DCA TSA: Your Pie Can't Fly

Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
DCA TSA: Your Pie Can't Fly

My sister in law baked me a banana cream pie. It's your standard type of pie: graham cracker crust, bananas and cream. I had eaten one slice then packed up the rest to take home to RDU. Unfortunately, DCA TSA determined this cream was "too much of a liquid". I said this was ridiculous and that pie was a food and the agent said in a baffling argument "so is water". I said by his argument I couldn't take a meatball sub through security and he said that was true as marinara was a liquid too.

So I had to throw out 7/8s of a pie. Utterly ridiculous.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
I hope you made sure the pie was totally trashed and inedible!
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
My sister in law baked me a banana cream pie. It's your standard type of pie: graham cracker crust, bananas and cream. I had eaten one slice then packed up the rest to take home to RDU. Unfortunately, DCA TSA determined this cream was "too much of a liquid". I said this was ridiculous and that pie was a food and the agent said in a baffling argument "so is water". I said by his argument I couldn't take a meatball sub through security and he said that was true as marinara was a liquid too.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...pies-and-cakes

I hope you did as the poster above said and made sure it was not edible. If what the screener said was so, then few pies would ever be allowed through a checkpoint. However, "screener discretion" prevails.

That said, here's a perfect example of TSA nonsense regarding pies and cakes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26188997-post1.html

Why don't you file a complaint with the DHS IG: https://hotline.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php Name names if you can.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I've noted before, an adult human is about 60% water (kids and babies even more)...not sure how that compares to the liquid ratio of a cream pie filling, but don't let TSA know or they'll ban all human beings as being a security risk!
GUWonder and Spiff like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

DCA’s TSA are the only characters whom I have ever seen seize travel size Tide liquid laundry detergent pouches that fit into the 3-1-1 Kippie bag rule bags.

DCA TSA: so close to management HQ and yet so far from being closely managed.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: QF WP
If it makes you feel better I had a bar of soap taken off me at Heathrow because “when it melts it will be a liquid”.

i did point out that this was true of every substance on earth but to no avail
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I would have stepped out of line, emptied out my Kippie bag and put the largest slice possible in there. Then ate a slice or two. For giggles, file a claim for a replacement pie.
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You can file a complaint to TSA on Facebook. Go to AskTSA and talk to them. Leave your PM to TSA.

Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/AskTSA/
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

As stupid as this is, it's at least consistent with previous TSA stupidities, such as prohibiting peanut butter and Nutella, and cupcakes in jars, because they are "gel-like" and can conform to the container.

I hate it, but let's be honest, a banana cream pie is certainly gel-like and the cream definitely conforms to the container (the crust).

What we need to do is figure out some strategy for ending the ridiculous war on LGAs. TSA's fondness for fancy electronic gizmos may actually work in our favor if they ever get those liquid screening machines they were drooling over a few years back, so they can loosen the restrictions on liquid quantities and simply start screening the darn things for explosives.

Of course, I won't be holding my breath on that one. Or on any other potentially sense-making moves by TSA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
As stupid as this is, it's at least consistent with previous TSA stupidities, such as prohibiting peanut butter and Nutella, and cupcakes in jars, because they are "gel-like" and can conform to the container.

I hate it, but let's be honest, a banana cream pie is certainly gel-like and the cream definitely conforms to the container (the crust).

What we need to do is figure out some strategy for ending the ridiculous war on LGAs. TSA's fondness for fancy electronic gizmos may actually work in our favor if they ever get those liquid screening machines they were drooling over a few years back, so they can loosen the restrictions on liquid quantities and simply start screening the darn things for explosives.

Of course, I won't be holding my breath on that one. Or on any other potentially sense-making moves by TSA.
Except to the best of my knowledge, some TSOs regularly and knowingly allow pumpkin pies to pass at Thanksgiving.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by WillCAD
What we need to do is figure out some strategy for ending the ridiculous war on LGAs.
Come on now, that's just pie-in-the-sky thinking!

But seriously I fully agree with you. Long past time for doing so.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:26 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
You missed a perfect opportunity to throw a pie into the face of a TSA agent. The applause would have been spectacular.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
You missed a perfect opportunity to throw a pie into the face of a TSA agent. The applause would have been spectacular.
I understand how satisfying delivering the pie to the screener as you state but would it be worth the assault charge and trip to jail?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I would have just simply ate as much of the pie as I could before throwing it out.
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Originally Posted by daniellam
I would have just simply ate as much of the pie as I could before throwing it out.
This would have been a fitting ending:

84fiero and WillCAD like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.