Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Children's Fingerprints for GE/Nexus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond

I know a lot of people get their kids enrolled in GE/Nexus, specially since Nexus is free for children. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on giving up your children's fingerprints? I'm definitely no privacy freak, I gave mine up willingly no problem. I'm on the fence. Part of me just can't help but feel like it's not my decision to give my children's fingerprints away. The other part of me really wants to still be able to use the GE/Nexus lines while travelling haha!
pilot007 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

The Trusted Travelers forum is informational. Members come there in search of information and practical advice about applying for the various Trusted Travelers programs and using them.

Commentary, opinion and debate of the privacy implications of fingerprinting children belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum. Please follow this thread as it moves there.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Troubler
I know a lot of people get their kids enrolled in GE/Nexus, specially since Nexus is free for children. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on giving up your children's fingerprints? I'm definitely no privacy freak, I gave mine up willingly no problem. I'm on the fence. Part of me just can't help but feel like it's not my decision to give my children's fingerprints away. The other part of me really wants to still be able to use the GE/Nexus lines while travelling haha!
God bless you. These parents who willingly do so could one day come to regret their decision as it's not their to make; it's the child's.

As I said in an earlier thread, the TSA does not require ID from an individual until the age 18; why do they believe that the same person should be required to give his/her fingerprints to use PreCheck between the ages of 13 and 18? Is this just another way to get more money from citizens, especially since TSA itself gets the largest chunk of your $85.

You can sacrifice for your child's well-being until they are legally of age.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Originally Posted by petaluma1
As I said in an earlier thread, the TSA does not require ID from an individual until the age 18; why do they believe that the same person should be required to give his/her fingerprints to use PreCheck between the ages of 13 and 18? Is this just another way to get more money from citizens, especially since TSA itself gets the largest chunk of your $85.
This OP's question concerns fingerprinting children for Global Entry and NEXUS (which are administered by the CBP and CBSA), not TSA Pre✓.

Please get back on topic.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parents make all kinds of decisions that can last a lifetime for their children. If the family travels internationally a fair amount then each parent group should decide if they want to enroll their children in a Trusted Travelers program like GE. I don't see the issue, government already knows who the children are, they are reported on tax returns, have SSN's, and other information that's in official records.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 14, 2018 at 8:40 am
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I’ve had too much fresh air today, but I don’t understand the concern here.
Beltway2A, Often1 and 84fiero like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
If you apply for GE you need a passport. If you apply for a passport you will get fingerprinted at time of GE. Thus, you need to be open to giving up your fingerprints.
Plus many foreign countries and even ours are routinely doing finger print scans at the borders.

Get over it!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
The days of anonymity are long since over. I won't even blink when I sign up my kids for Global Entry in the next few months.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Collierkr
If you apply for GE you need a passport. If you apply for a passport you will get fingerprinted at time of GE. Thus, you need to be open to giving up your fingerprints.
Plus many foreign countries and even ours are routinely doing finger print scans at the borders.

Get over it!
We don’t have to give up fingerprints for passports here in Canada. We went through the regular line with just passports last week going into the US and there were no fingerprint machines. GE is still optional.

I’m not saying I’m completely opposed to having my children’s fingerprints taken. As I said in my original post I’m on the fence. I’m just curious what people’s thoughts are.

I will agree with some of the other posters that anonymity is definitely on the way out and this is becoming more and more moot. Still I just can’t fully shake the idea that giving up fingerprints is my children’s decision.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond

We don’t have to give up fingerprints for passports here in Canada. We went through the regular line with just passports last week going into the US and there were no fingerprint machines. GE is still optional.

I’m not saying I’m completely opposed to having my children’s fingerprints taken. As I said in my original post I’m on the fence. I’m just curious what people’s thoughts are.

I will agree with some of the other posters that anonymity is definitely on the way out and this is becoming more and more moot. Still I just can’t fully shake the idea that giving up fingerprints is my children’s decision.
Children's fingerprints generally change anyway (drastically for young children), so by the time they are an adult, they can make the decision if they want to renew etc and provide their 'new' fingerprint.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of all the privacy concerns which may exist, fingerprints concern me the least. If anything, they serve to provide positive ID in some very messy situations.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

I understand your concerns but our American friends might not. One of the distinguishing features that separate Canadians from Americans is fingerprinting. It's commonly used as a means of identification in America than in Canada. I had never been fingerprinted until I applied for Nexus.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I wonder what the OP does if he takes his child to a country that requires retinal scans?? ie Canada
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

gotcha. Thanks for clarifying as I was thinking US.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I wonder what the OP does if he takes his child to a country that requires retinal scans?? ie Canada
The OP is Canadian.
We don’t have to give up fingerprints for passports here in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.