Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Screener misses a can of pepper spray-goes off in the cabin while plane is in flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screener misses a can of pepper spray-goes off in the cabin while plane is in flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Looks like someone will be paying a fine and someone will be sent for retaining...

Bolding mine:

ABC News has reached out to the TSA for comment on the apparent failed security screening at Oakland International Airport....
https://abc7news.com/flight-to-hawai...cabin/4114705/
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Or the headline could read "Moron brings can of pepper spray on to airplane".
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Looks like someone will be paying a fine and someone will be sent for retaining...
"Someone will be sent for retraining"? How, exactly? I find it extremely unlikely that video tape evidence will show a screener not finding a can of pepper spray.

There might --- might --- be a chance that video tape evidence might find the screener who screened the passenger that carried the can aboard the aircraft. But as we frequently point out in this forum, the passenger could just as easily have gotten that can from some other passenger after passing through screening, so the failure to discover the can on the passenger at the time of screening doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by jkhuggins; Sep 1, 2018 at 9:57 am Reason: markup problems
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:00 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
"Someone will be sent for retraining"? How, exactly? I find it extremely unlikely that video tape evidence will show a screener not finding a can of pepper spray.

There might --- might --- be a chance that video tape evidence might find the screener who screened the passenger that carried the can aboard the aircraft. But as we frequently point out in this forum, the passenger could just as easily have gotten that can from some other passenger after passing through screening, so the failure to discover the can on the passenger at the time of screening doesn't mean anything.
What we don't know is if the can of pepper spray was on the passenger's person or in their carry on bag when they cleared security or as you say, possibly given to the passenger in question by another passenger who had already cleared security but....

1. If the can of pepper spray was on the passenger's person* as they passed thru, the WTMD should have "beeped": WTMD fail
  2. If the can of pepper spray was in the passenger's carry on bag* which then passed thru the x-ray machine-it should have been seen by the x-ray scanner operator: x-ray machine operator fail
  3. If the can of pepper spray was given to the passenger in question by another passenger who had already cleared security, it's either 1 or 2 above

*as noted perviously, the passenger is a moron
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Or the headline could read "Moron brings can of pepper spray on to airplane".
No.

There are millions of decent folks who fly every day - for the first time in their lives or the first time in many years. They don't watch the news or obsess about TSA - or even really know much about it. They know they're not terrorists, everyone they know knows they are not terrorists. They don't expect to show up at the airport and find that they automatically guilty of some nefarious intention - or of just not being a well-informed frequent flyer.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:04 pm

A few observations about the story...

They use the word "can" when describe the pepper spray which leads us to believe it is something large and easy to see. Have you ever seen pepper spray containers? Most are very small and made of plastic so a metal detector is not going to alarm on it. Pepper spray does not come in a soft drink size can that would be easy to detect unless it was perhaps for law enforcement use.

it is also doubtful an agent on the x-ray will see it as out of the ordinary either. The article said the container was 1.5 ounce. Think about how little that is and the container it was in. It is way less than 3.4 ounces that agents are looking for. It would just blend right in with all the other small liquid containers. There is not much more training that can be done to identify something like that unless someone is suggesting that agents have to pull every bag with a LGA's in it and visually inspect the contents...and nobody wants that.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:31 pm

Exactly. Some are the size of lipsticks or fountain pens.... I'm cynical enough to believe the word "can" was used "for effect"..to make folks think of military/police grenade sized containers....
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rolling_stone
A few observations about the story...

They use the word "can" when describe the pepper spray which leads us to believe it is something large and easy to see. Have you ever seen pepper spray containers? Most are very small and made of plastic so a metal detector is not going to alarm on it. Pepper spray does not come in a soft drink size can that would be easy to detect unless it was perhaps for law enforcement use.

it is also doubtful an agent on the x-ray will see it as out of the ordinary either. The article said the container was 1.5 ounce. Think about how little that is and the container it was in. It is way less than 3.4 ounces that agents are looking for. It would just blend right in with all the other small liquid containers. There is not much more training that can be done to identify something like that unless someone is suggesting that agents have to pull every bag with a LGA's in it and visually inspect the contents...and nobody wants that.

