Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

PreCheck closed because TSA does not have enough people to do their job

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PreCheck closed because TSA does not have enough people to do their job

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by KDS
Perhaps... however, the anger expressed by TSA people when I won't incriminate myself by answering the question is inexcusable. And as a frequent frequent flyer, my pockets are always empty -- except for air. And, I do not get asked this stupid question outside the USA -- and those security people do not get visibly angry about the process nor with the travelers.
I agree with you 100%. The passenger is the one that loses additional time, as a TSO, we are there for a shift, so it doesnt have any impact on me, and there is simply no excuse for unprofessional behavior. They come through with items that alarm the WTMD - cell phones, keys $4.38 in various coins, new shoes with a metal shank, knee braces with metal parts, and so on.

Again, I understand your frustration, but in all fairness, TSOs see frequent travelers do the exact same thing that infrequent travelers do every day.

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Maybe for the standard line but what's their excuse for the Pre line? Someone who has Pre knows the procedure and clearly isn't their first time flying. I have even got into the habit of starting to clear out my pockets even while waiting in line for the first agent to scan the boarding pass and check ID. So when I get to the belt, I just put bags in the bin and I'm done. Yet I still get some agents from time to time asking if I'm hiding something in pockets or have liquids.
Precheck passengers come through with stuff that alarms the WTMD all day, asking if you have things is a normal part of the process. Asking about liquids is normal as well, because Precheck (and standard passengers) come through with liquids and gels larger than the approved size every day.

I make no excuses for any unprofessional behavior, it is simply unacceptable.
​​​
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
One reason that multiple TSOs ask you the same questions repeatedly, is because they consistently have people tell them "No, my pockets are empty", only to have that passenger alarm in five areas that correspond to pockets, and when they begin the pat down to clear those areas, they pull out a cell phone, a wallet 4 inches thick, a set of keys, $4.38 in various coins, a coin purse that is full, a 4 oz bottle of axe body spray and half a ham sandwich. I understand you can sometimes get frustrated that they may ask you questions multiple times, but there is an articulable reason behind it.
But does asking repeatedly change their answer??
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This.

Make direct eye contact, and ask me once. That is enough.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:33 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by chollie
This.

Make direct eye contact, and ask me once. That is enough.
Or, let the machine do its "job" and "find" the "bad, bad, bad" stuff in the pockets. After all, I've had my bare arm patted down when a MMW "alarmed" on my bare forearm. Isn't that why TSOs are there -- to "confirm" any "alarmed" areas? Believe me, more time is wasted by " barking" and "confronting" and "trying to intimidate" (always in English even in the international terminals) the poor, defenseless, "uninformed" passenger.

If the dumb machine "alarms" on my pocket, then handle it. If it doesn't, less time will be used than all the time that you "hold" me up for stupid pocket questions when they're empty.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by KDS
Or, let the machine do its "job" and "find" the "bad, bad, bad" stuff in the pockets. After all, I've had my bare arm patted down when a MMW "alarmed" on my bare forearm. Isn't that why TSOs are there -- to "confirm" any "alarmed" areas? Believe me, more time is wasted by " barking" and "confronting" and "trying to intimidate" (always in English even in the international terminals) the poor, defenseless, "uninformed" passenger.

If the dumb machine "alarms" on my pocket, then handle it. If it doesn't, less time will be used than all the time that you "hold" me up for stupid pocket questions when they're empty.
Your post reminded me that at checkpoints outside the US, for some reason, no one is yelling repeatedly about emptying pockets and yet security functions much more smoothly than in the US.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Your post reminded me that at checkpoints outside the US, for some reason, no one is yelling repeatedly about emptying pockets and yet security functions much more smoothly than in the US.
It's probably because they are not "Security Experts"!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's probably because they are not "Security Experts"!
I think it's because outside the US, airport security trains their own people, instead of trying to 'train' pax to meet a constantly changing set of expectations.
Spiff, petaluma1 and rustykettel like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:56 pm

I do not make a practice of asking more than once or twice (if it seems they may not have heard or understood me), however, the stages have yielded different answers.

TSO 1 - "Do you have anything in your pockets?"
Passenger - "no"
TSO 2 - DO you have anything in your pockets, Sir?"
Passenger - "no"
TSO 3 - "Sir, do you have something in your rear left pocket?"
Passenger - "Just my wallet"

So, technically, I would guess the answer to your question is actually yes - sometimes.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I do not make a practice of asking more than once or twice (if it seems they may not have heard or understood me), however, the stages have yielded different answers.

TSO 1 - "Do you have anything in your pockets?"
Passenger - "no"
TSO 2 - DO you have anything in your pockets, Sir?"
Passenger - "no"
TSO 3 - "Sir, do you have something in your rear left pocket?"
Passenger - "Just my wallet"

So, technically, I would guess the answer to your question is actually yes - sometimes.
But that's a different question. You made them think specifically of the pocket in question and thus more likely to think of what's in it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:08 pm

But that's a different question. You made them think specifically of the pocket in question and thus more likely to think of what's in it.
Sometimes when they ask that same question for the fifth time, instead of once again going through the show of patting my non-existent pockets, I feel like grabbing myself like Michael Jackson - just to reassure the TSO that I've checked to make sure I didn't leave something concealed in my 'resistance' area.

Once again, for those of us who regularly transit non-US checkpoints, this is a question I don't recall ever being asked even once at an overseas checkpoint.

Staying to the thread topic: non-US airport staffing levels are lower than US staffing levels in part because the function of exhorting the pax one or more times to empty his/her pockets does not exist.

One less body, lots less noise pollution, but then again, we're probably much faster here in the US, right? Oh wait, we're not.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 5, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:14 am

Understood, but by the time I am asking a specific question, we are past the point where additional screening is required - at this point, we have an alarm, and the alarm must be resolved. The point of asking folks the same questions multiple times through their transit, is to lessen the chance of them having additional screening - (and just to tie it back to the OP, this generates more time in the checkpoint, as well as additional screening procedures, which requires a person to do). We (TSOs) consistently ask the same questions because passengers continue to answer "No", while they have plenty of items in their pockets. I am not going to stop asking the questions, because sometimes, a passenger actually stops and says "yup, wallet" or "change" or "you mean my cell phone? But that is not metal". We consistently ask, because passengers from all walks of life, consistently do the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.