Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Ait is the eventual replacement for the metal detector.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

I picked up this tidbit from C-Span's written transcript of Pekoske's testimony before John Thune's oversight committee last summer.

AIT IS THE EVENTUAL REPLACEMENT FOR THE METAL DETECTOR.
I don't have the time to sit and listen to the full recording of Pekoske's testimony to determine the context in which this comment was made or whether, in fact, it is accurate. If anyone else does, the recording may be found here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?451104...tion-oversight
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Advanced imaging technologies (AIT), in the form of millimeter wave systems and X-ray backscatter systems, have been in use for quite some time.

This 2012 TSA whitepaper explains them.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Complete removal of WTMD's is not likely unless WBI's are developed that doesn't require striking the "I surrender" pose. Either that or TSA will be doing a lot more pat downs in the future.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Advanced imaging technologies (AIT), in the form of millimeter wave systems and X-ray backscatter systems, have been in use for quite some time.

This 2012 TSA whitepaper explains them.
I realize that. However, it seems as if Pekoske is saying that WTMD are going to be replaced by AIT. If that should happen, then it seems to me that PreCheck would be worthless.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Funny how, when these monstrosities were originally deployed, they were touted as additional tools, and TSA assured the public that they would not replace the WTMD but merely supplement it.

Of course, within days of the AIT deployment, the HHMD disappeared from many c/p's, and any alerts on the WTMD were resolved by a full frisking (which in those days was not the full-body rubdown with repeated genital contact that we know and love today).

I can see TSA wanting to get rid of the WTMD in favor of AIT, especially if some newer, more invasive, or fancier (read: more expensive and totally incompatible with previous) flavor of AIT comes along. I believe I saw an article recently about a version of MMW that uses a wall rather than a tube, and allows the suspect, er, traveler, to stand with arms down but away from the body during the scan. I'm sure those devices will cost 20-30% more than the current MMW and TSA will absolutely die if they don't get several hundred of the new toys right away.
petaluma1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.