Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Chris Wallace claims that 4000 terrorists have been caught at airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chris Wallace claims that 4000 terrorists have been caught at airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by rickg523
Do you believe that level of nuance was understood by the average Fox News viewer? I don't.
They walked away from that show thinking that 4000 TERRORISTS have attacked America and the Democrats want to welcome them for their votes.
Im just directing my comments to the smart and nuanced posters here... and those that felt compelled to keep an accurate thread title....

I didnt want it to get political.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Secret arrests, secret detention, secret prosecution, secret imprisonments and perhaps other secret sentencing (including executions) for passengers at US airports? Great way to make for less accountable and less effective government, all while enabling the government to further hoodwink the public into wasting yet more money in the name of “security”.

May that never be the US. But if you want that kind of unaccountable government, you can get it by becoming part of Saudi Arabia.
It appears you misread my post. I indicated "actual terrorist" busts, not suspected. This is done all the time abroad, and even with local LEOs in some format, where they use someone caught doing something illegal to flip on someone higher up the food chain. I stand by my initial sentiment, if I can bust someone like say Osama bin Ladens courier (just using a popular figures name for discussion), and keep it somewhat quiet for a short period of time, and then apply pressure to that individual to move up the chain closer to Osama himself, I would do it in a heartbeat. If I am able to climb higher in that organization and take someone else out of their capabilities to support/conduct terror operations, it has a more far reaching impact. It could also provide current intel to military operators in the field that are most susceptible to some of the terror networks activities in theatre,

Personally, I have no interest in Saudi Arabia outside of a middling interest in seeing some of the historical sites. I will defer to your knowledge base about what kind of government they have in day to day operations, as I have never been there or experienced it.

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
It's sad that you would advocate secret arrests/proceedings by our government withing our borders. Think about what you are actually saying.
It appears that you also misread my post. Taking someone down that is an "actual terror" bust, keeping it quiet and then trying to flip that person on someone higher in the food chain is a standard practice by almost every government that I know of. It is also something used at the local level for almost every LEO organization that I know of.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 14, 2019 at 8:34 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
He was responding to Sarah Sanders who used the phrase "known or suspected terrorists" when trying attribute this risk to the southern border

Wallace then tried to fact check her, saying (and I am paraphrasing) 'this isnt just the border, it includes- and is in fact MOSTLY- at airports.

THE KEY is that Sanders used "suspected"...this means anyone on the TSA watch list that is engaged by TSA, is by definition "a suspected terrorist".

How many get arrested? 4? 40? (Oooh, better keep this secret, 'operational blah blah blah'.)

The title of this thread is (still) inaccurate. Wallace did not say they were all terrorists. He referred to Sanders 'known or suspected" categorization, he never called them all terrorists.
To add to this, Wallace actually clarified earlier in his segment that "special interest aliens are just people who have come from countries that have ever produced a terrorist, they’re not terrorists themselves,” and that “the state department says, quote, ‘there were no credible evidence of any terrorist coming across the border from Mexico.'”

Hard to stay on track when Sanders keeps throwing out random "statistics" and conflating the issue with new justifications for their actions, like saying they're also stopping drug traffickers, human trafficking, violent criminals, etc. None of which is necessarily untrue, but certainly out of context and intended to obfuscate.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
It appears you misread my post. I indicated "actual terrorist" busts, not suspected. This is done all the time abroad, and even with local LEOs in some format, where they use someone caught doing something illegal to flip on someone higher up the food chain. I stand by my initial sentiment, if I can bust someone like say Osama bin Ladens courier (just using a popular figures name for discussion), and keep it somewhat quiet for a short period of time, and then apply pressure to that individual to move up the chain closer to Osama himself, I would do it in a heartbeat. If I am able to climb higher in that organization and take someone else out of their capabilities to support/conduct terror operations, it has a more far reaching impact. It could also provide current intel to military operators in the field that are most susceptible to some of the terror networks activities in theatre,

Personally, I have no interest in Saudi Arabia outside of a middling interest in seeing some of the historical sites. I will defer to your knowledge base about what kind of government they have in day to day operations, as I have never been there or experienced it.

It appears that you also misread my post. Taking someone down that is an "actual terror" bust, keeping it quiet and then trying to flip that person on someone higher in the food chain is a standard practice by almost every government that I know of. It is also something used at the local level for almost every LEO organization that I know of.

How do you know someone is an "actual terrorist" until adjudicated?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Same way you spot them at the checkpoint: you suspend rights and assume guilt.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The class I am indicating is the known terrorist group. These are people that are to be arrested, and to begin the legal process of adjudicating them. Similar to squeezing a holder for a distributor. You make the arrest, but do not publicize it, so you can use any information you gain in real time to compliment other investigations or actionable intel.

**There are different rules for some known terrorists depending upon where they are discovered/apprehended - I am referring to someone that is a known terrorist, that would be caught checking into an American airport.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

The class I am indicating is the known terrorist group. These are people that are to be arrested, and to begin the legal process of adjudicating them. Similar to squeezing a holder for a distributor. You make the arrest, but do not publicize it, so you can use any information you gain in real time to compliment other investigations or actionable intel.

**There are different rules for some known terrorists depending upon where they are discovered/apprehended - I am referring to someone that is a known terrorist, that would be caught checking into an American airport.
I would submit that a smart known terrorist also knows how to get around any watch list.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I certainly didn’t misread your post.