Seems not all checkpoints require removing the Freedom Baggy all the time so 1.5 oz could slip by easy enough as you noted.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:37 pm

Having worked behind an x-ray machine (but not for TSA), I can say with some certainty that the usual smallish pepper spray container doesn't look like anything special. It just doesn't look that different than any other metal spray bottle with a plastic top. Think travel size hair spray, shaving cream, deodorant, etc. The plastic spray apparatus is different because of the locking mechanism, but in a bag full of other stuff it's not at all difficult to see how it wouldn't stand out--especially to someone who's really looking for explosives, firearms, and sharp objects.

Having carried one in a messenger bag for a couple years and having "forgotten" it several times when my bag was x-rayed at various office buildings, I can also say that I'm not the only one that didn't think it was anything special.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie

Bolding mine:

https://abc7news.com/flight-to-hawai...cabin/4114705/
As is the case with other TSA transgressions, we, the citizens, will pay dearly for this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: RFC
For those that didn't know, as mentioned above, 1.5 ounces is not a big "can" and can be about the size of a lip stick case. It could easily be a keyring can. Very common. And very easy to not even think about when dumping your keyring into the bin to be screened. Same for mini-tasers. They come in micro sizes that fit on a key ring nicely. They're about the size of 2 lipstick cases end on end. A screener isn't going note either of them unless they are thinking about looking for them and take the moment to actually physically *look*. That's why *real* security screening involves both an x-ray *and* a physical look at everything going past.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I had a friend that kept a bottle of pepper spray on her keychain (probably of similar size - no more than one ounce or so). Flew pretty much every week and never got caught. She was never worried about it - said the peace of mind it gave her was worth whatever fine they would give her (if they didn't just tell her to throw it away). Given the amount of times that I and others fly with similar aerosol cans (shaving cream, etc) and how rarely those containers fail, we're probably talking about 1 in a million failure rate from the small change in pressurization. In other words, all this tells me is that people bring smaller containers of pepper spray on planes all the time. While it's unfortunate that this one failed and caused a flight to divert, it's really not anything to worry about in the grand scheme of things.

Unless you really think a terrorist is going to bring down a plane with a tiny can of pepper spray... but come on, really?
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
I had a friend that kept a bottle of pepper spray on her keychain (probably of similar size - no more than one ounce or so). Flew pretty much every week and never got caught. She was never worried about it - said the peace of mind it gave her was worth whatever fine they would give her (if they didn't just tell her to throw it away). Given the amount of times that I and others fly with similar aerosol cans (shaving cream, etc) and how rarely those containers fail, we're probably talking about 1 in a million failure rate from the small change in pressurization. In other words, all this tells me is that people bring smaller containers of pepper spray on planes all the time. While it's unfortunate that this one failed and caused a flight to divert, it's really not anything to worry about in the grand scheme of things.

Unless you really think a terrorist is going to bring down a plane with a tiny can of pepper spray... but come on, really?
If only TSA's failure rate was so good.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:56 pm

Wow, going through Canadian airport security (domestic) I didn't know anybody could be more incompetent. They had my bag for secondary screening. She asked if I had any sharp or fragile objects (nope). Had already taken out laptop and camera. She had no idea what she was searching for. The liquid was too big? Nope, within size.
Never any issues in the US. Only had issues in Indonesia before because they didn't know what an electric toothbrush was (which makes sense, I don't think people there really use it).

The Canadians are definitely nicer but they seem even more incompetent than TSA.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Since a clerk missed the can of pepper spray, the TSA response will certainly be that as a result, all cans of pepper spray must be taken out and put into a bin. Also, a more enhanced (to the already enhanced) patdown of passengers will be rolled out, since patting down someone is the best way to find stuff in a carry-on bag. A super double-secret patdown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.