Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Chris Wallace claims that 4000 terrorists have been caught at airports

Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

"Wait wait wait, I know the statistic," he said. "I didn't know if you were going to use it, but I studied up on this. You know where those 4,000 people, where they're captured? Airports. Airports."
https://taskandpurpose.com/sanders-terrorists-border

If this is true, why have we not heard about it from DHS/TSA? If this is true, it seems to also mean that our "partners" at foreign airports aren't doing their jobs in keeping terrorists off flights.

My age is showing. The title of the thread needs to be changed to Chris Wallace.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 7, 2019 at 7:36 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by petaluma1
My age is showing. The title of the thread needs to be changed to Chris Wallace.
Done. I would have noticed it earlier had you sent an alert by clicking on the icon at the bottom left of your post.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most of those “4000” “known or suspected terrorists” at airports aren’t being arrested and prosecuted in the US by US authorities for terrorist activity, right? Right.

petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta, United
Read the WaPo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.17043de83c4d

Wallace actually called BS on the claims.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:51 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I have my duct tape so I feel safe.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:30 am

I did some research. This number applies mostly to people caught with toothpaste, liquids, or aerosols.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yandosan
I did some research. This number applies mostly to people caught with toothpaste, liquids, or aerosols.
Well there's your terrorist! Figures given how TSA treats passengers.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Read the WaPo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.17043de83c4d

Wallace actually called BS on the claims.
“But they’re not coming across the southern border, Sarah, they’re coming and they’re being stopped at airports,” he said. Sanders replied: “They’re coming a number of ways. They’re certainly — I’m not disagreeing with you that they’re coming through airports."
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by petaluma1
https://taskandpurpose.com/sanders-terrorists-border

If this is true, why have we not heard about it from DHS/TSA? If this is true, it seems to also mean that our "partners" at foreign airports aren't doing their jobs in keeping terrorists off flights.

(bolding mine)

I have long maintained a personal belief that the organization (meaning DHS?TSA) would benefit much more from keeping "actual" terror busts quiet. I have no information that indicates that this is a practice for DHS/TSA, and I am not privy to info that confirms or denies the process as a part of the program - but I think that keeping actual terror busts quiet is a smarter path to walk in terms of intel opportunities.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
(bolding mine)

I have long maintained a personal belief that the organization (meaning DHS?TSA) would benefit much more from keeping "actual" terror busts quiet. I have no information that indicates that this is a practice for DHS/TSA, and I am not privy to info that confirms or denies the process as a part of the program - but I think that keeping actual terror busts quiet is a smarter path to walk in terms of intel opportunities.
I agree to an extent but there is a benefit by showing that the "organization" is effective.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended

(bolding mine)

Secret arrests, secret detention, secret prosecution, secret imprisonments and perhaps other secret sentencing (including executions) for passengers at US airports? Great way to make for less accountable and less effective government, all while enabling the government to further hoodwink the public into wasting yet more money in the name of “security”.

May that never be the US. But if you want that kind of unaccountable government, you can get it by becoming part of Saudi Arabia.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:07 am
Suspended

There are strong indications that the plurality of the “4000” are US persons, as in citizens or legal residents of the US.

Excluding US persons from protection under the US Constitution when dealing with US authorities? Doesn’t DHS have it’s employees take an oath to the US Constitution? Either way, maybe they take their signs from the top and don’t really care to uphold the US Constitution if they can get away with whatever they want to do.
:D!, petaluma1, Spiff and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:01 pm

(bolding mine)

It's sad that you would advocate secret arrests/proceedings by our government withing our borders. Think about what you are actually saying.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
He was responding to Sarah Sanders who used the phrase "known or suspected terrorists" when trying attribute this risk to the southern border

Wallace then tried to fact check her, saying (and I am paraphrasing) 'this isnt just the border, it includes- and is in fact MOSTLY- at airports.

THE KEY is that Sanders used "suspected"...this means anyone on the TSA watch list that is engaged by TSA, is by definition "a suspected terrorist".

How many get arrested? 4? 40? (Oooh, better keep this secret, 'operational blah blah blah'.)

The title of this thread is (still) inaccurate. Wallace did not say they were all terrorists. He referred to Sanders 'known or suspected" categorization, he never called them all terrorists.
gobluetwo likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
He was responding to Sarah Sanders who used the phrase "known or suspected terrorists" when trying attribute this risk to the southern border

Wallace then tried to fact check her, saying (and I am paraphrasing) 'this isnt just the border, it includes- and is in fact MOSTLY- at airports.

THE KEY is that Sanders used "suspected"...this means anyone on the TSA watch list that is engaged by TSA, is by definition "a suspected terrorist".

How many get arrested? 4? 40? (Oooh, better keep this secret, 'operational blah blah blah'.)

The title of this thread is (still) inaccurate. Wallace did not say they were all terrorists. He referred to Sanders 'known or suspected" categorization, he never called them all terrorists.
Do you believe that level of nuance was understood by the average Fox News viewer? I don't.
They walked away from that show thinking that 4000 TERRORISTS have attacked America and the Democrats want to welcome them for their votes.
petaluma1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.