FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   U.S. citizen used NEXUS pass to smuggle 67 guns into Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1949992-u-s-citizen-used-nexus-pass-smuggle-67-guns-into-canada.html)

Badenoch Jan 8, 2019 5:14 pm

U.S. citizen used NEXUS pass to smuggle 67 guns into Canada

It wouldn't surprise me if this story causes Nexus holders coming into Canada to be more closely examined particularly at land crossings.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...to-canada.html

A Michigan man who lived an otherwise “exemplary” life says he didn’t appreciate the “possible serious consequences” of smuggling 67 firearms into Canada until after he was caught and watched last year’s spike in gun violence in the Toronto area.

“Over the last year, I’ve seen ... the impact of bringing firearms into Canada,” Randy Jackson, 35, told a judge Monday after pleading guilty to smuggling handguns across the border using his Nexus pass.

xobile Jan 9, 2019 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 30629525)
It wouldn't surprise me if this story causes Nexus holders coming into Canada to be more closely examined particularly at land crossings.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...to-canada.html

>>
The authorities looked into Jackson’s cross-border and gun purchasing history after Toronto police seized a loaded Glock 19 9 mm handgun. They determined he was the source, that he had a girlfriend and children in London, Ont., and was a regular traveller to Canada using a Nexus pass.

I think that's a key point, they presumably flagged him once they found a gun in Canada that they could link to him. The details are scarce in the article, but presumably they had him on a list to check once they found that gun, if only for questioning as to his relationship to it, how it got to Canada, etc. And once they pulled him in and did a search they may have found more guns. So there were extenuating circumstances that would have flagged him vs a regular NEXUS traveler. I'm sure CBSA/CBP are aware some people will try to abuse the program. There was a NEXUS couple in Philadelphia caught with 30 pounds of undeclared rice from India. Which is prohibited due to the potential presence of beetles. That's why they say you are always subject to a regular check.

GUWonder Jan 9, 2019 7:56 am

Originally Posted by xobile (Post 30631381)
>>
The authorities looked into Jackson’s cross-border and gun purchasing history after Toronto police seized a loaded Glock 19 9 mm handgun. They determined he was the source, that he had a girlfriend and children in London, Ont., and was a regular traveller to Canada using a Nexus pass.

I think that's a key point, they presumably flagged him once they found a gun in Canada that they could link to him. The details are scarce in the article, but presumably they had him on a list to check once they found that gun, if only for questioning as to his relationship to it, how it got to Canada, etc. And once they pulled him in and did a search they may have found more guns. So there were extenuating circumstances that would have flagged him vs a regular NEXUS traveler. I'm sure CBSA/CBP are aware some people will try to abuse the program. There was a NEXUS couple in Philadelphia caught with 30 pounds of undeclared rice from India. Which is prohibited due to the potential presence of beetles. That's why they say you are always subject to a regular check.

Rice from India is allowed for import into the US, but it’s to be declared under specific conditions and in specific ways and then it’s still subject to inspection.

https://asktheexpert.custhelp.com/ap...ited-states%3F

NEXUS and GE users are unlikely to be on top of all the possible border control regulations applicable, and that’s why questions asked of general travelers are also asked of “trusted travelers”. And even then there are people like the convicted gun smuggler and engage in criminal activity under cover of “trusted traveler”. And then there are the relatively clueless “trusted travelers” who don’t know what they are doing and get it wrong because of that.

xobile Jan 10, 2019 10:32 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30631718)

Rice from India is allowed for import into the US, but it’s to be declared under specific conditions and in specific ways and then it’s still subject to inspection.

https://asktheexpert.custhelp.com/ap...ited-states%3F

NEXUS and GE users are unlikely to be on top of all the possible border control regulations applicable, and that’s why questions asked of general travelers are also asked of “trusted travelers”. And even then there are people like the convicted gun smuggler and engage in criminal activity under cover of “trusted traveler”. And then there are the relatively clueless “trusted travelers” who don’t know what they are doing and get it wrong because of that.

Fair enough but I doubt they would have even been allowed to bring the rice as it was a personal, not commercial trip.

"Noncommercial imports and personal quantities of uncooked rice from khapra beetle-affected countries are prohibited."

GUWonder Jan 10, 2019 10:49 am

Originally Posted by xobile (Post 30637123)
Fair enough but I doubt they would have even been allowed to bring the rice as it was a personal, not commercial trip.

"Noncommercial imports and personal quantities of uncooked rice from khapra beetle-affected countries are prohibited."

Probably would have still been an issue with their trip to PHL, but there are people who do mix personal with business trips and may legally import into the US non-commercial quantities of uncooked rice from India. It's not the quantities that matter with regard to Indian rice, it's the compliance with regard to the the importation of the rice that matters as the import is restricted but not absolutely prohibited.

xobile Jan 11, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30637195)
Probably would have still been an issue with their trip to PHL, but there are people who do mix personal with business trips and may legally import into the US non-commercial quantities of uncooked rice from India. It's not the quantities that matter with regard to Indian rice, it's the compliance with regard to the the importation of the rice that matters as the import is restricted but not absolutely prohibited.

Fair point As long as it is declared is what matters. Do you know if people doing it like that bring back a bag or two of commercially packed rice, declare it and are allowed it or not depending on the judgement of the agent?

GUWonder Jan 11, 2019 7:46 am

Originally Posted by xobile (Post 30640895)
Fair point As long as it is declared is what matters. Do you know if people doing it like that bring back a bag or two of commercially packed rice, declare it and are allowed it or not depending on the judgement of the agent?

Sometimes they screen it and then decide to let it go; and probably sometimes they just fail to screen it and let it go even as they shouldn't. And then there are times where they definitely will reject it (and hopefully properly destroy it).

Ari Jan 11, 2019 10:41 am

Cash flows South. Dope flows North. Guns flow North and South from Second-Amendment-Land. Travelers (even trusted ones sometimes) transport them. Another day, another catch. Yawn.

Badenoch Jan 12, 2019 6:09 am

The smuggler in the original post was sentenced this week. 8 years in prison.

phltraveler Jan 13, 2019 1:06 pm

More than anything I'm surprised that purchasing 67 handguns from dealers in Michigan within the calendar year of 2017 was not a red flag for the US (to raise to Canada under NEXUS) and that the purchase history was only referenced once they caught him with a handgun in Toronto and decided to look back.