FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   SEA implements Visitor Pass program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1939750-sea-implements-visitor-pass-program.html)

dave1013 Nov 9, 2018 11:15 am

SEA implements Visitor Pass program

Sea-Tac tests allowing visitors beyond security checkpoints in attempt to recreate pre-9/11 airport experience

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...rt-experience/

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is trying out a plan to allow nontravelers to once again access passenger-only areas that lie beyond the security checkpoints run by the federal government. That would make it among the first airports in the nation to reintroduce the practice since it was suspended in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

The pilot initiative dubbed the “Visitor Pass Program,” starts Friday, allowing those without tickets to reach the domestic-travel gates provided they meet Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements, according to an emailed statement from the airport.

petaluma1 Nov 9, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 30412265)
Sea-Tac tests allowing visitors beyond security checkpoints in attempt to recreate pre-9/11 airport experience

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport is trying out a plan to allow nontravelers to once again access passenger-only areas that lie beyond the security checkpoints run by the federal government. That would make it among the first airports in the nation to reintroduce the practice since it was suspended in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

The pilot initiative dubbed the “Visitor Pass Program,” starts Friday, allowing those without tickets to reach the domestic-travel gates provided they meet Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements, according to an emailed statement from the airport.

Strange because SEA-TAC is really short on screeners and TSA just had a hiring event last weekend in an attempt to get more on board.

The goal is to have many of them onboard ahead of the busy holiday travel season.
https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...t-sound-region

Fat chance that will even happen since the holiday travel season starts in about 10 days.

GUWonder Nov 9, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 30412265)

Didn’t some airport east of the Mississippi try this some years back?

jfunk138 Nov 9, 2018 11:31 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30412304)

PIT has it. myPITpass - Pittsburgh International Airport

FlyingHoustonian Nov 9, 2018 11:36 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30412304)

You can do this at PIT now due to Pittsburgh's near shopping mall like experience post hub slowdown. Been that way for a while.

Edit-I see someone beat me while I was typing.

GUWonder Nov 9, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 30412347)
You can do this at PIT now due to Pittsburgh's near shopping mall like experience post hub slowdown. Been that way for a while.

Edit-I see someone beat me while I was typing.

Thanks.

I was thinking it was PIT — which USAir (now AA) management hung out to dry — but wasn’t sure since I’ve not used that airport as an O airport in over a decade. Any other airports east of the Mississippi that have done this?

Boggie Dog Nov 9, 2018 1:18 pm

I don't have a problem with this unless it is shown to delay ticketed travelers.

GUWonder Nov 9, 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 30412726)
I don't have a problem with this unless it is shown to delay ticketed travelers.

I don't have a problem with this even if it is shown to delay ticketed travelers. The key to speeding up things is to stop the TSA travel document checking and to make PreCheck-type at-airport screening the default screening for the vast majority of people at the screening checkpoint.

Boggie Dog Nov 9, 2018 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30412833)
I don't have a problem with this even if it is shown to delay ticketed travelers. The key to speeding up things is to stop the TSA travel document checking and to make PreCheck-type at-airport screening the default screening for the vast majority of people at the screening checkpoint.

Agree completely with ending TDC and using Pre Check style screening as the default initial screening. If a passenger missed a flight due to a screening delay that would be a problem. Yeah they were cutting it close but we all know that some things happen they we can't control, traffic delays in particular.

Often1 Nov 9, 2018 2:36 pm

A lot of pressure from airport authorities (or equivalent) which depend on retail vendor rent overrides for revenue. PIT handles this by limiting the non-passenger to a single small item similar to the typical air carrier "personal item" and warning that at busy times, ticketed passengers get priority and pass holders may be held up. That's probably not a huge issue at PIT, but at a major station such as SEA which already has long lines, we'll see how it really operates.

Also interesting as TSA is expanding the use of the BP-only system in place at IND and IAD and several other places where there is no BP check, just an ID check, to see how a system which is the opposite is integrated.

As to "pre-check for all" that simply is not happen. Interesting policy arguments, but little practical impact.

N830MH Nov 9, 2018 9:09 pm

All,

Please read the link from Sea-Tac visitor program. You have to do online and don't come at airports unless if you are verified. They will email you.

Here's a link:

https://www.portseattle.org/page/sea...r-pass-program

wesmills Nov 10, 2018 2:46 am

I'm curious what the Port's motivation is here. Other than the SubPop outlet, there's nothing in the airside of the terminals that you can't get outside of the airport (and possibly better since they're not all conglomerated together under one or two airport contractors like HMS or Hudson). Well, maybe also including Poppa Woody's (a joint venture of SubPop and Lil' Woody's restaurant). That said, if you really want to replicate that experience, turning on Spotify while hanging out in Fremont seems better than dealing with the TSA, especially since PreCheck and Clear won't work with this program.

Allan38103 Nov 10, 2018 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 30412726)

I don't have problem with this unless it affects ME.

saizai Nov 10, 2018 5:28 am

1. AFAIK, most airlines will issue "gate passes", e.g. to meet someone.

2. AFAIK, there is no law that permits TSA to refuse to screen someone someone who is not flying, nor to refuse passage to someone who clears screening.

petaluma1 Nov 11, 2018 6:59 am