FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Advise when taking bag for a check? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1940878-advise-when-taking-bag-check.html)

petaluma1 Nov 16, 2018 8:50 am

Advise when taking bag for a check?

Is TSA still required to notify passengers when they are going to do a bag check, most especially when they are taking a bag a distance away from its owner?

KDS Nov 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 30436116)
Is TSA still required to notify passengers when they are going to do a bag check, most especially when they are taking a bag a distance away from its owner?

"Required"? The TSA believes it's not required to do anything other than what it wants to do. The TSA info-mercial website says you can have your bags in sight while undergoing the "let's get acquainted" security activities, and I always insist on this. I also insist on following my bag wherever it goes, even if it means raising my voice to bring attention to the situation when a TSA person is moving my bag somewhere and I'm not there.

One cannot be shy or meek when in a TSA checkpoint with those "agents".

FlyingUnderTheRadar Nov 17, 2018 7:26 pm

The last time that happened the TSO want me to identify my bags. I did and request they put clean gloves on before handing my bags. The TSO flipped out. At which point I said we are done and to bring in a supervisor. Later, the ORD FSD and I had a nice chat.

BSBD Nov 18, 2018 10:34 am

I was separated from my carry-on bag in ATL a few years ago, due to being „randomly“ selected for a quota alarm. I pointed this out to the TSA agent closest to me. He ignored me. I raised my voice - he turned his back on me. I shouted at him, and he threatened me with calling the police for „creating a disturbance.“. I told him, „Call the police here, or get your supervisor.“.

Several minutes later, a three-striper showed up, asked me what was wrong, then walked me through a gate, and did the „random“screen himself in front of my bag, while apologizing for the behavior of the first TSA clerk. The three-striper told me the first clerk was new on the job, asked me for my understanding, and told me he would educate the newbie.

While I appreciated his response, it still didn’t change the fact that my luggage was out of my view for at least 8 or 9 minutes - long enough that theft/pilferage could have easily occurred.

saizai Nov 22, 2018 5:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 30440780)
The last time that happened the TSO want me to identify my bags. I did and request they put clean gloves on before handing my bags. The TSO flipped out. At which point I said we are done and to bring in a supervisor. Later, the ORD FSD and I had a nice chat.

Please finish this story. ;)

FlyingUnderTheRadar Nov 22, 2018 9:27 am

Originally Posted by saizai (Post 30455810)
Please finish this story. ;)

Here is my written complaint to the ORD FSD:

Dear Ms. Petrowsky,

I am writing you to report an incident that occurred ... between myself on one of your TSOs.

After going through the WMD, I was flagged for a "random" alarm. After declining to use AIT, I requested a pat-down. At that point, a single stripe male TSO came to perform the pat-down. I followed him through the "gate" to end of the x-ray conveyor area. At that point the TSO asked me to identify my items which I did.

In many previous cases were a pat-down is performed my personal items have been collected by the TSO and set aside. When that is done I request clean gloves. I made that request of the TSO. When it appeared that he was not going honor my request, I again asked for clean gloves before he handled my personal items.

After my second request the TSO became very verbose, making statements that among others that I was not treating him with respect. When he finished his tirade I asked for a supervisor. I said nothing more to the TSO. Within a minute, a three stripe TSO appeared on the scene at which point the single stripe TSO immediately accused me of being uncooperative.

At that point the three striper took over and conducted the pat-down in the professional manner in which I expect and have received countless other times. When the pat-down was completed I briefly explained my side of the incident and told him to "pull the tapes." The TSO said nothing more.

My complaint is as follows. The single stripe TSO, male approximately 35 years old, black hair, dark complexion, approximately 5'10", 190 lbs was very combative. A request to use clean gloves is SOP. If the TSO had a problem with my request then they need learn to figure out how to deal with the public better. I have never had a TSO decline to change their gloves even after noting that they had just put new gloves on before coming to my location.

The TSO's whole attitude was simply egregious. I not sure how a request for clean gloves is being disrespectful or uncooperative. He even went so to say he had "witnesses" which is why I told the three striper to pull the tapes.

While the three stripe TSO, 35 year old male, blond/brown hair approximately 5'8" conducted the pat-down professionally, he did not seemed very interested in the incident even after I briefly related my side of the incident to him. I can only assume that this was not the first incident with the other TSO.

I would have asked for names and taken pictures but at that point given the attitude I felt it best to leave the area and proceed to my gate. While I realize my description of the incident and the TSOs involved may be inadequate for personal corrective action I think that it is worth reminding the front line TSOs that they are dealing with the public and if a request for clean gloves is bothersome they need to find a new line of work. Further, if a superior is requested that they should followup with the PAX as to why they were requested.

Thank you for your time. If you have any additional questions please feel to contact me.
Here is their initial response:

Thank you for sharing your experience at O'Hare International Airport and I'm sorry that you were not treated with more dignity during your travels.

With the date, time and location you provided, I was able to retrieve the video coverage of the Checkpoint in Terminal 2 and could identify the TSO and Supervisor with whom you interacted. This will allow specific feedback for these officers with the information you provided as well as create a learning opportunity for the team. If you care to share the specific comments made during the screening process I am interested in knowing what was said. If you prefer to talk with someone directly, you may contact Customer Service Manager Owen Winder at 773.377.1215.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience because it allows us to focus on specific improvements.

Regards,

Kathleen Petrowsky
Federal Security Director
O'Hare International Airport
Transportation Security Administration
There was some additional followup.

petaluma1 Nov 22, 2018 9:30 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 30456347)
Here is my written complaint to the ORD FSD:

Is there a list of FSD's that the general public can access?

FlyingUnderTheRadar Nov 22, 2018 9:42 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 30456353)
Is there a list of FSD's that the general public can access?

I do not know. I happen to have a contact at my local TSA airport who is very helpful. They have supplied me with names and emails as a courtesy on multiple occasions. If I did not have that contact I would call the airport business office and request it through them. I did that to get the contact details for Delta's regional manager.