US persons arrested by law enforcement in the US have constitutional rights to an attorney, and attorneys in the US are generally free to discuss their clients in public if their clients are ok with it. Even US terrorists in the US can’t be legally “disappeared” Saudi- or Pinochet-style while in the US.
chollie and petaluma1 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(bolding mine)

I have long maintained a personal belief that the organization (meaning DHS?TSA) would benefit much more from keeping "actual" terror busts quiet. I have no information that indicates that this is a practice for DHS/TSA, and I am not privy to info that confirms or denies the process as a part of the program - but I think that keeping actual terror busts quiet is a smarter path to walk in terms of intel opportunities.

I seriously doubt that one of these "known terrorist" will present at a TSA checkpoint or if they did that the typical TSA screener would recognize them. Face it, would a "known terrorist" try to infiltrate under their own identity, not change their appearance, nor have impeccable credentials?
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I would submit that a smart known terrorist also knows how to get around any watch list.
I will not dispute that many known terrorists can circumvent many security procedures. That being said, some have a bad day here and there, or someone that catches them has a good day. Nothing is 100% effective against everyone.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:03 am
Original Poster

I will not dispute that many known terrorists can circumvent many security procedures. That being said, some have a bad day here and there, or someone that catches them has a good day. Nothing is 100% effective against everyone.
But doesn't TSA claim it has to get it right every single time?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I certainly didn’t misread your post.

US persons arrested by law enforcement in the US have constitutional rights to an attorney, and attorneys in the US are generally free to discuss their clients in public if their clients are ok with it. Even US terrorists in the US can’t be legally “disappeared” Saudi- or Pinochet-style while in the US.
I am pretty sure you misread something, because I never said anything about "disappearing" someone. I am speaking of the same process used in accepted Law Enforcement arrests. Many times, it is a carrot and stick approach, where the bust happens, and the individual is given normal due process, but they are given an opportunity to roll on someone else further up the food chain. I am unsure how I can explain it any better to you. To be perfectly honest, I am actually leaning more towards the same type of situation for non US citizens, which is better than tossing them into GITMO (carrot and stick actually works better when there is a decent carrot). I am not certain whether you are just misunderstanding what I am saying, willfully misunderstanding what I am saying or just disagreeing with the way things operate in most LEO systems.

As an aside, most initial conversations with an attorney do not immediately result in the attorney running outside and organizing a press conference about their client - some do, but not most. In a case like a known terrorist being scooped up, most decent attorneys would listen to what happened, and then choose the best course of action for their client, and in a case where the best decision for their client is to shut up, and work the deal, then they usually pursue that course - again, not all attorneys do this, but it is the way I understand that the process works.

***In the interest of full disclosure, I am not an Attorney (I know, shocker right?), and do not presume to speak for them, but this is the way I understand most situations that involve counsel to work.

But doesn't TSA claim it has to get it right every single time?
I have never said that. I understand that nothing in this world is 100% effective, 100% of the time. To claim otherwise is a tad unrealistic.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 15, 2019 at 8:59 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I would also suggest that there may be some known homegrown terrorists who present at checkpoints. I'm not saying they are caught or that their movements are known to the authorities, but that they could show up at the airport.

Then again, is that really TSA's job to catch terrorists? Isn't TSA's job ostensibly to just screen passengers and luggage for "dangerous" items? They're not really there to screen identities and capture the bad guys.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I have never said that. I understand that nothing in this world is 100% effective, 100% of the time. To claim otherwise is a tad unrealistic.
I never claimed that you said it, but others in TSA have. As a matter of fact, I believe it is inculcated into screeners at the training academy.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I would also suggest that there may be some known homegrown terrorists who present at checkpoints. I'm not saying they are caught or that their movements are known to the authorities, but that they could show up at the airport.

Then again, is that really TSA's job to catch terrorists? Isn't TSA's job ostensibly to just screen passengers and luggage for "dangerous" items? They're not really there to screen identities and capture the bad guys.
Agreed. Homegrown terrorists is a growth enterprise right now. The number of people that are or are siding with homegrown terrorists has increased consistently over the last 30 years. It stands to reason that some of them come through the airports at some point.

Ahhh, now here is the challenging point. TSA is primarily there to prevent WEI from getting on planes. There are also other things that TSA has to report illegal items, and then there are other things that most people that deal with the public are asked to report - things like suspicious behavior, someone doing illegal things, unauthorized access to secured areas. The line between being good employees that are aware of their surroundings and that report things that could possibly indicate nefarious activity, and employees that are overbearing and just report things for the wrong reasons, is a balancing act. As someone working in security, I want our workforce to be aware of what is happening around them, and to notice when something is going on around them - behavioral awareness, knowing what is a regular occurrence at their workspace, and recognizing when something else is happening that could be problematic... I also want our workforce to have the interpersonal skills to recognize that just because something is not what normally happens, does not mean it carries ill intent. We should see things that happen, approach them in a professional way, and then act accordingly - sadly, based upon the stories I read, we do not always meet that bar.

I never claimed that you said it, but others in TSA have. As a matter of fact, I believe it is inculcated into screeners at the training academy.
I have always felt that the actual message they try to build in is to try and get everything right, every time - which is an excellent goal to strive for, regardless of the fact that it will not always be met. The primary message I have always gotten from all of our training is to mitigate the threat, while being professional. I can not say that some folks have not published other types of statements, but I have always felt that pushing unrealistic messages has a way of hurting your messaging capability.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:00 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.