Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

NYPD roll out "randomly selected" metal detector in passage between Times Square & PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYPD roll out "randomly selected" metal detector in passage between Times Square & PA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)

NYPD Tests Out Metal Detectors In The Subway: Gothamist

On the anniversary of a bombing in the passage between the Times Square & Port Authority Subway stations the NYPD has put one, singular, metal detector where travelers will be randomly selected for scanning and since everyone will trigger with everyday items on them a freedom pat down.

Gothamist made a joke about MTA selling PreCheck.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where's the search warrant?
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I'm rather curious about the legality of this as well.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
I'm rather curious about the legality of this as well.
I imagine that, as with the bag checks, you'll be told it's legal because you can avoid it by leaving the station and going to another station to board a train.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
And what happens to anyone who is gutsy enough (or unlucky enough) to be traveling without a valid government picture ID?

Do you have to produce ID on demand in NYC?

Last edited by chollie; Dec 16, 2018 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have little doubt that they NYC police agencies think doing this is ok. I don't know how NYC police agencies are laid out but guessing they have a Transit Police agency. NYPD certainly had no problem with Stop and Frisk. I'm afraid that we citizens have been complacent of our freedoms for so long that the police state believes it can do anything they like.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:01 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I imagine that, as with the bag checks, you'll be told it's legal because you can avoid it by leaving the station and going to another station to board a train.
The only way to avoid the passageway/connector is to exit the system.
If you are connecting between A, C, E and 7, R, Q, N that costs an extra fare. PA Bus Terminal pax can leave the system and exit/enter PABT by walking on the street, not "nice" with inclement weather.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:45 pm

"Do you have to produce ID on demand in NYC?"
I think in most states there has to be RAS (reasonable articulable suspicion) that a crime has been committed or is about to be committed.
I've seen lots of videos on youtube with cops saying you have to carry your papers (please!) at all times but that's hogwash.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by nrr
The only way to avoid the passageway/connector is to exit the system.
If you are connecting between A, C, E and 7, R, Q, N that costs an extra fare. PA Bus Terminal pax can leave the system and exit/enter PABT by walking on the street, not "nice" with inclement weather.
Thanks. That's for this particular placement, however. Didn't the article say units would be used in other stations as well?

BTW, a quote from one of the other articles I read was:

Another commenter noted that the officers in the photo appear to be guarding the new device "in case anyone tries to use it."
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Thanks. That's for this particular placement, however. Didn't the article say units would be used in other stations as well?

BTW, a quote from one of the other articles I read was:

How many police are dedicated to this thing? I'm counting around 9 in this picture. Isn't that a waste of police officers who should be out on the streets? Something stinks to high heaven about this. Wonder how much money DHS is funneling to the NYPD?
Spiff, Yoshi212 and petaluma1 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How many police are dedicated to this thing? I'm counting around 9 in this picture. Isn't that a waste of police officers who should be out on the streets? Something stinks to high heaven about this. Wonder how much money DHS is funneling to the NYPD?
New York City will receive $178 million under the Urban Areas Security Initiative (UASI) to update emergency preparedness equipment and programs like the New York City Police Department’s (NYPD) Critical Response Command, the New York City Fire Department’s (FDNY) active shooter training program, and radiological detection tools. That marks a $627,000 increase in UASI funding from the previous year.
DHS funds to NYC

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 18, 2018 at 10:08 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:10 am

"How many police are dedicated to this thing? I'm counting around 9 in this picture. Isn't that a waste of police officers who should be out on the streets?"

Good point. File under "Security Theater."
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yandosan
"How many police are dedicated to this thing? I'm counting around 9 in this picture. Isn't that a waste of police officers who should be out on the streets?"

Good point. File under "Security Theater."
When I watched the videos, I noticed two young people wearing backpacks loaded to the gills who went through without a beep. A woman carrying a small purse set it off. The video conveniently cut off before you could see what the cops did to her afterwarda.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't like security is very tight. Let it loose. Get rid of it! Just stay away from NYPD or anybody else. That won't be necessary!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

When I watched the videos, I noticed two young people wearing backpacks loaded to the gills who went through without a beep. A woman carrying a small purse set it off. The video conveniently cut off before you could see what the cops did to her afterwarda.
It seemed to me as if they didn't realize it had beeped; the cop directing people into it didn't react at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.