Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why do TSA agents at the podium care so much that you have your ID and BP in hand?

Why do TSA agents at the podium care so much that you have your ID and BP in hand?

Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I went through security at some airport recently (don't remember where) where they scanned my BP twice within 20 seconds, once on entering the security line and a second time on reaching the security check proper.
An airport in the US?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
The last thing we need to be doing is calling fellow passengers names.

Maybe if the whole process of dealing with airports was less stressful, there would be fewer people "fumbling with their documents at the desk". Of course, TSA is a major source of that stress.
Wouldn't it be nice of TSA would acknowledge that instead of blaming passengers when things go wrong? Increase in "air rage" and, allegedly, assaults on screeners are up 31% from 26 in 2016 to 34 in 2017 - how much can be traced to the stress caused by TSA?

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/inv.../283-611884519
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Wouldn't it be nice of TSA would acknowledge that instead of blaming passengers when things go wrong? Increase in "air rage" and, allegedly, assaults on screeners are up 31% from 26 in 2016 to 34 in 2017 - how much can be traced to the stress caused by TSA?

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/inv.../283-611884519
I don't believe that TSA would ever admit to being part of the problem.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles
When I go to a TSA checkpoint, the screener just takes a glance at my ID, scribbles on my BP, and sends me on my way.

Meanwhile, their British and Irish counterparts only want the boarding pass. The UK has machines scanning the passes instead of an actual person, and I only needed to show my passport to the gate agent when I boarded.

Wouldn't a BP scanner suffice to enter a checkpoint?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by mywanderlust
When I go to a TSA checkpoint, the screener just takes a glance at my ID, scribbles on my BP, and sends me on my way.

Meanwhile, their British and Irish counterparts only want the boarding pass. The UK has machines scanning the passes instead of an actual person, and I only needed to show my passport to the gate agent when I boarded.

Wouldn't a BP scanner suffice to enter a checkpoint?
I"m sure it would, but the reason why the TDCs check the BP against the ID is that a tiny number of people have gained access to the sterile area using BPs that either were not theirs, or were for flights that had already taken place. Some of those folks later actually gained access to aircraft and stowed away. Which scared the livin' bejeebus out of an already panicky population, who demanded that "something must be done!"
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I"m sure it would, but the reason why the TDCs check the BP against the ID is that a tiny number of people have gained access to the sterile area using BPs that either were not theirs, or were for flights that had already taken place. Some of those folks later actually gained access to aircraft and stowed away. Which scared the livin' bejeebus out of an already panicky population, who demanded that "something must be done!"
It's not unusual to read on the TSA Twitter site of someone who got through TSA with a BP that wasn't theirs.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Of course, if the already panicky population ever traveled outside the US or took time to better inform themselves, they would realize that even when someone gets through a checkpoint with a fake ID or BP (or nothing at all), TSA is always quick to assure us that the flying public was never in any danger because of the more-than-compensatory other 20 layers of security.

A fancy way of saying what the rest of the world realizes: if the checkpoint folks have done their jobs, ID doesn't matter because no one is getting on a plane with anything that could be a threat to aviation security.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
The last thing we need to be doing is calling fellow passengers names.

Maybe if the whole process of dealing with airports was less stressful, there would be fewer people "fumbling with their documents at the desk". Of course, TSA is a major source of that stress.
A major source of my airport "stress" is the assortment of dunderheads who can't seem to grasp the simple requirements of going through security. They fumble with documents, wear heavy watches and jewelry going through the metal detector, throw a hissy fit when pulled aside for a pat down, argue when caught with a tub of cold cream or stand at the belt rummaging through their carry-on because they didn't think the requirement to take laptops out applied to them too.

At least the TSA is making the effort to get us through the process faster by reminding the dunderheards to have their documents at the ready, etc. when they reach the front of the line.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
... reminding the dunderheards to have their documents at the ready, etc. when they reach the front of the line.
<redacted by moderator>, I have no problem with appropriate reminders that documents should be ready for presentation.

Yelling at people that they need to have docs ready is grossly inappropriate.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 9, 2018 at 9:50 am Reason: FT Rule 12.2 - Personal exchange
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by davie355
<redacted by moderator>, I have no problem with appropriate reminders that documents should be ready for presentation.

Yelling at people that they need to have docs ready is grossly inappropriate.
Sometimes dunderheads need to be yelled at to get the point across. When I hear the TSA agents yelling I don't take it personally because I know it doesn't apply to me but to those too dense to keep their documents ready for presentation. YMMV.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 9, 2018 at 9:50 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:31 am

Sometimes dunderheads need to be yelled at to get the point across. When I hear the TSA agents yelling I don't take it personally because I know it doesn't apply to me but to those too dense to keep their documents ready for presentation. YMMV.
Those "dunderheads" don't think it applies to them either.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Somehow at airports across the world, security folks manage to get their message across, often to a group of people speaking a much wider range of non-native languages than at the usual checkpoint in the US - and somehow, around the world, security screeners outside the US manage to speak to 'dunderheads' in a normal, individual-focused tone of voice.

And the lines are almost always shorter and/or faster.

Of course, if I am at a checkpoint and I don't speak the language and someone is yelling to the world at large, I ignore it unless it is specifically addressed to me.

I ignore it just like I generally ignore dogs barking and drivers honking at the world at large.

And the lines are almost always shorter and/or faster.

IMHO, the real 'dunderheads' are the folks who claim to be professionals but who can't get their message across without mindless unfocused yelling and barking. Professionals at checkpoints around the world - and sometimes here in the US - are capable of communicating directly and with an 'inside' voice.
Boggie Dog and saizai like this.

Last edited by chollie; Nov 15, 2018 at 11:20 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Those "dunderheads" don't think it applies to them either.
Honestly none do, your right. In almost all cases its just people not paying attention (talking on the phone, navel gazing, corraling the kids, etc). Those few who are actually being "dunderheads" never really want to admit that they are not meeting expectations, its embarrassing. Just people being people.

TSORon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.