Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Children's Fingerprints for GE/Nexus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on Children's Fingerprints for GE/Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:20 pm

This is a pretty interesting topic because it shows how times change. When my children were young (okay it was a few decades ago) the push was to get children's fingerprints on file as a safety and identification measure. The idea was that if your child went missing, having those fingerprints on file would make identification much easier. The police and local pre-schools set up "finger-printing clinics." No one worried about child privacy. They were worried about child safety.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I submitted my fingerprints to the FBI at age 11 in order to get a Fingerprinting Merit Badge from the Boy Scouts. I’ve given them since for a Concealed Handgun Permit, for GE, and for a Permanent Residence Card in Germany. Black helicopters have never circled my house.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pt flyer
This is a pretty interesting topic because it shows how times change. When my children were young (okay it was a few decades ago) the push was to get children's fingerprints on file as a safety and identification measure. The idea was that if your child went missing, having those fingerprints on file would make identification much easier. The police and local pre-schools set up "finger-printing clinics." No one worried about child privacy. They were worried about child safety.
Yeah, I actually had a child find card done with my fingerprint, that was like 30 years ago though. Haven’t seen anything like it with my kids these days.

It’s interesting to see how different it is in the US. I didn’t realize there were so many different scenarios down there that used fingerprints.

As for the poster that asked about the iris scanning in Canada, we only do iris scans for Nexus entry. When I return home to Canada with my children we go through the regular passport line (since my kids don’t have Nexus yet). So, no iris scan done.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
The days of anonymity are long since over. I won't even blink when I sign up my kids for Global Entry in the next few months.
Originally Posted by BSBD
I submitted my fingerprints to the FBI at age 11 in order to get a Fingerprinting Merit Badge from the Boy Scouts. I’ve given them since for a Concealed Handgun Permit, for GE, and for a Permanent Residence Card in Germany. Black helicopters have never circled my house.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Maybe I’ve had too much fresh air today, but I don’t understand the concern here.
Originally Posted by Often1
Of all the privacy concerns which may exist, fingerprints concern me the least. If anything, they serve to provide positive ID in some very messy situations.
For those who don't understand the concern, read about Brandon Mayfield. He was an American arrested and held essentially incommunicado for over 2 weeks for involvement in the 2004 Madrid bombings because of a so-called partial fingerprint match. 19 other families had their privacy seriously invaded as a result of near matches as well.

From Wikipedia:

20 possible matches for one of the fingerprints were found in the FBI database and one of the possible matches was Brandon Mayfield. His prints were in the FBI database as they were taken as part of standard procedure when he joined the military.
. . .
The FBI described the fingerprint match as "100% verified".
. . .
Based on that list of people with "similar prints" the FBI launched an extensive investigation of all 20 individuals using letters of national security. The investigation included medical records, financial records, employment records, etc. on all 20 people and their families.
If your fingerprints (or DNA) aren't in the database, you can't be the victim of a partial/bad match. If your fingerprints (or DNA) are already in the system for whatever reason (government service, teacher, etc.), your privacy calculus is different from someone with no such history. A young child has the cleanest most anonymous history possible. Why ruin that to gain a bit of convenience?

I myself only consented to have my kid fingerprinted for use in the event of a potential abduction by an organization that collected the prints and gave the only copy to the parents. If my kid got abducted, I would be happy to give the prints to the cops. Otherwise, it's not worth the present or future risk to him.

DNA is even worse (23-and-me, etc.). You are subjecting not only yourself and your kids but your siblings, parents, and even cousins to this risk.
jfunk138, petaluma1 and Troubler like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Thank you studentff! I’d never heard that, definitely reinforces my hesitation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.