate to be able to do so, if the furlough continues, I was planning to hand out small demonomination Target gift cards next week to TSA.
Random acts of kindness lift my spirit too.
rolling_stone likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by awayIgo
Flying three days ago, I thanked them for coming to work ( since many have developed the flu.)All seemed grateful for the acknowledgement.
same experience in LAS last week - the agent seemed genuinely appreciative of my comment. showing up, when your colleagues aren't, to perform a thankless job, to get me where i need to go ... without receiving pay. yes - i do appreciate that.

i would never normally 'tip' a TSA agent, but in light of the current situation i had considered stopping for a gift card on the way to the airport. however, fearing such acts would be strictly considered bribery and might do more harm than good, i decided against it.

FWIW several airlines, hotels, airports, etc... are helping these folks out with food during shifts, and even pet food! some examples here: https://www.instagram.com/i_love_tsa/.
boss315 likes this.

Last edited by perkele; Jan 18, 2019 at 8:16 am
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:26 am

While doing things like handing out store-specific gift cards or providing food for screeners and their families, seems to be commendable, I feel that it serves only to enable the government to prolong the shutdown and pushes down the road the widespread protests that are needed to end this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.