Wiki Posts
Search

TSA slowdown / sickout

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txrus
MSNBC just now reporting one screener, 16 years on the job, is claiming he 'can't in good conscience...go to work...screen the bags and pax knowing that I might be sending them to their death'.

Good grief.
LOL. That’s hilarious.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
MSNBC just now reporting one screener, 16 years on the job, is claiming he 'can't in good conscience...go to work...screen the bags and pax knowing that I might be sending them to their death'.

Good grief.
Certainly over dramatic, but there are legitimate concerns being raised by law enforcement and security professionals.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Do you not believe that a major interruption to air travel wouldn't help end this situation. This may be one of those times where TSA screeners hold a pretty big stick.
Originally Posted by Often1
Shutting down the commercial aviation system will bring unbearable pressure relatively immediately.
In the event of a serious disruption to air travel resulting from a months-long shutdown, I wonder if the airlines/airports could in a matter of days or weeks cobble together a private replacement for TSA. Instead of handing over the ticket surcharge for TSA to the (shut down) feds, start hiring contractors. Strip the process down to basic screening for real WEI. The truth is a better-than-pre-9/11 system could be created using the existing TSA equipment and much lower staffing levels than TSA (get rid of the needless gropes, BDOs, overzealous ID checkers, war on water, general standing around, etc.). And it might finally force the conversation regarding 9/11 not being caused by failure of airline security.

Yes I know extremely it's unlikely. But my position for years has been that the TSA needs to be disbanded with aviation-passenger security re-booted from scratch. A prolonged shutdown is a potential trigger for that.
Spiff, GUWonder and jfunk138 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:22 pm
Suspended

A big percentage of TSA workers won’t even be needed once airports go to biometric gates. Scan your ID and/or boarding pass, scan a thumbprint, and that’s it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
A big percentage of TSA workers won’t even be needed once airports go to biometric gates. Scan your ID and/or boarding pass, scan a thumbprint, and that’s it.
How would that eliminate or reduce the need for security screening?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

How would that eliminate or reduce the need for security screening?
I didn’t say it would “eliminate or reduce the need for security screening.” I said it would reduce the need for TSA workers.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami

I didn’t say it would “eliminate or reduce the need for security screening.” I said it would reduce the need for TSA workers.
How would security screening be accomplished?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

The same way it is now, but without a bunch of TSA workers verifying IDs and boarding passes by hand.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by studentff
In the event of a serious disruption to air travel resulting from a months-long shutdown, I wonder if the airlines/airports could in a matter of days or weeks cobble together a private replacement for TSA. Instead of handing over the ticket surcharge for TSA to the (shut down) feds, start hiring contractors. Strip the process down to basic screening for real WEI. The truth is a better-than-pre-9/11 system could be created using the existing TSA equipment and much lower staffing levels than TSA (get rid of the needless gropes, BDOs, overzealous ID checkers, war on water, general standing around, etc.). And it might finally force the conversation regarding 9/11 not being caused by failure of airline security.

Yes I know extremely it's unlikely. But my position for years has been that the TSA needs to be disbanded with aviation-passenger security re-booted from scratch. A prolonged shutdown is a potential trigger for that.
I agree with you completely about the need for a procedural reboot.

TSA's problem has never had anything to do with WHO does the screening. It's always been about HOW the screening is accomplished. Those who have been calling for privatization for years have consistently missed the fact that SFO, the largest US airport with private screeners, has the second worst reputation in the nation behind PHX. And the reason is simple - they're not TSA, but they follow all of TSA's rules. It's the rules that need to change, not who enforces them.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I agree with you completely about the need for a procedural reboot.

TSA's problem has never had anything to do with WHO does the screening. It's always been about HOW the screening is accomplished. Those who have been calling for privatization for years have consistently missed the fact that SFO, the largest US airport with private screeners, has the second worst reputation in the nation behind PHX. And the reason is simple - they're not TSA, but they follow all of TSA's rules. It's the rules that need to change, not who enforces them.
Both need to change, as I see it.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
Covenant Security, for example, does screening at SFO and a number of regional airports. They provide other security services at several big airports including JFK, LGA, EWR, ORD, ATL, and IAD.

I imagine they could hire up, add some overtime, move employees from other screening assignments, etc. reasonably quickly, but: are the Feds still doing background checks? Also is the TSA willing (or able) to approve new screening partners? Even if the government weren't shutdown, the normal process for this takes a year.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All fascinating topics, but not practical in the near to mid-term.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
All fascinating topics, but not practical in the near to mid-term.
Very true, but if I were an airline or airport executive, I’d want to be thinking about what to do if the shutdown continues indefinitely.

Might not matter, though if there’s nobody to inspect new or repaired planes, nobody to process medical certificates, etc.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen any reports about the call out numbers from TSA the last few days. Suspect the numbers will be increasing with time, published or not. TSA and ATC workers are uniquely positioned to make a statement. Is now the time?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen any reports about the call out numbers from TSA the last few days. Suspect the numbers will be increasing with time, published or not. TSA and ATC workers are uniquely positioned to make a statement. Is now the time?
The few days before the superbowl is the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.